Prologue I: Unlucky Winds

Captured
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let me walk you home," He repeated himself for the hundredth time, putting one hand over mine. "C'mon, it's not that far."

I watched as his mouth twitched into a smile and wavered between a cheeky smile and a concerned one. It was the middle of December and as usual, winter was a . I could feel the inside of my nose forming icicles, eventually, I began breathing from my mouth. I let out little puffs of white clouds, watching both mine and his mix together before evaporating into the midnight air.

His statement of, "not that far", made me scoff. It had to be at least a 15 minute walk from his house to mine.

I glanced away from his face and brought my attention to his big hand on mine, which was as red as a cherry. I really should have bought gloves this year, it was much colder than I remembered it to be last year. The air was cold and brisk, each intake of air felt like a sharp shooting pain in my chest. Then again, maybe this was all because I wasn't made for the cold and my fever was creeping back on me. I'd just gotten over the worst fever of my life two days ago and being in the cold again wasn't the smartest idea. 

"You have a basketball game tomorrow," I brought up, slipping my hand out of his. "I don't want you getting sick or anything. You should go back in and sleep, I'll be fine."

His glaze fell onto his empty hand, a small frown took place of his smile. But only long enough for me to catch it. It was always long enough for me to catch it, before his smile came back into view. His wonderful and addicting smile, but it didn't have it's affect on me, not like it had before. No, this time... things were different. 

"I'll be fine," He rebutted, tilting his head slightly. "I-I want to. Plus, it's really dark now. I didn't think the project would take so long to finish."

I nodded absentmindedly, "It's fine, I want to walk alone. I'll be fine by myself."

Unlike the time I had to catch his classic smile, he had no time to stop me from walking down his driveway. 

"W-Wait!" He shouted, a tinge of surprise laced in his voice as he jogged down behind me. 

I turned around, somewhat tired of this. "Listen, I don't need you to do anything for me. It's done, okay?"

This time, his smile stayed hidden behind that frown of his.

"I--"

"I'm going to go home," I interrupted. "I'm going to walk away, you are going to stay here, and we're going to see each other tomorrow for the presentation."

He nodded but his faci

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter