Ch. 4: Are you free?

The Heir

           The beautiful lady stares was frigid that frighten her opponent. Jiyeon grab her bag and stand—ready to leave the room. “I’m sorry for taking so much of your time. I’ll be leaving now. Thank you so much for your help.” Her tone trembles as she lightly bow to Nichkhun. She takes her first step, but immediately stop.

            Nichkhun grab her left wrist, stop her from taking any more steps. “No, you stay. You still have time with me.” Nichkhun said, simply.

            Her eyes wonders with confusion as she gazes at him.

The lady by the door give Jiyeon another unpleasant looks as she walks up to Nichkhun and her. “I am not important to you, Nichkhun?” She asked.

            “I’m sorry, I don’t recall you making an appointment with me or my secretary, so it will be great if you can leave.” He said in an unwelcoming tone.

            “I’m sorry, last time I check your girlfriend don’t need an appointment to see you.” She said, stubbornly.

            “Girlfriend? He just told me he does not have a girlfriend.” She murmured inside her head.

            “Victoria, we are not together. Please leave.” He was not pleased to see her here in his office.

            “Nichkhun Horvejkul, you are a cruel man.” Victoria abrupt.

            “Leave.” His cold shivers Jiyeon, who is standing not too far from him.

            Victoria angrily storm out of his office. Jiyeon nervously tighten her grip, wishing to leave this awkward and frighten atmosphere that Victoria have left behind.

            “Sorry about this inconvenient. Please have a seat.” He said.

            Jiyeon sit down again and nervously looks at him. “Um, you shouldn’t have...”

            “It’s fine. Our interview is not over yet. I didn’t get to know you.” He said as he penetrate her with his gaze. “It’s not fair if you’re the only one asking those and not me. I want to know about you.” Nichkhun place his elbows on the arms of the chair with his fingers at his lips.

            Jiyeon stare at his lips…it is distracting her.

            “There’s not much to know. You can tell that I’m pretty much boring.” She said.

            “Boring?” Nichkhun smiles. “I think you’re more than that. For a pretty young lady, I think you have an interesting life.”

            She flushes bright pink.

            “What are your plan after you graduate?”

            She shrug. “Find a decent job. I don’t know.” She murmured inside her head. “I haven’t made any plans yet, for now I’m focusing on discovering myself and school.”

            Nichkhun raise his eyebrows, throwing an interest looks at her. “Well, if you plan on looking for a job, we run an excellent internship program here.” He saids in a soft yet quiet tone.

            Jiyeon was surprised.

            “Would you like to try it out?” He asked.

            “I don’t think I’d fit in here.” She accidentally saids it out loud.

            “Why would you said that?” He asked with a hint of smile.

            “Everybody here is much smarter and talented than I am. There are probably other that fit this position than I am.” She said in a unconfident tone.

            “To me, you fit.” He gaze is more intense and serious.

            Jiyeon body tense as she looks down at her notebook.

            “Would you like a tour?” He asked.

            “No, that’s okay. You have busy schedule. I don’t want to bother you anymore. I have to get going. My shift start in an hour.”

            Nichkhun looks out the window, it’s snowing, not to heavy or shallow. “It’s snowing and cold. The road must be icy. Drive carefully.” He said.

            “Thank you for the interview, Mr. Horvej—I mean Nichkhun.”

            “You’re welcome.” As she rise, he stands and hold out his hand. “Hope to see you again, soon.” He said.

            “Why do I feel it will really happen?” I shake his hand, “When will we meet again? Probably, never.” Suddenly, she feel an electric wave shocking through her entire body.

            Walking her to the door, he open it wide. He give her a small smile. She flush. He continues to her to the elevator, press the button. They wait for the elevator together. Jiyeon could not lift her head up to look at him. She was too nervous. The doors open, and she hurry in. He put his hand on the door, holding it back from closing. Jiyeon gaze at him nervously.

            “If you ever change your mind, please give me a call.” He said.

            She let out a small smile as she looks into his intense gaze. “Thank you and goodbye, Nichkhun.” She saids.

            “Bye Jiyeon.” He reply. He move his hand back and the doors close.

            Jiyeon let out a deep breath as she feel her heart pounding against her chest. The elevator arrives on the first floor, and immediately she scramble out of the building. A step outside of the building, she looks up at the sky, inhaling and exhaling cool yet fresh breeze. She close her eyes, letting the snow melt on her skin. In her life, no man has ever affected her the way Nichkhun has. Just his gaze drive her mind crazy, his voice makes her heart skip a beat, and his smiles makes her flush. Her cellphone rings. She open her eyes, pull her cellphone out and answer.

            “Jiyeon-ah, how did it go?” Guk Joo asked.

            Jiyeon paused as she recall everything that happen in his office; the conversation, physical touch and movement, and his “ex” girlfriend barging into his office and shot a fierce gaze at her. “It went well.” She reply.

            “Great. Did you record the conversation?” Guk Joo asked.

            Jiyeon realized she left her recorder in his office. “Shot!” She said.

            “What? What happen?”

            “I left the recorder in his office.” She reply. “But no worries, I also wrote it down for you.”

            “Thank you so much. You are a life saver.” Said Guk Joo, gratefully.

            “You’re welcome. I’m heading to work now. I’ll see you in a bit.”

            “See you later.” Guk Joo saids before ending the call.

            Jiyeon put her phone back in her bag before she shakes her head, “It was just an interview, Jiyeon. Forget about it!” She scold herself. Walking to the bus stop, she stand and wait patiently as she stares at the ground, recalling the interview again.

            Standing at the fifth floor, Nichkhun looks down at Jiyeon with a hint a smile.

            “You like her don’t you?” Taecyeon asked as Yunho and him walks up to Nichkhun

            “She’s cute and pretty.” He said without taking his eyes off her.

            “You, fascinated by a woman? That’s a first” Taecyeon tease.

            “She is pretty.” Yunho comment.

            After Jiyeon get on the bus, Nichkhun turn around with smiles as he walks to the elevator.

            “You follow her just down to here? Why didn’t you offer to give her a ride?” Taecyeon asked.

            “She seem frighten by me.” He said as he enter the elevator.

            “What did you do?” Taecyeon ask. Yunho smiles lightly.

            “I did nothing. Victoria barge into my office and frighten her.”

            “Oh wow, I miss the drama!” Taecyeon said, excitedly.

            Nichkhun flash a glared at him. “There was no drama.”

            Taecyeon smiles as he slide his hands in his pant pocket.

            “Anyway, how is the next brand line coming?”

            “So good so far. The photoshoot is tomorrow.” Yunho reply.

            “I want to come along.” Taecyeon said.

            “You check out the model or help me with the business?”

            “Of course to help you Yunho.” Taecyeon smiles widely.  

            Yunho shook his head jokingly, not believing what he said.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            For the next two days, it has been great for Jiyeon. She was back to herself again...away from the flaming and breath taking interview she had at the Horvejkul Enterprise. She manage to fully focus in school and work without thinking about Nichkhun Horvejkul nor the interview.

“Jiyeon-ah, I won’t be home tonight. I have to meet with my group and finish the final step for the proposal.” Guk Joo shout.

“Okay.” Jiyeon reply. She walks up to the corner of the kitchen, grab the electric mop, and carry it with her. She begin mopping on the other end of the room. The doors bell ring lightly and a customer enter the shop. A couple staff stop and stares at the tall with lean muscular, and very good-looking man walks pass them.

            “Ann—annyoung.” The staffs nervously greeted him.

            Nichkhun flashes a small smile at them. Two young ladies flushes with their hands at their chest. “So handsome.” The women said.

            Jiyeon finish cleaning two corner, and now, she turn around and move to the center but startles by a hard muscular chest and falls back. Nichkhun reach his right hand out and grab one of her hand, he wrap his other free hand around her and pull her to him. A hot breeze brush against her cheeks as her right hand rest on his chest, she feels his heart beating fast against her palm. He greeted her with a sweet and warm smile with his hands intertwine in the back.  

            “Hi. We meet again.” Nichkhun said, gently smiling.

            “Hi.” She said, softly. “If it wasn’t for his handsome face and lean yet muscular body, he would have fit the role of a murderer so well; the quiet feet, gentle yet intense smiles and stares.” She whisper inside her head.

