Chap 3: The Pink Bookmark

The Fault

Jungkook sat in his seat in the classroom him and Shannon shared, holding the pink bookmark Shannon had dropped the other day.

A lot of students were absent that day because of the dance. It was the first time the school had had a dance on a school night.

"Jungkook!" Jimin called as he entered through the door wearing bunny ears. 

Jungkook looked up at him with a smile.

"Hey, Jimin Bunny." Jungkook greeted. Jimin blew bubbles with his cheeks and smacked Jungkook's shoulder lightly.

"Don't make fun of me. I lost a bet last night to that clown Hoseok. So angry." Jimin grumbled. Jungkook chuckled.

"Looks like he's not here today. What was the bet?" Jungkook asked, but was ignored by Jimin.

"How'd it go with Shannon last night?" Jimin asked, remembering what his real mission had been. Jungkook sighed and rested his head in his palm.

"I don't know. She was crying so much. It made me kind of upset-"

"Good! You two are connecting! Perfect-YAH!" 

Hoseok jumped on Jimin from behind and gave him a knuckle.

"Hey, Loser! How was your night with-"

"Shut up!" Jimin demanded, covering Hoseok's mouth with one hand. Hoseok shook out of it and decided to talk to Jungkook instead.

"Did you go to the dance?" Hoseok asked. Jungkook nodded. "Did you score?" Hoseok asked. Jungkook shook his head.

"Yes, you did. Don't be so humble." Jimin interrupted.

"At least someone did." Hoseok said teasingly, immediately getting chased around the room by Jimin.

Jungkook laughed at the sight until the two passed the doorway. 

Shannon walked in through the doorway with bags under her eyes, making Jungkook's mood die down a little.

She made her way to her seat without once looking at Jungkook then she pulled her book out and started reading.

"Hey, Shannon." Jungkook greeted with a warm smile. Shannon didn't flinch at a syllabol Jungkook let out until the teacher spoke.

"To your seats, children!" The teacher demanded. 

Their homeroom teacher was more focused on controlling the kids than the math teacher after lunch.

As the teacher turned, Jungkook tossed the pink bookmark onto Shannon's desk.

Shannon peered down at it then hid her face behind her hair before grabbing the bookmark. She squeezed it then shoved it in her backpack's side pocket with force, making Jungkook bite his lip.

Is something wrong with it?

 

The rest of the day was Jungkook peering over at Shannon with apologetic eyes and it was starting to piss Jimin off.

"Go talk to her." Jimin said into Jungkook's ear as they stood outside the door and watched Shannon walk down the hall. Jungkook blew a breath.

"I-I don't know, Jimin-"

"Go and make things better. You don't like it when people don't like you, right? Shannon obviously doesn't like you, now go!" Jimin said, pushing Jungkook's shoulder to the direction Shannon went. 

Jungkook looked back at Jimin with puppy eyes but was rejected as Hoseok jumped on Jimin from behind again.

"Go and fix her! She has too many faults!" Jimin managed to shout after Jungkook as Hoseok weighed him down.

Jungkook nodded and jogged after Shannon, but he couldn't find her so he drove to the place he had last night.

Jungkook got out of the car and searched up and down the streets until he was certain Shannon was already home. He started back to his car when he spotted a sillhouette approach. He squinted then smiled brightly once he noticed it was Shannon.

"Shannon!" Jungkook called, waving his hand. "Over here!" Jungkook could see the whites in Shannon's eyes as she looked up. Then her eyes grew angry and she stomped up to him.

"Where did you get it!?" Shannon bursted. Jungkook flinched.

"Get what?" Jungkook asked. 

"The pink bookmark." Shannon said. 

"Ohh." Jungkook let out. "It got caught on my uniform the other day when I hugged you. I meant to return it earlier but-"

Shannon slapped Jungkook then bursted out crying.

"Why didn't you just throw it away!?" She screamed as she squated down in tears. Jungkook squatted as well and sighed as he patted her back.

"Sorry. I didn't know." Jungkook apologized. Shannon slapped Jungkook's hand away but Jungkook simply moved it to a different place.

Jungkook felt bad for Shannon and wanted to comfort her.

"What can I do for you in exchange, Shannon?" Jungkook asked. Shannon shook her head as she started to rise again.

