Chap 5: Siblings

The Fault

Jungkook was sitting awkwardly across from his parents after just have awakening an hour ago by the honk of a car.

"You're so handome and grown up now, Henry." Jungkook's mother said. 

It was hard for Jungkook to get used to the foreign name "Henry" but he smiled.

"Thanks." Jungkook said, eyesmiling. 

"Well. Look at the time. I must be going now." Jungkook's father said as he looked at his watch. His wife nodded and bid him goodbye.

"I have to go get ready for work so your sister will show you around, Henry." She stood up and called upstairs. "Honey! Come down here and show your brother around so I can get ready for work!"

Shannon came rushing downstairs and Jungkook waited with his hands behind his back.

They both met eyes and froze.

"Shannon?" Jungkook choked, completely shocked. Shannon's eyes grew wider than it ever had and her teeth clenched.

"Jungkook?!" She nearly screamed. "What are you doing here!?"

"Oh? You two know each other?" Their mother said, alternating her eyes from one to the other.

Shannon suddenly turned red at the reminder of Jungkook holding her, making her mother's eyes flinch.

"How do you two know each other?" She asked cautiously.

"We went to the dance together. She's a friend." Jungkook said. His mother looked flustered.

"Oh, okay. Friends. Well, she's your sister now. So you two get along and I'll be back by nightfall." She said as she started up the stairs, slightly frowning.

"Okay..." Jungkook breathed. "Now where to-"

"No. You can't be here. You're not supposed to be here." Shannon stated, walking up to him.

"What? Why not?" Jungkook asked.

"There's no way you can be my brother. Absolutely no way." Shannon said.

"What? Why not?" Jungkook asked. Shannon groaned and started back up to her room, Jungkook following.

"Wait. Aren't you supposed to show me around the house?" Jungkook asked, taking Shannon's wrist. Shannon stopped as her heart rate sped. She took deep breaths before turning around to Jungkook.

"Fine. I'll show you your bedroom." Shannon said, before shaking Jungkook's hand off her wrist and continuing up the stairs. Jungkook followed her with bright smile.

"Okay." 

Shannon stopped in front of her bedroom door and pointed to the door next to hers.

"Either this one..." She pointed to one down the hall. "Or that one." She finished.

"Which one's yours?" Jungkook asked.

"This one." She said, pointing forward to her door. 

"Then I want that one." Jungkook stated, gesturing to the one beside Shannon's. Shannon sighed then turned and continued showing Jungkook around the mansion, spending almost three and a half hours of her day.

"And this is another guest bedroom." Shannon said for the ninth time. "The Kims will probably have this one and another downstairs." 

"Who are the Kims?" Jungkook asked, towering a little too close to Shannon. Shannon cleared and shut the door before moving back down the hall.

"The Kims are basically my-I mean-our mom's favorite family. She especially loves their son. She thinks he's so romantic and adorable." Shannon said, a little grossed out. Jungkook nodded.

"When are they coming over?" Jungkook asked.

"Don't know-don't care." Shannon said, crossing her arms and going into her room. Jungkook followed her in.

"Okay. I guess I'll just have to wait for them to show up." Jungkook said as he looked around the room. "You know, I never thought you would have such a feminine room." Jungkook said.

"Whatever. Just go unpack and stop bothering me." Shannon said as she sat on her bed and continued reading one of her older books.

"Oh! I know that book. There's a part where the guy closes the girl's book like this." Jungkook said, holding Shannon's hands and softly shutting the book as he sat beside her.

"Then he kisses her like...this..."

Jungkook leaned in and craned his neck, feeling Shannon's shaky breath on his lips.

Shannon's heart was racing and his veins pulsing.

"Stop!" Shannon said, squeezing her eyes shut and pushing Jungkook back by the chest.

"I'm sorry." Jungkook said. "Did I scare you?" He asked, grinning. Shannon flushed red and pushed Jungkook further with force.

"You're a jerk." Shannon said as she went back to her book. 

"What?" Jungkook said, confused. "I was just telling you about the book. I didn't mean to make you feel that way." Jungkook said. 

Although he felt unsure of his feelings as well.

Shannon huffed and nudged Jungkook's shoulder.

"Go unpack. The Kims might be here anytime." Shannon said, not looking up from her book. 

Jungkook nodded with eyesmile, thankful Shannon wasn't mad anymore, then left.

Shannon shut the bedroom door and locked it before jumping on her bed and squeezing her fists.

"Darn it." She growled.

 

Jungkook was going to get his things from the door when he heard a knock. He opened the door.

"Hello?"

"Hey! I'm here~!" 

Jungkook scanned the man. He was tall, handsome, and cheerful.

"And you are..." Jungkook said. Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's hand and shook.

"You must be Shannon's brother, Henry." Taehyung said. Jungkook nodded with a smile. "Wow. Her brother's as handsome as she is pretty." Taehyung complimented.

Jungkook smiled and thanked Taehyung before Taehyung forced himself in.

"Shannie~! Where are you~?!" Taehyung called.

Jungkook felt an itch when Taehyung called Shannon by a nickname.

"Are you the Kims' son?" Jungkook asked. Taehyung turned back to him and nodded with shiny eyes.

"Yeah. Kim Taehyung." Taehyung said as Shannon came running down the stairs.

