10 - Kris

~ EXO ~ 마마 ~

 

Kris.

 

Sometimes things have to come to an end, whether you want them to or not. There were a lot of things I wanted to end but trying to end one thing led to starting another.

 

---

 

I looked around at the view in front of me. I had seen it so many times, yet it was always beautiful to me. Sitting up on this rooftop was the only escape for me, everything just stresses me out and by the time it all builds up and I can’t handle it I come to this rooftop to relax.

Again, I had tried to handle my stress by laughing and being silly. Trying to avoid the cause or forget it, but it didn’t work. Not once have I been able to manage it properly and I’m starting to really suffer. It’s sad, I want to end this discomfort, but the only thing I can do at the moment is to relax on the rooftop.

I’d only ever spend a few hours up here with the view and my thoughts, but today I sat and watched the sunset, and fell asleep. I had a nice dream, the first nice one I’d had in years. I was running along a big field next to a big fiery dragon, and when he flew up in the air I also rose high up in the sky to sail the sky alongside him. I could feel the breeze on my face, but I woke up when a cold gust blew. I was still on the rooftop, and it was fairly late. If I stayed out much longer, I’d start to get sick from the cold, but the night view was something I hadn’t seen from the rooftop yet.

I stood up and looked through the city, stopping at every little detail to try and burn the image into my brain. I knew the city was pretty, I just had no idea how beautifully it shone in the night. I wanted to cry and scream and laugh and sigh, all these feeling were just starting to erupt. I laughed, I screamed and cried. After I had it all out I fell down to my knees and cried. After I couldn’t cry anymore, I laid down and sighed. If only I could leave, escape the stress, end all my problems.

But I couldn’t.

Flying with dragons wouldn’t be a part of my future, it was just a dream.

I rolled onto my back to look at the sky. There were a few clouds but the stars were bright. If only that dream came true, flying in the sky sounded so appealing that I wanted to just fly away from my problems. I closed my eyes and imagined myself flying, travelling over the fast blur of the city. I could feel the air on my cheeks getting colder, so I went to stand up and was very surprised to see myself a bit higher than the skyline. I looked down to see a noticeable gap between myself and the rooftop. I got scared, I didn’t know what was happening, and I slowly lowered down. Only when I felt my feet rest on the floor did I fully realise what had happened, did it even happen?

I stood up and took a deep breath. I jumped, and waited for the impact of hitting the floor again. But I never felt it. I looked around and was once again up high in the sky. I imagined myself lowering down, and I did.

So it wasn’t fake, I could fly.

I walked to the edge of the rooftop, and closed my eyes. I could feel the late night air had turned to early morning. I stood and watched as the sun started to rise. I closed my eyes again and took a very deep breath. I jumped the highest I could go, and opened my eyes when I was no longer on the rooftop. I was starting to fall, and I was so scared. I was so stupid for doing that, I was going to die now.
But before I could even think of how to say my final prayers, I felt a strong wind press against me and saw the city zipping underneath me. Before I knew it I was flying over the country side. The grass was tall and swaying, and I lowered myself down to fly just above them. I started to laugh, I was having so much fun.

I was starting to get tired after not having a proper night’s sleep, so I laid down in the grass and slept.

I woke up when I could feel the heat of the afternoon, but there was a big shadow over me. I sat up and saw what I only dreamed of.

A big beautiful dragon was sleeping next to me. When I stood up it stirred, and looked at me. It didn’t make any sudden movements, it just looked at me with expecting eyes. I walked closer, and hesitantly laid my hand on its nose. It accepted my touch, so I walked over and patted its neck. It was such a beautiful beast, I got so wrapped up in how big it was compared to me that I didn’t notice the sudden movement behind me.

“Hello, Kris is it?”

I turned around and saw a man about my age climbing off his own large beast. After staring at it, it looked very much like a phoenix.

“Yes? Who are you?”

“I’m Chanyeol. I saw a dragon here and the only dragon supposed to be here is yours, so I figured you’d be close by.”

“Wait, this dragon is mine?”

“Yup. Amazing creature isn’t it?”

“Yeah…”

“Have you spent much time with it?”

“No, I woke up from a nap and he was here with me.”

“You should get to know your dragon some more. How about we play for a bit?”

“Play?”

“Yeah, lets run!”

Chanyeol started to run off with his phoenix and called out for me to come with him. I looked at my dragon and it got up to stretch, then started to run off without me. I ran after it, it felt so good having the wind hitting my cheeks as I caught up with the rest. After a while my dragon stretched it’s wings far out and took off onto the sky. I laughed and jumped, launching myself into the air.

“Bet you can’t catch up with us!”

“Just you wait!”

He clambered up onto his phoenix and let out a yell. I yelled in reply, and my dragon roared. We all laughed, and I caught up with my dragon to climb on top of him. We flew way past the sunset, yelling and laughing all the way into the late night.

 

---

 

The normality in my life may have ended, but a new, more exciting journey had started. I had already made new friends through it, and who knows what else I’ll gain out of it.