You Belong with Me

Red Velvet One-Shot (Inspired from Taylor Swift Songs)

     


 

Sooyoung’s POV

“Are you sure that you’re not going to the prom?”

 

“More than one hundred per cent sure.”

 

“But Sooyoung-ah…”

 

“There’s nothing that you’ll say that’s gonna change my mind. I am not going to the prom. Besides finals is coming up and I’ve got to study.”

 

“Why do you have to be such a diligent student?”

 

“And why do you have to be such an annoying person Jeon Jungkook.”

 

He pouted and tried to be cute with his expression. But he’s really bad at doing aegyo.

 

“I just want you to be there. I don’t think that I’ll enjoy prom without you.”

 

“Stop with the sweet talk already. We’ve been over this a million times. And besides you’re going with Yein, why do you have to tag me along?”

 

“I know. But Yein will probably be talking to her friends and dance all night long.”

 

“Jungkook the prom is not a place to talk. It’s a place where you dance and enjoy the party. And I don’t like that kind of place. I find it suffocating.”

 

He sighed and went back on reading his book. Then he mumbled something but I can’t comprehend it. I didn’t bother to ask what is it because it will probably just lead us into another argument would result to his question why I don’t like to go to the prom.

 

But it’s not what you think. I don’t entirely hate prom. In fact when I was young I looked forward to it, but then I realized that it’s fun if you have someone to go with. And right now I don’t have someone to go with.

 

I don’t want to be a third wheel.

 

“C’mon don’t be mad at me. That’s a petty reason for you to ignore me.”

 

He didn’t even budged or glanced at my direction.

 

“Ok fine if you’re not talking to me just because I’m not coming with you to the prom, suit yourself.”

 

I stood up and walked away. If he’s mad at me then I’m also mad at him.

 

I just can’t understand his attitude all the time. He’s really hard to comprehend. He’s okay at first and then he’s angry the next minute with just a very petty reason.

 

Still I can’t myself fall for him. But I know that these feeling of mine can never be reciprocated.

 

It’s prom night and I’m at my room having a movie marathon. I tried to study but I just can’t concentrate. Jungkook hasn’t talked to me since last week. The last conversation we had is that he got angry that I’m not going to the prom with him. But he can’t really force me. As much as I like to go with him, I can’t.

 

I don’t want to witness him and Yein being sweet and all while I’ll be sitting on my own. I like Jungkook, okay. But it’s not like I’m planning to steal him away from Yein. I just like him period and I don’t have any plans of telling him about my feelings. We’ve been friends for a pretty long time and I don’t want to ruin that just because of this infatuation that I have on him.

 

But I’m only human. Of course I get jealous. That’s why as much as possible I tried to distance myself from situations that might make me jealous. First because I don’t have a right at all to feel like that and second my face shows what I feel and third Jungkook knows me so well that he might be able to read my expression and then he’ll find out about my feelings for him.

 

-knock-

 

“C’mon in.”

 

I’m sure it’s my mom. Besides Jungkook trying to convince me to attend the prom there’s also my mom who’s been trying really hard to persuade me. And I know that she’ll be trying to get my reason, for the nth time, for not attending prom.

 

“Mom I told you that I don’t want to go to the prom. Don’t worry I’m sure that Yeri would want to when it’s her time.”

 

Yeri is my younger sister. She’s one year younger than me and she’s more interested in those things than me.

 

My mom didn’t respond but I didn’t heard the door close.

 

“Mom kindly close the door.”

 

I heard the door clicked close and after a while I felt someone sit beside me on the sofa. I turned to look and I was surprised.

 

“What are you doing here Jungkook?”

 

He’s in his tuxedo and flowers on his hand. He glanced at me but he didn’t answer. Instead he come closer to me and put his arms around my shoulder and laid my head on his shoulder. I’m too confused to think about the right thing to say so I just let myself stay in that position until the movie finished.

 

The TV screen is all black now that the credits have been all shown but both of us are not moving on our position. I don’t know with him but for me even inhaling I find difficult to do. This is not the first time that we’ve been this close but this time there’s a different feeling that I can’t explain. The mood is different.

 

“Y-yah… what are you doing?”

 

He sighed and it took him a while to answer my question.

 

“I… don’t know. Why are you doing these to me Park Sooyoung?”

 

“What do you mean? I’m not doing anything to you.”

 

What does he mean with his question? I didn’t do anything to him. If he’s referring to the situation that we’re not talking for one week now, well it’s not the first time that these happened. The longest time that we haven’t talked is almost a month because he saw me hugging Kim Taehyung. That time I hoped and thought that he was maybe jealous but I was wrong. He was just looking after me as a big brother. And the day after that he introduced Yein and told me that she’s his girlfriend.

 

And now he’s asking me what I’m doing to him?

 

“I don’t know what’s happening to me. I broke up with Yein last week.”

 

His last sentence made me sit up straight.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because of you.”

 

“Me? What has it got to do with me?”

 

“Whenever I’m with her I can’t help but think about you. I always think about you. What are you doing and who were you with. Do you know how hard was it for me?”

 

“And who told you to think about me? I’m not six-year old anymore Jungkook, I can take care of myself already.”

 

“That’s the problem. Why do I even bother thinking about you when you might not think about me at all?”

 

“Y-yah! Why are you saying this things all of a sudden?”

 

“You like me, right? More than a friend.”

 

“You’re so conceited-“

 

“You don’t have to deny it Sooyoung. I’m your bestfriend. I’ve known you for a long time so I’ve known to read your feelings.”

 

“So what? This is just infatuation. This is because you’re the only boy that I’m close to and comfortable to be with. Don’t worry I don’t have any plans of making you as my boyfriend. Now that you know about this we can just forget about it. I won’t disturb your relationship with Yein so you don’t have to worry.”

 

He sighed and held my hand tightly.

 

“That’s the problem, Sooyoung. You feel something for me but why do you act like it’s just nothing to you while I’m having a hard time.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I like you. Since the first time that I saw you. Even before you knew me, I liked you.”

 

“Jungkook-“

 

“What?”

 

“Can you please stop snapping at me and let me finish what I’m gonna say.”

 

He bowed his head and played with the flowers that he’s been holding.

 

He’s finally giving me the chance to say what I want to say but then I realized that there’s really nothing inside my brain. I don’t know what to say. I don’t even understand what he’s saying.

 

I looked at him and he’s waiting for what I was gonna say.

 

“I- I don’t have anything to say. You can go to the prom and get back with Yein. You don’t have to worry anything about me because I’m perfectly fine.”

 

“Did you hear everything that I said Park Sooyoung?”

 

“Yes but I don’t understand any of it!”

 

“What part of what I said didn’t you understand?

 

“Everything.”

 

“I love you Park Sooyoung. That pretty sums up everything that I just said.”

 

I sighed and looked at him and smiled.

 

“I think I now get what you mean.”

 

He stared into my eye as his face is slowly getting closer to mine. I closed my eyes.

 

Then the door opened and Yeri with her hands on her waist said in an annoyed tone.

 

“So are you two going on the prom or not?”


[a/n: Thank you for my new subbers ELF813, ndhaa89, girlfromhisworld and tatianarezquita.]