"Just...Don't do anything." She said, before taking a step and almost falling to the cement, Jungkook catching her.

"Here. I'll take you home." Jungkook offered. Shannon stayed silent as Jungkook held her steady. "Then I'm out of your life." Shannon stood silently with her head down. "Forever." Jungkook pushed.

A moment passed before Shannon nodded slightly and Jungkook helped her into the passenger seat of his car.

"Just tell me when to turn and I'll get you there." Jungkook suggested as he started the engine. Shannon pointed Jungkook the way to her gigantic house, leaving Jungkook wide-eyed.

"This is your house? It looks more like a hotel." Jungkook commented. Shannon nodded before fidgeting with the car door. Jungkook rushed out his door and ran over to help Shannon out.

"Can you make it from here?" Jungkook asked, worried. Shannon nodded but proved herself wrong when she fell on the grass.

"Here. Wrap your arms around my neck." Jungkook directed, before picking Shannon up bridal style and surprising her. Shannon quickly did as she was told so she wouldn't fall.

Shannon's heart rate sped as she held on tightly.

Jungkook's heart rate sped as he held on tightly.

They both hoped the other wouldn't hear the racing of their hearts.

Jungkook went up to the door and turned the knob, a little surprised that it wasn't locked. He carried Shannon in and lie her on one of the golden sofas in the corner of the lobby. 

Shannon rolled up into a ball.

"You can go now." She said in a small voice. Jungkook nodded with a soft smile.

"Okay. Hope you'll be fine. See you tomorrow~!" Jungkook said as he started out the door, but was called to a halt.

"Jungkook!" 

Jungkook looked back with a smile, but the smile faded as Jungkook noticed how fallen Shannon looked. Her make-up was smeared and her face drained of color.

"Yes?" He said, lost of words. Shannon nodded with a deep breath.

"Th-Thank you." She thanked, recieving a charming flash. Jungkook nodded with his wide smile and sparkly crescent moon eyes.

"You're welcome, Shannon." Jungkook said softly as he shut the door.

As soon as Jungkook disappeared, Shannon blushed and hugged herself.

As soon as Jungkook shut the door, he blushed and put his hands in his pockets.

 

Jungkook happily hugged Yoongi before Yoongi could hug him first.

"What's up with you today? My baby usually isn't this happy." Yoongi asked. Jungkook smiled widely before scanning the room.

"Hey. Where's dad?" Jungkook asked. Yoongi scratched the back of his head.

"Oh. Foster home. He'll be back by dawn, I'm sure." Yoongi said, before fixing Jungkook's bangs. "Now go do your homework so you won't have any over the weekend." 

Jungkook nodded and hugged Yoongi again before skipping to his bedroom.

"Hurry! Dinner's almost ready!" Yoongi called out as enthusiastically as he could. 

Once Jungkook disappeared from his sight, he sighed heavily.

"I'll always love you, Baby." Yoongi nearly whispered into the direction of the bedroom they all shared. Yoongi stood there until he smelled smoke and had to run into the kitchen.

 

"Shannon! Clean your bedroom! We have company on Sunday!" Shannon's mother called from downstairs.

Shannon sighed deeply before shoving her head back into her pillow.

She had been daydreaming about Jungkook all night long and was beyond frustrated with herself.

"You'd better clean it! The Kims are coming over!" She informed.

Shannon shot up in shock.

Kim!?

"Mom! Is it the Kims with the blue mansion or the silver mansion?!" Shannon asked. 

"Of course they're the ones with the blue mansion! The other family I don't trust enough!" Shannon's mother shouted.

Shannon started to panic as she sat up and squished her face.

"No. No-no-no-no-no-no-no!" Shannon mumbled. She hopped off her bed and went straight to her desk drawer.

The last time the Kims visited was when Shannon was nine years old.

The Kims' youngest son's name is Taehyung. 

Taehyung used to steal her hot chocolate and they were very close because they had basically grown up together.

Shannon hid the box of hot chocolate in her clothing drawer and to be honest, Shannon was addicted to hot chocolate.

Shannon then cleaned the whole room and went to bed. She could barely sleep at the thought of seeing Kim Taehyung again after seven years.