"Taehyung! Are your parents here already?" She asked. Taehyung shook his head and met Shannon half-way. Taehyung took Shannon in his arms and swung her around before Shannon smacked his arm.

"I wanted to see you." Taehyung said, ruffling Shannon's hair.

"Why'd you have to come back." Shannon asked under her breath, Taehyung hearing it.

"America isn't as exciting if you spend years there without Shannie." Taehyung said, smiling adorably for Shannon.

"Whatever." Shannon said, nudging Taehyung's forehead. "Idiot."

"Um. I'll be in my bedroom." Jungkook said, although he knew no one was listening. He smiled softly before going upstairs.

"Do you have hot chocolate?" Taehyung asked. 

"No." Shannon lied.

"You're lying. You always have hot chocolate." Taehyung said.

"Okay fine, I do. But you're not getting any." Shannon stated.

"Aww. But I've been waiting forever for a pretty girl to make me hot choco." Taehyung said, making puppy eyes. Shannon scoffed.

"Please. I'm sure you've had a pretty girl make you hot choco. Especially in america"

"No girl's as pretty as you." Taehyung said, flashing his shiny eyes at Shannon. Shannon's heart's in trouble again.

"Shut up. Go make it yourself, prettyboy. It's in the kitchen-"

"But the kitchen's so big-"

"I'll make it." 

Shannon and Taehyung turned their heads to the direction of the soft voice.

"I'll make it for both of you." Jungkook said as he headed to their huge kitchen. 

Luckily, Shannon had showed him where everything in the kitchen was just an hour ago.

"Thank you~" Taehyung thanked as he took Shannon by the wrist and followed Jungkook. "You have such a great brother." Taehyung said to Shannon. 

Shannon merely nodded with worry washing over her face.

Jungkook heated the water up in a pot and waited.

"Cool! The old fashion way!" Taehyung said as he walked in with Shannon.

Jungkook scoffed and smiled.

"Yep. Old fasion." Jungkook repeated.

Taehyung's a cute kid.

"How old are you, Henry?" Taehyung asked as he took a seat with Shannon. Jungkook went and got cups.

"I'm seventeen. You?" Jungkook asked.

"Sixteen!" Taehyung said, as if he was a grade schooler.

"Sixteen. You're Shannon's age." Jungkook said.

"Yep. We're the same age." Taehyung said proudly. "Aren't we, Shannon?" 

Shannon grumbled and sat foreward.

"Yeah. Um, Jungkook. You should hurry with the hot chocolate." Shannon said, trying to change the subject.

"Okay." Jungkook said softly, glancing at her, before picking up speed. 

 

Shannon's heart sped at Jungkook's glance.

 

At every one of his movements.

 

At his lips.

 

At the rise and fall of his chest-

 

"Shannie! Hot Choco's ready!" Taehyung said, waving a hand in front of her eyes. 

She had been spacing out and didn't notice Jungkook leaning on the table in front of her. She turned to her right and saw Taehyung still waving his hand.

"Are you alright, Shannie?" Taehyung asked, worried. Shannon nodded.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Shannon." 

They looked up to see Shannon and Jungkook's father.

"Go to your room with Taehyung." He said.

Shannon nodded and was dragged by Taehyung to the bedroom.

Once the two were gone, Jungkook finished the hot chocolate and handed one to his father.

"I won't allow it." He said as he accpted the cup.

"Accept what?" Jungkook asked.

"My son and daughter will not fall in love with each other. I forbid that from ever happening. Understand, Henry?" He finished.

Jungkook cleared his throat and took a sip from his cup.

He didn't want to anger his new father but he also didn't want to stop liking Shannon.

Jungkook likes the way he feels when he's with her.

Alone.

Jungkook nodded.

"Yes, sir. Understood." Jungkook said.

"Good. Your mother and I just wanted you to know that we've arranged Shannon to be wed to Kim Taehyung. The boy just here a moment ago-"

"Yeah. I know who he is." Jungkook said. His dad smiled and set the hot chocolate down on the counter.

"He's a great kid. Now go to your room and get some rest before your mother gets home. She'll throw a fit if she sees you're still awake at this time." He said, before disappearing from Jungkook's sight.

Jungkook sighed heavily and washed both the cups as Taehyung walked in.

"Hey, Henry." He greeted.

"Hey, Taehyung." Jungkook replied with a bright smile. Taehyung opened the fridge and took two juice boxes out. 

"You're really handsome, Jungkook. You should find yourself a girlfriend." Taehyung said as he opened the boxes.

Jungkook chuckled.

The word girlfriend sounded ridiculous at the moment.

"Funny thing." Jungkook started. "I just lost mine."

"Lost yours?" Taehyung said, mouth hanging. "Why? Where'd she go?" He asked.

"She's somewhere I can never reach." Jungkook said. It took Taehyung a while to think Jungkook's "girlfriend" had passed away.

"Man. I'm sorry for asking that." Taehyung apologized, patting Jungkook on the back.

"It's alright. You didn't know." Jungkook said, a little crestfallen.

"Sorry again. And goodnight. I have to go back to Shannie now." Taehyung said, walking out the kitchen.

Jungkook sighed and dried his hands with the towel in the kitchen before going to his bedroom.

Jungkook walked slowly by Shannon's room and could hear Taehyung's loud, playful voice. 

He envies him so much.

Jungkook went into his large bedroom, which made him feel like his existence was even smaller.

Why couldn't he have just died when he was a child?