I Almost Do (Kim Jinwoo's POV)

Red Velvet One-Shot (Inspired from Taylor Swift Songs)

 

Jinwoo’s POV

I wake up with the alarm at 5 in the morning and start my day. I get out of bed and take a shower and go for a run. Then I take a bath and eat breakfast while watching the latest news in the television. And I go to work. The same monotonous schedule every day for the past 6 months and I feel like it’s killing me. I know the way that I can get this feeling away but I’m afraid to try.

 

When I reached the office my secretary greeted me immediately.

 

“Good morning, Sir.”

 

“What’s my schedule for today?”

 

“You have a 9 o’clock meeting with the board, a lunch meeting with Mr. Jeon Jungkook of the Jeon Textiles , at 1:30 there’s a ribbon cutting of the newly-opened branch of hotel at ______ and you have a dinner meeting with Ms. Wendy Son at 6:30.”

 

I closed my eyes and massaged my temple. This is gonna be another hell of a day. It’s been three months since I became the CEO of my dad’s company and every day is like going to war. No wonder my dad seemed happier than ever since he retired.

 

“Coffee, sir?”

 

“Yes-“

 

“Didn’t I tell you that coffee is dangerous to your health? It’s just like smoking. Do you want to die early?”

 

“No!”

 

“Sir?”

 

“I mean just tea.”

 

“Ok, sir.”

 

My secretary went out with a confused expression. It must be because I kinda yelled at her which I rarely do. Why do I even think of her at this time? It’s been six months, she surely has recovered and moved on. She must have found someone new, someone who can give her all the time and attention that she need. But just thinking of that makes me mad. Thinking that she’s going out with another man makes me want to throw all the papers in my desk. She can’t go out with another man, I can’t allow that.

 

But then a realization stuck my head. What right do I have to prevent her from finding a man better than me? A man who can be attentive to her and a man that can love her with all his heart. A man who can do the things that I can’t do because of my damn job.

 

I started looking at the pile of papers on my desk one by one. Suddenly my phone rang and without looking at who’s calling I answered it immediately.

 

“Hello, Joohyun-ah?”

 

“You must be expecting somebody else call Mr. Kim but sorry to disappoint you. It’s Wendy Son. I called personally to tell you that I can’t go to the dinner meeting that’s scheduled today. There’s been an emergency and I’m afraid that this is a very important matter that I have to attend to. If it’s okay with you I would like to move the meeting next week.”

 

“Ah. I’m sorry. It’s okay but I really can’t decide on that. You can call my secretary to discuss with my schedule. I honestly don’t know next week’s schedule.”

 

“Okay, I’ll just call her to reschedule the meeting and I’ll have her inform you. Thank you for being considerate. Joohyun’s one lucky girl. Goodbye.”

 

She didn’t waited for my reply and ended the call.

 

Joohyun’s one lucky girl.

 

Is she?

 

My thoughts were interrupted by the buzzer.

 

“The board meeting will start in 15 minute sir.”

 

I took a glance at the papers on the table and got up. I went into the small room inside my office and fixed my appearance. Facing the mirror is one of the hardest thing to do for the past six months. Everytime that I look at the mirror I see nothing of myself but of a stranger that is dead. A stranger that looks like me but he’s not me. A stranger that I really hate the most. His eyes are dead and frozen and you can’t read any emotion on him.

 

But six months ago he wasn’t like this. His eyes are full of emotion and full of life. He looked forward to every new day but now he doesn’t even know how his days starts and how it ends.

 

Everyone around me noticed the change that happened to me but I tried to blame it on work. No one knows Joohyun not even my parents. I haven’t introduced her to them and it’s my fault. Everything is my fault and I don’t know where to start to correct them.


I sank down at my chair and closed my eyes. It’s still 3 in the afternoon but with all the things that I’ve been doing this day it felt like I haven’t had a proper rest for a century. I opened my computer and there she is smiling happily. She has the prettiest eyes that I have ever seen and those eyes seem to smile together with her lips. Those eyes that I want to see everytime I wake up and the last view that I like to see everytime I close my eyes. Those eyes that could literally take my breath away. Those innocent eyes that continues to torture and haunt me for the past six months.

