Chap 2: The Dance

The Fault

Jungkook was walking home when he felt a tug from the back. He made a nintey degree turn but didn't see anything or anyone until he heard a voice.

"Jungkook!"

Jungkook lowered his gaze to see Shannon.

"Are you making fun of me?" Shannon asked rhetorically. Jungkook bowed in apology.

"I'm sorry." He apologized. Shannon waved it off.

"Nevermind. I just wanted to say that I can't go with you tonight." Shannon said. Jungkook's eyes widene in question.

"But...You said you would-"

"I never said anything. I knew you wouldn't leave me alone so I just said that to get you out of my hair." Shannon clearified.

Jungkook scratched the back of his head.

"But Jimin..." He mumbled, thinking of all the horrible things his not so bright friend had thought of.

They weren't always reasonable ideas and Jungkook would always regret it.

"I don't want any complaints-"

"But if you wanted me to stop bothering you, why didn't you just not show up?" Jungkook asked, making Shannon freeze for a moment.

"I-I'm not a coward and I don't run from anything. So since I'm not going, you shouldn't go either." Shannon managed before she turned and walked away, leaving Jungkook crestfallen.

"What about a lion?" Jungkook asked the thin air between him and Shannon.

 

"Jungkook!!" Jimin called with all his might. Then he put his fists on his waist. "Where could he have not gone? That little heart breaker. Making Shannon come to the dance all by herself. Aish!" Jimin rambled.

He stood outside the gym where the dance was held and waited for neither of the two he had set up to show.

"Shannon! Are you even coming?! Was I a fool to have thought you, such a loner, would show?! I don't want to be here without you! And Jungkook! What a world-what a world-"

"What are you doing Jimin?" A voice asked. 

Jimin looked up to see half his classmates and their dates standing over him. He swatted them away.

"Get away unless your name is Jungkook or Shannon." He said, all leaving except for one. Jimin looked up a little too hopeful but then groaned loudly.

"Not you, Shin Jongkook! Can't you hear?! Ahhh-"

"Jimin!"

Jimin looked up again to see Jongkook leave and Jungkook appear.

Jungkook was wearing jeans and a hood.

Jimin jumped on him.

"Where were you?! I thought you bailed and left me to die in this rotting prison!" Jimin overdramatically stated.

Jungkook chuckled and peeled Jimin off of him.

"Shall we go in then?" Jungkook suggested.

"Yep-Wait. Where's Shannon?" Jimin asked.

Jungkook started walking in through the doors.

"She said she'll be a little late and for us to go in before her." Jungkook lied. Jimin nodded and followed after Jungkook.

"Okay."

 

They entered and it was dark except the lights that flashed against the walls and bodies.

"Let's go find somewhere to sit and wait." Jungkook suggested, but was pulled back by Jimin and down.

"Are you sure Shannon didn't tell you she was already in here? Maybe you got a typo?" Jimin asked into Jungkook's ear so he could hear over the booming music.

Jungkook's eyes widened once Jimin turned his head to see something shocking.

Shannon sat in the corner of the gym with a drink in her hand.

Jungkook felt lied to or in other words, dumb.

Jimin nudged Jungkook toward Shannon with shoulder.

"Go. It's your chance. By the looks of it, she just got dumped." Jimin said, before nudging Jungkook again.

"But..." Jungkook turned to Jimin but saw that he had run off, leaving Jungkook to solo this.

He's not good with girls.

Jungkook swallowed hard through a lump in his throat, then he started toward Shannon.

It seemed Shannon didn't notice him approach because she jumped when Jungkook spoke.

"Are you okay?" Jungkook asked, unable to find anything else to say.

Instead of answering, Shannon simply sighed and took another sip of her soda.

Jungkook cleared his throat and took a seat beside her. He lowered his head to meet her air level and spoke.

"I thought you weren't coming." Jungkook said, making Shannon's eyes spark. She covered her face and dropped her soda on the floor, sniffling.

Jungkook didn't know what to do so he leaned forward and hugged Shannon, shoulders. Whenever Jungkook felt down, people would give him hugs and he'd feel a bit better afterward.

Shannon curled up under Jungkook's torso and started crying a little harder.

"Shh. It's going to be alright." Jungkook shushed.

"Is she okay?" Sooyoung asked, walking up to them. She looked gorgeous with her long curled hair and long sparkly purple dress. 

Jungkook nodded with a appreciating smile.

"You look great, Sooyoung." He complimented, making Sooyoung blush.

"Wow! Sooyoung! You are a man-killer! Come here and dance with me, lovely." Jimin suggested, coming up behind her and placing his hands on her biceps.

Sooyoung blushed again and nodded.

"See you, Jungkook." She said, before walking off in Jimin's hold. Jimin gave Jungkook a GTFO look then smiled down at Sooyoung.

Jungkook rubbed Shannon's back.

"We should get you out of here. This isn't a good place to be like this." Jungkook suggested. Shannon nodded and wiped her tears with the back of her hand, smearing her mascara.

Jungkook stopped her and carefully wiped her tears off with his thumbs.

"Don't cry so much. You're stronger than this." Jungkook said, before taking Shannon by the hand and interlocking them. "Don't let go. Just close your eyes and walk. Your eyes are swollen." Jungkook said.

Shannon nodded and held onto Jungkook's shoulder with her other hand as she pressed her face against Jungkook's shoulder blade.

 

Once they exit the doors and met the frosty night, Jungkook paused. 

"Should you call your parents to come pick you up?" Jungkook suggested. Shannon shook her head.

"Th-They're busy." She managed in a small voice. Jungkook bit his lip in thought.

"Hmm-oh! I could give you a ride home. Well, if you trust me to." Jungkook said, unsure if Shannon liked him. She even said it herself the day before.

"Yeah." Shannon said, finally looking up and at Jungkook.

Jungkook then noticed she was dressed in a sweet, simple, white dress and really had nothing too fancy.

He liked that.

"Okay. Where do you live?" Jungkook asked. 

"Pyeongchang." Shannon answered, making Jungkook jump a little.

Then why doesn't She dress differently?

"Don't ask." Shannon said. Jungkook obeyed and walked them to the car. He assisted Shannon in to the passenger's seat then got in the driver side and started the engine.

"You're going to tell me sometime, right?" Jungkook asked as he pulled out of the driveway.

Shannon ignored the question and shut her eyes.

 

Shannon awoken from a light nap, she must have dozed off earlier. She looked to the driver's seat and saw Jungkook was asleep as well and they were parked. 

Shannon looked out the window and saw a sign signaling toward a tofu shop. She looked back at Jungkook and admired his calm sleeping face before opening the door and leaving.

Shannon knew where to go from the shop so she headed home, only to be reminded of her pink bookmark.

She started crying again.

 

Jungkook opened his eyes to see the stars and the moon. He looked to the passenger seat and saw that Shannon had probably already gone home. So he started the car and drove home to Yoongi.

 

"Where's Dad, Hyung?" Jungkook asked once Yoongi was done hugging him.

"Oh. He's gone to the adoption center again. But don't worry. It'll be short. Now go to bed." Yoongi said. Jungkook nodded and started to his bedroom when Yoongi shouted after him.

"I hope the dance went fine?" 

Jungkook turned back with a wide smile and nodded.

"Yes, Hyung. It went well." Jungkook said softly. Yoongi smiled then Jungkook disappeared through his door.

Yoongi's smile fadded and his eyes filled with worry.

 

Shannon read the note left for her on the dining table. Her parents had gone to the adoption center again.

Maybe they were getting close.

Shannon decided to go take a shower and let everything out before going to bed.

She did not want to greet tomorrow.