Chap 9: Faulted

The Fault

Jungkook sat in the living room with Shannon.

They were doing their homework when the door slammed opened.

"Henry-" Yein's eyes grew wide.

Shannon's did as well.

"Shannon? Isn't this awkward." Yein said before turning her attention to Jungkook. "Well. My parents want me to marry that someone else." Shannon flinched. "So we won't be seeing each other anymore~" Yein sing-songed before slamming the door.

Jungkook looked to Shannon.

"You know her?" Jungkook asked. Shannon nodded.

"Way too well." Shannon said, for Yein was the so-called-best friend that stole her ex.

"Oh? How?" Jungkook asked. Shannon shook her head. 

"It's just something stupid girls do." Shannon said, waving it off. She was kind-of over him by now.

"Oh." Jungkook said, then he smiled brightly, catching Shannon off-guard. "Let's finish this, shall we?" Jungkook said. Shannon nodded.

The door swung open again.

"Hey Shannie! We're here for the spaghetti dinner!" Taehyung anounced.

Shannon smiled and so did Jungkook.

 

Shannon made her way into the kitchen to get a cup of water for Taehyung when she ran into Jungkook.

Jungkook smiled softly at her and the spagetti noodle sticking out .

Shannon lowered her eyes and went to grab a cup from the cabinet but her brother beat her to it.

She turned her head to him just as he leaned in and pressed their lips together.

Shannon didn't resist.

She let Jungkook squeeze his eyes shut and kiss harder.

This is a dream that could never publicly come true.

Jungkook tilted his head and slid his tongue across Shannon's bottom lip.

Shannon stayed still.

"Please." Jungkook whispered raspily.

Shannon parted her lips, letting Jungkook in.

Jungkook's tongue collided with hers, making a high pitched noise come from .

Jungkook pulled her closer-

"Shannie! Are you alright in there?! Do you need help?!" 

Shannon broke away quickly, pushing Jungkook's chest.

She straightened her hair and body then caught Jungkook's wide smile.

"Babe?!"

"Go." Jungkook said as he handed her the cup.

Shannon took it and cleared before walking out the door.

Jungkook's smile quickly turned into a flat line and he lost the light in his eyes.

 

"Silly. You forgot the water, Shannie." Taehyung said, smiling widely and pinching Shannon's cheeks. Everyone laughed and din't seem to notice Jungkook walk out the kitchen and out the door.

 

Jungkook went to his bedroom and sighed as he went to his bed.

He sat at the corner of his bed and put his hands in his palms.

He needed a fresh start. Without anything or anyone he knew. 

He reached beneath his pillow and pulled out the book he had been studying for weeks now.

It's almost been a month since he moved into this mansion now that he thought of it.

He stared at the bold words on the book's cover.

BEGINNER: LEARN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

Jungkook studied with the window open so he could get fresh air. He studied for a few hours then decided he should get some rest. He never knew what would come the next day.

Jungkook heaved a heavy sigh as he got up to close the blinds to his bedroom window. He saw a figure of a person outside.

Shannon.

Jungkook ran outside.

Is something bothering her?

Jungkook ran to where Shannon was.

"Jung-"

Jungkook hugged Shannon before she could speak.

"What's wrong? Why are you out here by yourself?"

 

"He's in a coma"

 

"Taehyung's asleep on my bed." Shannon said. "Why are you here?" She asked.

"I saw you from my bedroom window. Is everything alright?" Jungkook asked, worried. The month he spent with Shannon made him fall deeper in love and care more about Shannon.

"Yes. I'm fine. The real question is are you alright?" Shannon said. Jungkook let out a queasy breath.

"No." 

Jungkook took Shannon's lips by surprise. He kissed her passionately for the first time. He needed her so much but he could never get her.

They're faulted.

Jungkook pulled back to catch his breath then dived in for Shannon's swollen lips again.

He didn't care if they were siblings. He didn't care if he died tomorrow, as long as he knew he tried.

"I love you." Jungkook said, making Shannon become teary.

She knows just as well as Jungkook that they'd never be together.

They're faulted.

 

"Hoseok!!"

 

Jungkook let Shannon go and ran to his room when he ran into his father.

"Living room. Now." His father demanded.

 

"What do you think you're doing, useless child!" Jungkook's father said, slapping Jungkook across the face for the third time. Jungkook took it all and stood with his head down. "This is excactly what the Kims with the silver mansion are! Those two are siblings married to each other! It's disgustin-"

"I have a request." Jungkook said steadily, only to get smacked again.

"This is no time for req-"

"It'll fix everything." Jungkook said as he looked up intensly into his father's eyes, blood dripping from the corner of his mouth.

 

"Jungkook!!"

 

 

_ _.

_ _ _

_ _ _

_..

_...

_._ _

.

 

 

 

Shannon awoke late.