 

I picked up my phone and started to dial her number but my fingers stopped typing at the last number. I’ve already done this a lot of times. During the first months I tried calling her a lot of times but she wouldn’t answer. She won’t end my call but she just won’t answer. And I understand why she did that. I was the one who left her without even saying the proper goodbye. I was the one who left her hanging without leaving her an explanation. I was the one who was to blame about everything.

 

Everything that is happening right now it’s all on me.

 

I would understand if she’s mad at me that she can’t even bother to answer my calls. Then I thought that I would give her some space. So I decided to erase her number which has no use actually because I already memorized them. But still seeing her name and number on my list of contacts would tempt me on calling her.

 

It’s been four months since I last called her. Maybe it’s enough time. Maybe she has already forgiven me. But what if she has already moved on and found someone new? What if I’m too late?

 

The door suddenly opened and my mother came in. I stood up and hugged her and lead her to the little visitor’s room inside my office.

 

“To whom do I owe this surprise visit?”

 

My mom didn’t respond but just sat on the char opposite mine.

 

“I don’t need coffee or anything. I’ve been outside your office for more than 20 minutes. Your secretary buzzed you several times and I knocked on your door multiple times but there was no answer.”

 

“I was busy. You know that you can just enter anytime you want Mom.”

 

“Okay, I know that. So now talk.”

 

“Talk about what?”

 

“Do you think that I’m accepting your alibi about being busy that you didn’t even heard the buzzer and the knock on you door?”

 

“Mom-“

 

“You can fool other people and even your father but not me Kim Jinwoo. I’m your mother. I had you in my womb for nine months so don’t for a minute think that you can completely pretend that you’re alright even if you’re not.”

 

I don’t know what happened by tears slowly formed in my eyes. I don’t cry easily and there are only three people in the world that witnessed me crying, my parents and Joohyun. For me crying meant letting your guard down.

 

My mother stood up and embraced me. Tears continued streaming down my face and I don’t care. My mom knows everything about me and there’s no need in building a wall of pretention because I know that she can see through it just like how Joohyun can read me. Thinking about her made me cry even more.

 

“Shhh… Calm now.”

 

I don’t know why but my mom’s voice always sends me comfort and calmness. I calmed down but I still can’t stop crying. My tears seemed to flow endlessly.

 

“You can tell me slowly about it.”

 

“Her name is Bae Joohyun. She’s a music teacher. I met her a year ago. I love her so much that being away from her feels like dying.”

 

“So you’re serious about her?”

 

I’ve never introduced a girl to my parents ever. Joohyun supposedly is the first one.

 

“Of course but I ended everything.”

 

“But you want her back.”

 

“I don’t know how. I hurt her and she’s mad at me.”

 

“When was the last time that you talked to her?”

 

“Six months ago. That- that was the day that I broke up with her.”

 

“Do you really love her?”

 

“Of course, very much.”

 

“Then why did you break up with her?”

 

“I know… I know that when I become the CEO I won’t have time for her. I have a lot of work to do and I know that I can’t give her the full attention that she wanted. And I never expected the pain would be like this. It feels like I want to die.”

 

“You make me speechless Kim Jinwoo. You really are your father’s son. He did the same thing to me. The only difference is that I clung on to him until he realized that he’s gonna have a hard time without me and that he badly needed me in my life.”

 

“Mom…”

 

“But Joohyun not doing the same thing that I did doesn’t mean that she doesn’t love you. She just have a different mind-set and I think that she’s trying to understand you but she just wants you to make the first move.”

 

“But I tried talking to her but she keeps on avoiding me and she won’t answer my calls. She’s seriously mad at me.”

 

“When was the last time that you tried talking to her?”

 

“Four months ago.”

 

“But that didn’t changed your feelings. I really wanted to meet this girl. Your father and I was almost hopeless that you won’t get married. It seemed like you had so much fun playing with girls and your relationship.”

 

“Mom!”

 

“I won’t ask for any other explanation and don’t talk further. I want to meet her and I won’t talk to you not until you bring her at home and introduce to us. Goodbye.”

 

And just that she walked away leaving me speechless. My mom can really be one of the most impossible person in the whole world sometimes.


My dinner meeting with Wendy Son was cancelled that means that I can go home early but for some reason I’m not taking the route to my house. I’m taking the road to the place where I wanted to go everytime I finish work and the place where I don’t want to leave. The place where I should start on correcting all the mistakes that I have done in the past.

 

Looking up at the building sent unexplainable feeling to me. My heart is beating thrice it’s normal speed. For the first time in six months I felt like I’m alive, I felt like I’m still a human being capable of emotions and for the first time in six months I felt excitement. The feeling that only she can make me feel.

 

At this time I’m sure that she’s at home trying to cook dinner but she would end up ordering food from the nearest restaurant. Then she would watch television but eventually get bored and will listen to the classic piano music as way of relaxing herself from the busy day. And she would prepare herself to sleep.

 

Hours passed but still I can’t bring myself to get out of my car. I’m trying to think of the thing that I will say to her. I want to say the thing that I want to say for the past months but my mind doesn’t seem to cooperate because I’m thinking of nothing right now. Nothing comes to my mind.

 

I looked at my watch and realized that I’ve been in the car for more or less four hours. And for that four hours I still haven’t decided whether I will talk to her or not. And I talk to her what should I say to her.

 

But it’s now or never. If I won’t talk to her now I don’t think I’ll have the courage next time.

 

Getting on to the 4th floor where her flat is located feels like forever. This is probably the longest time that I had ever ridden on an elevator. It feels longer than getting on my office which is at the top of a 50-storey building.

 

The door finally opened and I can see her door from across. I slowly went out of the elevator and approached the door. It’s already 10 o’clock and I’m not sure if she’s still awake at this time. She usually sleeps early.

 

I rang her doorbell and after pressing twice the door opened. And there she is standing with eyes wide open. It’s been six months but now that she’s in front of me it feels like I’ve only seen her yesterday. The way she looked hasn’t changed maybe that’s why I’m really into her.

 

“Jinwoo.”

 

Then she hugged me tightly. Since I’ve arrived here I haven’t said a word. And now she’s hugging me. Not the reaction I expected from her but I can’t deny that I’m very happy right now. I hugged her back and I felt her body rocking gently. She’s crying.

 

And that’s the thing that I hated to see on her. I don’t want to see her hurt but it’s just ironic that it’s the thing that I keep on doing to her. She’s crying right now because of me and I don’t know how to make her stop.

 

Hearing her cry is like torture to me.

 

“I love you so much Bae Joohyun and I will do everything that it takes to get you back. If ever you’re in a relationship with someone right now I don’t care. I will get you back and I won’t let you go this time.”

 

She let go of me and chuckled ever though tears are streaming in her cheeks. Then she slightly slapped my shoulder.

 

“Do you really think that 6 months is enough for me to find another man better than you?”

 

I sighed in relief. Then I grabbed her hand and guided her into the elevator.

 

“Yah! What are you doing?”

 

The elevator opened and I dragged her inside.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“Home.”

 

“What?”

 

“At home. I’m going to introduce you to my parents.”

 

“Kim Jinwoo, are you crazy? It’s already late and are you aware that I’m in my pajamas. Who introduces herself to her boyfriends’ parents in pajamas?”

 

“My mom won’t mind- wait! What did you say?”

 

“I asked you if you’re crazy.”

 

“No you said something after that.”

 

“I told you that I’m still in my pj’s in case you haven’t noticed.”

 

“No you said something after that.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

Then she avoided my gaze and faced the wall of the elevator.

 

“You said that who’s introduced herself to her boyfriends’ parents in pajamas. You said boyfriend.”

 

“Stop smiling you look creepy.”

 

“What? I’m just happy.”

 

The elevator door opened and we went out. Some of the people in the lobby are weirdly looking at both of us. I’m in my office suit and she’s in her pj’s. That’s not a sight that you see everyday everywhere.

 

I put my hands around her shoulder and brought her closer.

 

I will make sure that she stays by my side and I won’t let her go this time whatever happens.


(a/n: I actually didn’t plan on writing Jinwoo’s POV but because Abbie_Yoo_Hanbyul requested it, well here it is and I hope you’ll enjoy and like it. And it’s kinda longer than Irene; I don’t know it just happened.