Surprise

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

2 months passed

Mark had finished filming his drama much quicker than what the director and producer had announced. The drama was done a month and a half before the actual date. It wasn't a bad thing though since he did want to finally get some rest. He no longer had to envy the other member's breaks and vacations.

 

What was still a mystery for him was that he had no knowledge of becoming a father. By now, BamBam and Yugyeom had spilled the beans about Mark's upcoming journey to the other four. Of course, they got scolded by Jaebum for sniffing their noses into Mark's matters, but the guys did end up persuaded to help their eldest out little by little.

The guys finally found time to sit together in their shared living room. "Hey Mark hyung, have you thought of returning home sooner than you planned?" Jaebum mentioned.

Mark skimmed through his social media on his cellphone. "Don't we have a comeback soon? Isn't that why we are all back together?" His tone was dry and uninterested.

"Yeah, but JYP briefly told me the other day that we might have to hold off on that for another year because of the new debut of trainees." The leader clarified. "It'll be good for us to rest some more and prepare. We haven't announced it to the public, so we don't have to worry about backing up our words."

"Yeah, it would be nice to go back to Hong Kong. I miss my parents." The sentimental Jackson chimed.

Mark just shrugged, being te quiet one that he is.

Yugyeom was getting frustrating with Mark, so he erupted. "You need to go back home, hyung! You have to make-up with noona!"

That earned Jinyoung to pull Yugyeom by the neck with a glare. They couldn't afford the maknae to tell Mark anything just yet. They agreed to only give hints and let Mark find out himself, but it was bothering the younger one too much to stick to the promise.

"Hyung, let me go!" Yugyeom wiggled in the omma's grip. "Mark hyung needs to know the truth! He needs to know why noona-!"

Jaebum stood up, "Enough, Gyeom!" He gave the other male a pleading look. "That's enough." He cooed. With BamBam's help, Jinyoung had walked Yugyeom back to their room.

Mark squinted, "What the hell was that all about? Why does he suddenly have to bring my wife into this?" Mark found it bothersome.

Youngjae looked around at Jaebum, Jackson and Mark. "It would be good for us to see all our families."

Mark grumbled and said something under his breath that none of them heard then left to his room and closed his door. Jackson was brought back from shock and went to the room, only to find out it was locked. "Great, now I'm locked out of my own room too." He huffed. "Why can't I get my own room by now. We are grown men!" He threw a fit, but no one really cared at this point because they were all worried about Mark.


 

It's been hard sleeping at night because of back pains, which made mornings the worst because I'd be so tired from the lack of sleep and morning sickness. It was terrible, but I often thought of it positively that in the end, it would be all worth it carrying this child. It would so god damn rewarding.

"Hey, what do you feel like eating today?" Tammy had asked me the second you made your prescence noticeable in the kitchen.

Though you were mostly positive, this pregnancy was making you moody. You just didn't want to do anything because you were stressed, tired, and somewhat depressed. "I don't want to eat. I'll just puke it all out anyways."

"Come on. You have to eat regardless. The doctor even said so." She came and patted you on the back. "I'll make you chicken soup."

You sighed, "Sure, that's fine."

"Look, Kate. I know it when your pregnancy puts you through tough times. I've been there with my two girls so I completely understand you." She heaved. "And I know that with my brother being away and you both not on good terms, it's much harder, but you have me and the family here. We'll make sure you get the best experience of being a mother."

Tammy was so comforting and it warmed my heart. Her words were always so uplifting and I found power in them. "Thank you so much. O appreciate you...all of you." I hugged her.

 

As I sat at the table, watching Kylie and Leila play with their dollhouse in the living room, my mind drifted to Mark. How was he doing? He hasn't called and I haven't either since I've been too sick to fo anything. Was he taking good care of himself? How was his drama going?

"Hey, sis." Joey appeared from the front door as he greeted me. "I just talked with Mark yesterday. He just finished his filming." It was as if Joey knew I were thinking about his brother, wondering about him.

I nodded, "Thanks, Joey. I can always count on you for information regarding your brother."

He then came and sat by you after greeting Tammy. His voice was serious. "So, have you thought about what you're going to say to Mark once he comes back?"

"Joey-" Tammy was going to tell him to not mention such things because it was Mark and my problem, but I really didn't mind.

 "It's fine." I reassured Tammy and then looked back at the younger brother. "I honestly don't know. I'll probably have the baby before he comes anyways." From the corner of my eye, I could see Tammy looking at me from the stove with some sad eyes. I knew inwardly she wanted me to tell Mark soon. The whole family did, I'm sure. It's just they're respecting me and not forcing me to tell my husband.

"But, don't you think maybe Mark might be furious with you? I think my brother should know soon." Joey's voice was soft and careful.

"You're right, but I don't know how to tell him now. I can't just call and tell him I'm 5 months pregnant." I sounded defeated.

"If not that, you should at least call him. Don't get too comfortable with this silence." He handed his phone over to me. I looked at it and Mark's number was already dialed. I listened as it rang and excused myself back to the guest room.

 

The ringing stopped and I think it was the anxiety in me because I didn't think about what I was saying. I just let the words fly out. "Hey, Mark. I understand if you're  mad at me. I deserve your yelling and cursing. I'm sorry I hid this from you, but Mark........I....I am 5 months pregnant. We're having a baby girl, Mark." At this rate, my heart was beating fast, which caused my breathing to race as well. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you."

It was quiet for a few seconds. "Kate? Hey, th-this is Jackson. I-um...answered Mark's phone because he's showering right now. I-I'm sorry if you thought I was Mar-" Jackson was stuttering. He heard the news from BamBam and Yugyeom, but hearing confirmation like this was still awestrucking to him.

Part of me was embarrassed, but at the same time I was thankful it was not Mark who answered because that was a stupid way of telling. I guess I can call that a practice run and for sure, it wasn't a good idea.

"Jackson, promise me you wouldn't say a thing to Mark about this." You filled in. "That was probably a lot to take in, but don't tell him. Never mind that you heard all of that, okay?" I knew they both were close, so I prayed and crossed my fingers Jackson would keep this to himself.

"Are you planning to call back and tell him? Or did you want me to tell him to call you?"

You shook your head, though Jackson wouldn't be able to see. "No, don't have him call me. I just thought about it and I actually want to keep this a secret a bit longer.....so thanks Jackson, for answering."

"Wait! W-why?!" Jackson questioned. "Why did you keep it a secret and why won't you tell Mark now especially if you accidentally told me?"

"I'm sure he already told you and the rest that we aren't on good terms right now. I think this is the least concern on his list anyways." You bit your tongue, trying to think of what terms were causing you two to be so stubborn.

"But he's having a child. Don't you think he has to know? It only makes sense that he does, Kate. I don't know what is it that really went on, but I hope you two can fix this before the arrival of the baby." Jackson was sincerely speaking and it was the first time I ever saw this side of him. He was so supportive of Mark and I mending this mess.

"Thanks, Jackson. For now, promise me you won't tell Mark any of this, alright? I want to wait for the right time."

With that, I hung up and cursed myself for having another close person of Mark's to keep this secret. I was getting into more mess than I thought. I was getting so many people to turn their backs on Mark and it felt utterly wrong.


"See you guys later! I'm going out to dinner with Becky!" Mark was on the way to answer the knock on the door until Jackson stopped him.

"Uh, no you're not." Jackson held the doorknob.

"Uh, yes I am."

Jackson shook his head, "We are going on a team dinner."

"Who said?" Mark gave him a look of annoyance.

"Me." Jaebum popped into the space. "You'll have to tell Becky next time or never."

Mark then realized everyone of them has been acting so odd. It has been as if they were all gaining up on him for some reason that's unknown to him. "Why are you all being so controlling lately? Get out of my business." He managed to open the door and invite the young lady inside.

Jackson took this time to shoo away the woman. "Sorry, but Mark can't go out tonight. We have a team dinner. Hope you understand."

Becky was a bit lost at how direct Jackson was, not even greeting her first. She made a puppy face at Mark, "Oh, okay then. Mark you should've told me."

Jaebum grimaced at the sight and so did Jackson, who made it more obvious. Mark shot evil glares at them before looking over to Becky, "We'll you can come along too. We are all friends so I'm sure the guys don't mind."

The other two faces fell. They thought they've finally succeeded in pulling Becky away from their hyung, but in fact, they only contributed into bringing her closer. Mark smirked at the othe two guys, signifying that he was going to have his way too if they were going to have theirs. Becky made herself comfortable by the sofa as Jaebum and Jackson dragged Mark to one of the bedrooms.

"You can't be hanging around that woman!" Jaebum whispered-yelled.

"Why not?!"

"You're freaken MARRIED!" Jackson said in the same tone.

"We aren't like that! We are friends!"

They quarreled for some time causing the other boys to enter, which only caused more chaos. Eventually, Mark lost this round. He had to talk Becky out on dinner. The victory of the boys didn't come easy, but at least they've won after all.

 

While at dinner, Mark was quiet amongst the guys. He didn't feel like he was part of them. Was it because of his marriage that he felt like nothing was moving forward for him? He was leaning more towards that thought. During that whole time, the guys threw in suggestions of him calling Kate, knowing that there's been some thick feeling in the air between the two. Now that he was also seeing Becky more, they told him their worries that it wasn't te right thing to do. Basically, it wasn't a team dinner, it was more like a 'give-Mark-advice-on-his-marriage' type of dinner.

 

Somehow though, it swayed him. When they got home, he sat up in bed and shooed Jackson out to go sleep with Jinyoung because he had to take care of some things. Jackson respected that, feeling that maybe Mark was moved by the talk over dinner. As soon as Mark was alone, indeed, he called Kate.

 

"Hello?"

"Hey, babe." It's been a long time since he's used a nickname on his wife.

"Mark, why are you calling? It's 4AM here."

He sighed. He didn't really know why he called. "Ah, sorry. I forget about the time difference."

Kate was wide awake due to back pains, but she acted as if she was in deep sleep just before he had called. "It's fine. How are you?"

It was an awkward conversation. They didn't speak like they were a married couple. They spoke as if they were only aquaintances.

"Good. I finished fimling." He said it as if he's been wanting to update Kate about his life in Korea.

"Yeah, I heard from Joey. That's great."

"Yeah."

"Mark, hold on okay?" Her voice sounded distant. Mark heard the muffling of a hand covering over the speaker and heard a soft gagging sound.

"Kate. Kate? Are you okay?"

Her voice filled in the line again, "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. I was just doing something."

"Are yo sure? Were you throwing up or something?"

"No." She simply said. "Did Jackson say anything unsual to you?" Her voice was slightly sounded worried.

Mark bluntly answered, "No, he hasn't said anything. Why?"

Kate breathed in relief, "Nothing. I was only wondering."

They both fell into awkward air again.

"Mark, I'm going back to sleep. Thanks for calling." She was fighting her words of I miss you and I love you.

"Okay, bye then."

There was no progress in their talk. It was nothing, but plain words being exchanged.


"Alright guys, I called you all in today because I'm letting you guys off in the next 3 months. You guys can go back home or stay here if you guys like. I'm postponing the comeback. After 6 months, you guys can come back and start working on the recording and choreography. For now, just listen to the songs that will be on the album and go over your own parts individually." JYP had announced to the guys in the meeting room.

They all felt relief because they knew individually that they needed some more time. It's never easy getting together to prepare a comeback so they were all grateful. Mark has no reaction out of the foreign members. Jackson and BamBam celebrated. The Korean members were also just as happy even though they'd be in the country.

Mark couldn't fathom the idea of facing Kate after so long when their short-lived phone calls were bland. Not only that, but they haven't even talked more than 3 times or so out of the 5 months.


3 months passed

 

According to the doctor's description, my baby is about the size of a honeydew melon. What an interesting comparison. My morning sickness was dying down since I was close to the end cycle of pregnancy. Lately, I've been having sharp pains in my sides so I've been taking some medication the doctor reccommended.

I sat in the living room as Tammy sweetly volunteered to give my feet a massage and pedicure. I really don't know how I'd be without her constant help and kindness. As for Joey, he was sitting on the opposing sofa on his laptop. I caught him keep looking my way.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Mark...."

"Mark what....?" I asked at how strange he was being.

"He said he has a surprise for us." Joey showed me the Facebook message his older brother sent. "Did he say anything to you?" He asked.

"No, we barely talked about anything." I denied knowing anything.

Tammy commented, "He probably sent mom and dad some money. That was usually his surprise back then."

 

After Tammy had finished with my pedicure and massage, she went for a shower. Joey excused himself too saying he had a date with Andrea. I was with the little girls as we watched TV. Just as I was thinking of the future of raising my own little girl, a knock was heard at the door. I was sure it was going to be my in-laws since they said they were coming over with sushi, I opened the door.

 

As I opened the door, I spot someone with a suitcase and a duffle bag. The person was dressed in a plain, grey t-shirt with a denim button-up on top, black pants and a pair of black and white Vans. The person dropped the duffle bag onto the floor, with wondering eyes. I shifted my gaze away as my face heats up in humiliation. The quietness was broken once Kylie and Leila hugged this person by the legs.

I wasn't sure the person standing before me was who I thought it was until the two girls happily yelled, Uncle Mark!"

 

I knew I had to explain myself now. It came too soon.

 

 

 

Author's Note: Sorry! I know it's been a long time since an update! Thanks for still sticking around! This update wasn't much, so I apologize, but be ready for the next update! More things are about to come! Thank you for reading! Much love! <3