"Where's that Jungkook to wake me up?" Shannon asked herself as she attempted to sit up, but she couldn't. She looked to her side and saw Taehyung asleep beside her, wrapping her with his long limbs.

Shannon managed to wriggle out of Taehyung's grasp and headed to Jungkook's room.

She opened the door to an entirely empty room.

Where did Jungkook go?

Shannon ran downstairs to see her father negotiating with Jimin at the front door.

"Dad! Where's Jungkook?!" Shannon asked as she rushed to them.

"That's what I was trying to ask Mr. Big Boss here." Jimin said. Jimin's eyes were red and puffy as if he had been crying all night.

Shannon's dad shut the door on Jimin before answering Shannon.

"He requested that he move to the states to do medical studies. He wants to become a doctor and you know I'd support Henry in everything he does." Shannon's dad replied. "Now go get ready for school."

Shannon broke down and cried. Her father hugged her.

"Go up and wake Taehyung up for school as well." He said.

 

Shannon ended up going to the last half of school because she was crying so hard.

Shannon sat in her seat. It was eerily quiet in the classroom today. 

Perhaps it's because the class clown is gone?

Jimin made his way over to Shannon.

"Where's Jungkook?" Jimin asked Shannon.

"Overseas." Shannon mustered. Jimin's eyes grew wide.

"For how long?" He asked.

"I don't know. Days? Months? Years? Maybe never?" Shannon said, almost breaking down again. Taehyung hugged her from behind.

Jimin fell back onto the seat Jungkook used to sit in with his wide, bright smile. 

The smile everyone fell in love with.

"JUNGKOOK!!!"

 

 

 

 

*3 YEARS LATER*

 

 

 

 

They took him off life support.

 

 

 

 

*7 YEARS LATER*

 

 

 

 

"Please sign here, Dr. Jeon." Taehyung said, handing a clipboard and contract to Jungkook.

Jungkook looked over at Shannon, who immediately spoke up. 

"Taehyung, Honey. Let's get a different doctor. I don't really like this one." She whispered the last part to Taehyung, whose eyes went wide. 

"Babe, he's the best in the city. And besides, they have almost the same name anyway. Kim Henry Jungkook and Lee Henry Jungkook, right? It's so cool." Taehyung turned back to Jungkook. "I'm sorry. Can you-"

"Listen to your wife, she always knows best and unless both of you agree on it, I won't sign anything." Jungkook suggested, stepping back. Taehyung sighed and turned back to Shannon. 

"Babe~" He whined. Shannon groaned. 

"Okay. Go sit down over there. I'll talk to Dr. Jeon here and work something out." Taehyung kissed her on the lips. 

"I love you." Then he walked off.

Shannon immediately turned to Jungkook and looked him sternly in the eye. 

"After leaving without a word, I can't forgive you. So don't even think about signing the paper-"

"I'm not. I'm thinking of why you'd name your son after me." Jungkook interrupted, speaking softly and quietly.

Shannon bit her bottom lip and narrowed her brows.

"Let him live the life you couldn't, Jungkook." Jungkook returned the same look and removed the contract from the clipboard.

He ripped it slowly. 

"You know, Shannon."

Shannon flinched.

Jungkook used the same soft tone he did years ago.

"I made a life for myself after moving to the states and I actually felt like I was something. Not someone who was kidnapped as a child. Not someone who smiled through his shattered life to make sure one girl was happy. Not someone who...who loved his own sister..." Jungkook choked on his own words as he tossed the pieces of paper onto the floor in front of his sister.

Shannon stared at the ground and bit her lip. Jungkook looked at Shannon's big stomach and smirked.

He had imagined that this was going to be his child a long time ago. 

"When's the baby coming?" Jungkook asked, making Shannon jump. She sniffled before answering. 

"Anytime now." She almost whispered. Jungkook smiled and nodded as he backed up. 

"Tell mom and dad I'm thankful for the financial help and that life was bearable."

"What-"

"I'm going to do what you told me to do. After all..." Jungkook leaned forward and quickly stole a kiss from Shannon.

"I am the fault."

Jungkook brushed Shannon's hair back behind her ear like the time he first kissed her, before turning and leaving.

Shannon wouldn't let herself cry because she knew it was all for naught as she called her husband over.

Suddenly, her water broke. 

 

Jungkook felt the cool, relaxing breeze brush past his flawless skin.

He sat on the highest bridge in Seoul with only a pair of shorts on.

It was ten at night and he had just received a call from his mom that Shannon was in labor.

Jungkook sighed deeply as he looked out to everything he was giving up so, 

"Henry can live the life I couldn't." Jungkook whispered.

Jungkook took one last, slow, deep breath before he got to his feet.

He rested his eyes and tipped over the edge, closing in on himself in the form of a child in its embryo.

 

Jeon Henry Jungkook has taken his last breath of life. 
 

Kim Henry Jungkook has taken his first breath of life.