            “Mianhe, I didn’t mean to scare you. I thought you heard me coming.”

            “You have quiet feet.” She shyly said. “Umm… can you let…”

            Nichkhun release her before she could finish. “Are you free?” He ask.

            Jiyeon nervously look into his eyes as she searches for words to said inside her head. The ladies standing behind the counter whispers to each other as they watch Nichkhun and Jiyeon.

            “Yes.” She whisper again.

            Nichkhun smiles.

            “Would you like to drink something?” Jiyeon asked.

            “A cappuccino.”

            Jiyeon walks to the counter, walking pass the ladies who still standing there and admiring Nichkhun from afar. Standing in front of the barista machine, she reach over to the cup rack and grabs two mugs. She turns on the machine and begin brewing, stirring, and boiling…ways that make a perfect cup of cappuccino.

            Ten minutes at the café bar, Jiyeon carries two mugs over Nichkhun who is seating by the window, looking outside. She carefully place one in front of him and then take a sit across from him with her own mug on the table. She glance at him, sketching his perfect face inside her. Nichkhun fix his attention on Jiyeon again with a warm and sweet smile.

            He take a quick glimpse around the room before fixing his eyes on her again. “This is such a nice area.” He said, breaking the silent. “How long have you been working here?” He ask.

            “For almost a year now.” She reply, “What are you doing here?”
            He his head, “Is there something wrong with me being here?”

            “No. No. It’s just that, you’re a busy man. You have load of works or papers to sign. Or going around controlling people.”

            He light up with a smile. “I really like your honesty, Miss Park.”

            “Jiyeon, please.”

            “Sorry.” He apologize. He reach his hand into his pocket and pull out a silver small rectangle tech. It’s a recorder. “You forgot about this.” He slide the recorder across the table to her.

            Jiyeon look at it, take it, and store it in her apron. “Thank you.

Nichkhun look at his cappuccino, carries it up to his lips, and take a sip.

            “This is good.” He praise. “I wish I can drink this every morning.”

            She flush with smiles. “Thank you.”

            “You have a beautiful smile.” He praised. “You should smile more.” He his head with a charming and sweet eyes.

            Jiyeon could not stop herself from smiling. She look to the side and cover her smile with her hand.

            “How is the paper going?” He ask.

            “Umm…honestly, I was drafted to the interviewed. My friend, Guk Joo was supposed to interview you, not me. She was sick that day, and so, I attended in her place. But everything is going well, now, she working hard on it to publish it in a magazine soon. All she’s missing is a photo. ” She truthfully said.

            “Oh.” He reply.

“Sorry.” She observed his facial expression, not a single disappointment coming from him.

 “It okay. If you need anything, I’ll be gladly to help out.” He said.

            “You will?” Jiyeon shockingly looks at him. 

            “Yes, for you.” He said.

            “For me? What does he mean for me?” Jiyeon whispered inside her head as she tries to keep herself calm and cool.

            Nichkhun reach the inner pocket of his jacket and pull out a card. He hold it in front of me. “This is my card, it has my cell number on it. Just give me a call.” He said.

            Jiyeon body was tense as she take the card and glimpse at it. “Thank you.” She whisper.

            “But in return, it would be nice if you can attend an event with me this weekend.” He said, calmly.

            “I think it’s better if someone that is at your level go with you.” She forcefully said those words. 

             “I have a level? I thought all human are at the same level?” He said, jokingly.

            She let out a small laugh. “You are rich, handsome, and talent. Every girl want you.”

            “Do you?” He surprises her with a question of his own interest.

            “Wh—what?”

            “Do you want me?” He repeat, looking at her with seductive gaze. “You said every girl want me, so what about you?”

            Jiyeon nervously gulp as she looks down at her cup.

            “Please down look down. Your face is very pretty and pure, I like to look at it.” He saids, tranquilly.

            She flushes again.

            “Good night Jiyeon. I’ll see you tomorrow in the evening.” The girls shouted as they walks toward the exit.

            Jiyeon looks at them and wave before looking at the clock. It’s already time to close the shop.

            “I’m sorry for keeping you here this long.” He apologized. “Are you free this friday?” He ask, again.

 

To be continue……………………