Ch 1

Where Did You Come From, Moon Sung Mi? (어디에서 왔는지?)

Chapter 1:

 

“Yoongi have you ever fallen in love?” Hoseok asks, laying down on his bed with his arms crossed over a pillow and his legs folded in the air.

“Why do you ask? Do you need advice, cus I think Jimin is the better choice here-”

“No silly, I'm just asking.”

“Oh, well, maybe.”

“What do you mean maybe?” Jungkook says as he enters the room, leaning against the door frame.

“That maybe I was in love and never noticed or she was in love with me and I-“

“Wait, wait. Who's she?” They both say.          

“Damn, um-”

“Don't try to get yourself out of this one, you said she, now we have to know.” Hoseok smirks and Jungkook giggles.

“God dammit you're both like my sister.” He pushes his hair out of his face. “Fine okay, but sit down, this is a long story…”

 

{~}

 

“Okay kids, please greet our new classmate. She's from, um, out of town, so give her a warm welcome and treat her nicely.”

 

I wasn't really paying attention to what our eighth grade teacher said at the time; I was working on schoolwork as usual and blocking out the rest of the world when Junhyung, he was one of my best friends, he tapped me on the shoulder and told me “I think you should see this.”

I looked up and I don't know if it was the best or the worst decision I ever made in my entire life.

She looked our age but at the same time seemed older, more mature; but even then she had a mischievous air to her, I don't know if that makes sense. She didn't look ordinary either, you could tell she was a foreigner, or maybe a gyopo, but I never got the chance to ask her.

She had light brown hair, not the type you get from dying it, and eyes that were dark but weren't brown; they looked slightly grey with green towards the middle. And her face was just, perfect, I guess. I don't know why I felt like I was seeing the best thing ever created in front of me but I just…did.

She bowed and introduced herself with the most unique name I’d ever heard; I'd probably give all I have to hear it again.

 

“Hello, I'm Moon Sung Mi, nice to meet you all. Please take care of me.”

 

Her voice sounded so nice my stomach started hurting and a million thoughts crossed my mind; she's beautiful and her voice is perfect as well. I think I'll die young.

 

Thoughts like that; I felt in danger but at the same time at peace; it was such a weird feeling, and I wanted to get rid of it.

 

My resolve to try to stop the movement in my stomach was made a million times more difficult when the teacher sat her next to me.

For the short time she was there, I would always catch myself staring at her when I finished work or the teacher wasn't looking. One day she caught me and I was mortified.

Would she feel disgusted or pleased; or would she not care at all. But she looked into my eyes and smiled, all the while her eyes looked sad as if, for some odd reason, she knew I liked her but I wouldn't be able to.

And I swear to this day, I still believe she was actually trying to protect me from falling deeper in love with her.

 

Anything she did, I adored it; even if it were absurd, I would find a way of loving it or making it appealing.

The way she would say hello; making the last syllable a bit lower than the others, the way she would sometimes snort when someone told an extremely funny joke, the way she would say hello; making the last syllable a bit lower than the other, the way she looked at her paper before starting a test; scrunching up her nose and getting hiccups if the first few problems seemed impossible, the way she glowed whenever she answered a question in class correctly or got a high score on a test. All that affected me, some for the better, some for the worse.

 

Even though I'm not sure if I actually fell in love with her, I'm certain it was on its way to becoming that. I knew she would never return my feelings, she was just so perfect, and she would never fall for a guy like me, she’d never love me back.

 

And that was, well, sadly true.

 

She never gave me the time of day, she meant well by it I'm sure, she didn't even ask for my name as seatmates. And as the time passed by, I stopped staring at her so often and started concentrating on work once again; blocking her out with the rest of the class.

 

Until one day…

She spoke to me.

 

“Um, Yoongi, right?” She said, poking my shoulder. I turned to her and actually saw directly into her eyes. They weren't the color I thought they were, it was much more than what I thought it'd be.

One of her eyes had a small spot in the corner of her iris that had a spot of blue, the blue that colors the sky when the sun rises. The other had a spot of the same size but green and in the opposite part of the eye.

The whole iris was a dark sea green, like the feathers of a peacock. Her eyelashes were dark and they made her eyes look huge.

She smiled at me, “Caught you again! You shouldn't stare so much!” She laughed and I felt like I was drowning. I seriously thought I was going to die.

Her laugh rang through my mind and sometimes when I’m on the street, I hear it out of nowhere and turn to look for her like an idiot knowing that she’d never be in Korea; for some odd reason, that thought stuck with me forever.

 

“Um, hello? Earth to Min Yoongi?” She waved her hand in my face; my mind was elsewhere at the time, not sure where.

“Y-Yeah?” I stuttered. I regret stuttering so easily in front of her. She just giggled, her eyes turning into small little moons. She twirled her hair around her forefinger and smiled at me.

“I need help getting to the library today, I have to check out some books and I-” She said but I idiotically interrupted her.

“Haven’t you been here for almost a month, meaning you should know your way around the school, not to mention we've been to the library countless times for class.” She gave me a look and I immediately regretted my long winded answer, “Y-You know, just saying.” I stared at my pencil in my hand and started lightly hitting my desk with it, hoping to get the thought of her already hating me out of my mind.

She reached over and covered my hand with hers.

 

Her hand was warm, contrasting with my cold one. I felt a bolt of electricity run through me as she laid her hand on top of mine, making my heart beat a thousand times faster. Then she intertwined my fingers with mine and I snapped out of it.

 

“Do you want to give me a heart attack?” I whispered loudly to her. She just laughed. All I ever heard from her was her sweet laugh.

“So you’ll help me get to the library. Meet me by my locker after school ends.” She snatched my pencil from my hand as the bell rang for lunch, “And thanks for the pencil.”

 

She winked at me and left the room, holding my pencil in her hand when it felt like she was holding onto my heart.

 

{~}