Chapter Three: Partner Up!

Captured
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So you're really not going to tell me?" I pouted, sticking my head in between his head rest and the passenger seat's head rest. "What's his naaaaaaame?!" 

It was a wonderful Sunday morning and I'd gone with Officer Bang and his partners, Officer Ahn and Pil, on patrol for a little bit before they were to drop me off at the elementary school where the little girl being put up for ransom was attending. 

"Sorry Yujin," Officer Ahn chimed, coming in to rescue Officer Bang from my excessive begging. "We've been sworn to secrecy, old man Kim made it very clear that he didn't want you knowing until the time was right. Plus, he thought it'd be fun to watch you squirm for a little bit, watching you try to figure out who his son is pretty amusing to everyone at the Station." 

Officer Bang let out a little chuckle-- as well as Officer Pil--- before continuing, "He'll be coming in tomorrow to meet you, why don't you just wait until tomorrow?"

"Because!" I exclaimed, throwing my body back onto my seat, crossing my arms in defeat. Officer Pil, who was sitting beside me-- with his serious and cold exterior and soft and easy interior, watched me act like a five year old that was just denied ice cream after dinner. "I want to know noooow."

They laughed at me and each shook their heads in amusement.

"Well, sorry little Yu. You'll have to figure this one out on your own or just wait for tomorrow. You really will be a good officer in the future, you and your stubborness and strong will to figure things out. Definitely a good quality to have, for cases though, not for bugging officers for information." Officer Bang joked as he pulled along side Paejong Elementary School, ready to let me off. "I'll be seeing you tomorrow, be ready to meet your new partner!"

The officers waved goodbye as they drove off to go to a call they'd got about a robbery somewhere downtown at a local supermarket. 

I walked inside the school. In contrast from its wonderful and strong looking outside, with its bright red bricks and newly looking metal double doors that were a sporting a nice fresh coat of black paint that must have only been a few months old, inside the building were long stretched hallways with dented lockers and paint chipped walls. I walked straight past a few lockers and a few classrooms and in about ten or twelve steps, I arrive at the main office that was tucked away on my right. 

"Hello," I smiled at the aged lady working today as an office helper, like Mrs. Im back at the Station. "I'm from the Police Station and would like to speak with someone regarding the absence of one, Miss Han Boram. She'd gone missing about a week ago and I'll be needing to begin my investigation here. May I begin with the principal? I'd like to ask him a few questions."

She gave me a skeptical look, one that I'd gotten quite often due to my age. "Excuse me? Look little girl, I don't have time to be dealing with your little prank. Speaking of the Police Station, would you mind if I called them and have them bring you down there for bothering me during off-school hours? On Sundays, the principal and teachers come in to organize their class plans for the next school day, we do not need children here bothering us and wasting our time."

I gave her no reaction, though in my head I wanted to jump over the desk that kept us at arms length and fight her, and instead showed her my official document and Police badge. I'd had enough of people judging me by my appearance and giving me so much trouble, that I'd asked H. Officer Kim for an official badge after this happened for the third time shortly after I'd begun my work with the police. 

"Go ahead," I smirked, leaning towards her and holding my badge closer to her face. "I dare you, call the Station." 

Her eyes, and excuse me but this was always my favourite part of this whole situation, exploded and a red blush occupied her cheeks. "I-I--"

"You'll be letting me through and showing me to the principal's office immediately," My smirk still playing on my face, not even wavering. I was riding this wave of righteousness all the way. Damn right! "Right, Ms. Kim?"

She fumbled with her things on her desk and grabbed a remote control, that I guessed buzzed the principal, seeing as how she pressed a button and told me to go to the room at the end of the hall on her right (my left, since the way we were situated). 

And though it didn't help my case of showing people that I was old enough and mature enough to be working with the police, I gave her a smug look and glared at her like the child I was in these situations. I hated people looking down on me and making rash judgments based on my image. I hated it even more than I hated the cold, and that was saying a lot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Jung was not the typical principal I was expecting to meet, I'd imagined him to look somewhat like ours. He was, I'd say at least 50 years old, with a light coating of grey locks that covered his head. Unlike how I'd pictured him, a short chubby man with a balding head, he was about 5'6 with a regular build. He was a man with a kind and aged face, wrinkles flashed when he'd smile, it created a nice sense of warmth that radiated off him.

I sat down across from Mr. Jung's desk, giving him the basic information about my reason on visiting the school. I opened up my large black handbag and pulled out a notebook to write down what info I could get from him.

I wrote down my question, and following would be his answer.

"Good morning Mr. Jung," I began, clicking my pen. "Would you mind answering a few questions for me?"

He nodded, staring at my notebook on my lap. He looked confused, probably due to the fact that a teenager was cornering him and investigating him on her disappearance. "Um, excuse me asking but--"

"Aren't I a little too young to be an investigator," I finished for him. I seriously have heard just about everything. This was not my first case, okay? I've been at this for awhile now--enough to know how to do my job--, a YEAR now to be exact. "I reassure you, I'm very very experienced in this field and have handled many cases in the past." 

"I-I'm sorry dear," Mr. Jung responded, his lips forming a thin line. "Its just, you're so young. Its very impressive, its amazin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter