Owlery

Unlikely Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jonginnie!” Luhan waves at him.

Jongin has been friends with Luhan ever since they were kids. Lu used to visit him at the orphanage and bring him candy from his family’s store. It was a tough two years when Luhan got his letter to Hogwarts and Jongin had to stay behind. When Jongin got his own letter, he’d worried Luhan would be too busy with his own school friends. But even though they were in different houses, it was like nothing had changed.

“Hey, Lu,” Jongin says running up to him. “What’s up?”

Luhan blows into his gloveless hands. A steady cold breeze is coming from the open windows. “I have a problem.”

Jongin smiles. Lu’s curiosity, more often than not, gets him into trouble. “What did you do?”

“Nothing!”

Jongin raises an eyebrow.

“Fine!” Luhan grins. “Nothing yet. But I’m going to. I have to.”

“Lu, you’re doing that thing where you’re running around the main issue, saying random statements for dramatic effect and hoping I understand you,” Jongin says. “We both know that’s not going to happen. So, spit it out.”

“I think my roommate is hiding something from me,” Luhan says. “Something dangerous and I want to know what it is so I can bring him down and ask for a new roommate.”

Jongin tilts his head. “You don’t like Minseok?”

Luhan grabs his cheeks and squeezes. “Don’t tell me you do!”

Jongin pulls away. “He’s okay. A bit scary, but he’s nice.”

“He’s mean to me,” Luhan grumbles. “He’s mean, secretive, and—and he thinks he’s so much better than everyone just because his family has money. Ugh.”

“That doesn’t sound like him,” Jongin says, carefully. He doesn’t know Minseok well, but he’s seen the Gryffindor being kind to others—helping Sehun with his Transfiguration homework, offering to pay for Tao’s candy at Honeydukes. Maybe Minseok had taken a sudden dislike to Luhan just as Kyungsoo had taken a dislike for him?

Luhan pouts and frowns. He looks like a little kid about to throw a tantrum. He might be older, but he continually acts like the youngest, which is how he gets away with almost anything. “So now I’m lying?”

“No, um….” Jongin settles an arm around Luhan’s shoulders. “I just mean that maybe you should get to know him a bit more before judging him.”

“The only thing I want to know is his big, fat secret so I can blackmail him with it,” Luhan declares, a determined look on his face.

Jongin laughs. He shoves Luhan playfully, but follows him anyway. “So what are you going to do?”

As an answer, Luhan takes him to the Owlery. Then promptly pushes him into a hiding spot without explaining anything. The floor is covered in feathers, hay, and bird poop. Jongin is crouching and trying not to get much of it on his robes and pants, but it’s a lost cause. He glances at his hiding companion. “What are we doing here again?”

“Waiting for M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter