The Last Time

Red Velvet One-Shot (Inspired from Taylor Swift Songs)

    


I’m sorry I can’t come with you to dinner tonight. We’re having an emergency meeting. I'll promise I'll make it up to you. Love you.

 

I sighed as I read the text from Mino. 

 

“Don’t tell me-”

 

“Yes he cancelled our date again. But anyway what else is new? I should’ve seen this coming.”

 

“Joohyun-ah...”

 

Seunghwan looked at me with pity. And at this moment that is the last thing that I want to receive from her. I don’t need pity. 

 

What I need is time from him.

 

“I’ll go ahead. My group mates are already looking for me in the library.”

 

I didn’t let Seunghwan respond. I stood up and walked away. I don’t want to talk to anyone right now. It’s just so ironic how I was so giddy this morning, excited and all.

 

This is not the first time that he cancelled our dinner dates. Actually almost every dinner date that we planned is often cancelled at the last minute. And it’s always because of his job.

 

And it’s always the reason why we fight. These past months our fights get bigger and bigger. I’m not blaming him but what I want from him is to stop making promises. 

 

Everytime he would always promise that this time come hell or high water our date would not get cancelled. Then fast forward to five hours before our date he would text me or call me that there’s some emergency and that he’ll make it up to me. It’s more than a year that we didn’t go out properly. We didn’t even celebrate our anniversary together. Last year he was at Hongkong for a long week conference. And this year there’s some emergency meeting that is inevitable. 

 

We’re both college students but he is already working at their company because his father had a heart attack over a year ago. And since then everything just changed. Even in school we barely see each other. 

 

And he doesn’t even remember why we are having dinner tonight. 

 

I don’t want to complain and I’m trying to understand him but I don’t think I can handle this anymore. 

 

He always forgets our monthsary and anniversary. Always. I tried to understand because he is busy and occupied with his work. But I’m just a person, I have my limits.


It’s already midnight but still I can’t sleep. 

 

I’m thinking about us. Our relationship. I don’t think we’re still taking the right path. I understand his work but I need his time. I need his attention. I need to feel that he’s still there for me. 

 

I need to feel his love.

 

I constantly deny this but I felt that we’re drifting away from each other. 

 

We used to talk to each other everyday but now he won’t even text me for a whole week. The last time that we had a major fight because he forgot my birthday we didn’t contact each other for a month. If it wasn’t for Seunghwan and Seulgi who tried to get us back together we might end up not talking to each other ever again.

 

I know that he has a very demanding job. And he’s pressured at work. I’m trying to be an understanding girlfriend but I have limits. 

 

I know that is selfish but I wished that he would make me a priority. That he would place me on the top of his list. 

 

Before he worked at his dad’s company his priority is the student council. He is the president so almost his whole  attention is on the council. But it was better because he’s still at school and we see each other.

 

Ever since we had relationship it feels like I was the only one making the effort to spend time with him. 

 

I was awaken from my thoughts when I felt my phone vibrated.

 

Look out the window. -Mino

 

I got out of bed and looked out the window. I saw him outside waiving his hand. I changed my dress and went out. He’s leaning on his car.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

He didn’t answer me but instead run into me and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back. I can’t remember when was the last time we hugged each other like this. We stayed for that position for I don’t know how long. 

 

Now that I felt his warm touch I don’t know if I can tell him the decision that I made. Feeling him so close to me brings back the memories and opens my eyes to the reality that I have feelings for him. To the reality that he is the man that I love and will always love. 

 

And the thought that he's far from me is just unbearable.

 

Then I felt him kiss my head.

 

“I missed you so much.”

 

“Me, too. It’s already late. What brought you here?”

 

“I came straight from the office and I’m tired.”

 

I looked at him and I can see the weariness in his eyes. Then I noticed that he is still wearing his office suit.

 

“Why didn’t you go straight to your house. You’re tired and yet you’re here. Song Mino you need rest.”

 

He hugged me again this time tighter than the previous hug.

 

“I missed you so much. Seeing you gives me energy. I really want to see you. Not seeing you for a week and I think I’m going crazy.”

 

“Yah! Stop with the cheesiness, it's not an effective excuse. You could have come tomorrow since it’s Saturday. You don’t have work, right?”

 

He’s still hugging me and I felt him sigh. And I don’t have a good feeling about his sigh.

 

“I’ll be going to China for two weeks. We’ll be presenting to the investors about the plans of the company.”

 

“When are you going?”

 

“Tomorrow evening.”

 

I closed my eyes and hugged him back tightly. Then I let go of him.

 

“Have you had dinner?”

 

“No. I-”

 

Before he could finish his sentence I interrupted him.

 

“Song Mino what did I tell you? Never skip breakfast, lunch and dinner. I understand that you are busy with your work in the office but you should make sure to take care of your health.”

 

He gave me a small smile.

 

“I got held up with the meeting. And we’re doing some finishing touches for our presentation. I miss your nagging Bae Joohyun.”

 

I glared at him.

 

“I’ll just get something inside. Wait for me.”

 

I went back inside the house and get the food that I cooked for him for our supposed dinner. I thought that it would be wasted but thanks god he came here. I went out again and I didn’t see him. It’s just his car parked in the side of the door. 

 

Where did he go?

 

I called him and his not answering. Then I catched a glimpse of something light inside his car. I went nearer and I see him sleeping.

 

I sighed looking at him. He must be really tired. But instead of going home he came to see me. 

 

I touched his shoulder to wake him up. Then he moved slowly and opened his eyes. He squinted his eyes and rubbed them.

 

“Here. Eat dinner and don’t dare to say no. You shouldn’t have come here. You’re very tired.”

 

He accepted the food I gave him and started eating.

 

“I told you I want to see you. Didn’t you miss me?”

 

“Of course I missed you.”

 

“You don’t look like happy to see me.”

 

I let out a heavy sigh and looked outside the car window.

 

“Finish eating first and we’ll talk.”

 

I’m glad that he didn’t argue and continued eating. Most of the times whenever he has questions he would always want the answer right away. 


When he finished eating he drove away and we end up in the park inside our village. For the both of us this is probably the most special place in our life and our relationship. This is the place where we first met, the place where I accepted his love, the place where we had our first date, the place where we celebrated our first anniversary and the place where we had our very first fight and the place where we reconciled. 

 

And I’m afraid that this might be the place where we end everything.

 

“There’s something that I have to say to you Mino.”

 

He didn’t respond to me but instead searched for my hand and held it tightly. When I looked at him he seemed to be preoccupied. He is looking at the park but I know that his thoughts are somewhere.

 

“Mino-yah...”

 

He didn’t respond to me again. He leaned his head back while still holding my hand. He closed his eyes. Then he brought my hand to his face and kissed it. 

 

Then I felt something wet. From the light outside I saw something sparkle in his face. Tears. He is crying.

 

I know that he knew what this is about. But I’ve decided. None of this is gonna work. I don’t want that we’d hurt each other more because we’ve been too selfish. I want to prevent terrible things to happen.

 

I crossed the distance and hugged him. It’s funny to think that mostly we’ve done is hug each other. We didn’t speak too much.

 

“I love you so much don’t you forget that.”

 

“Why are you doing this Joohyun-ah?”

 

“Because I love you, so much.”

 

“I can’t do this. I don’t want to.”

 

Tears stream down my eyes. I don’t want to cry. I don’t want to show him that I’m hurting. I can’t make him feel bad. But I just can’t help it. The thought of him far away from me tears my heart apart.

 

The thought that we’re gonna end our relationship hurts so much that I don't think I can take it. 

 

“We should Mino. This is the only way.”

 

“Don’t you love me anymore?”

 

“I love you with all of me. That’s why I’m doing this. I love you. I love you.”

 

I have to let go of him. He can’t give me the time that I need and I can’t promise if I can give him my full understanding. 

 

These past months our fights had been more frequent and more violent. Not in the sense that we hurt each other physically but we tend to say things that we really don’t mean. And it gets worse every time.

 

I don’t want to wait for the time when we will really hurt each other and we end up hating each other so much. It would be better this way. We will be parting ways where we’re still in good terms. I’m afraid that time will come that we will part ways with deep hatred for each other.

 

Beside we’re still young. And I believe in destiny. If we’re meant for each other then we’ll get together in the end. There are just things in life that we have to accept and things that we should let go.

 

“Just remember this Song Mino.”

 

I stared at him in the eye and he did the same.

 

“I love you. I love you. I love you.”

 

“I love you, too Bae Joohyun.”

 

Then I closed the gap between us and kissed him. For the last time before we part ways. 

 

We will feel the warmth of each other’s lips.. For the last time before we take different ways. We will let ourselves get lost in the moment. For the last time before we disappear from each other’s sight. We will let ourselves feel the love that we have for each other. For the last time before we let go of it.

 

We are both crying. None of us wants this but at this moment this is the best thing to do. 

 

And for the last time we let ourselves pour our emotions to each other. For the last time.

 


Author's Note:

I'm not really sure if I the song and the story connected. But I can’t bring to portray Irene as someone clingy, needy and immature. She has that responsible feeling to her so this is the result. 

 

And I really meant for this to have a sad ending. Well, not really sad but I like to call it bittersweet.

 

By the way this is dedicated to cleopatra123 for requesting me to insert Winner to my story. But I wasn't able to so I'll just write this one-shot and dedicate to her :) Thank you so much for the support ^^