Seoul, South Korea

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

Mark woke up to the sound of the captain's announcement about arriving in Seoul. He motioned to the window seat to tap the person sitting there, thinking that it was Kate. The grandma thanked him for waking her up. It was then when he realized he had come all the way to Seoul by himself. He was so use to waking Kate up when they were on flights together. Part of him sank to its lowest, whether that be his heart or his guts.

 

Mark continued to the baggage area and he his phone with hope that maybe his wife left him messages or calls. There was none. With the time he had, he checked his email and still, there was nothing stating Kate's care or concern about him. He was already over the matter of their dispute and was about to be the first to call, but then he checked the time and it was 5:30 pm Korea time, which meant it was 12:30 am in California. It was too late to call so he put back his phone in his jacket. Since he came back without announcing, fans did not crowd the airport. He was thankful because as much as he loves his fans, he wasn't in the mood, considering the problem he just had with his wife hours ago.

"Hyung!" A familiar voice called out to Mark. He examined the tall male who he made out to be Yugyeom. With a hat, shades, and a scarf, it was obvious he was disguising himself. Mark didn't say anything and walked over to the maknae.

"Who are you here with?" Mark asked.

"Hyung, remember? I can drive now." Yugyeom raised his keys to Mark's eyes. "You should be happy I was willing to pick ou up or else you would've slept here until morning."

"What's up with the rest?"

"Jr. picked up BamBam the other day and Youngjae and JB picked up Jackson yesterday. Today they said it was my turn."

"Well then, let's hurry home. I'm tired." Mark already started walking towards the exit, but then stopped to see that Yugyeom's eyes were still wondering into the crowd of people waiting for their luggages.

Knowing why, Mark retorted with a straight face, "She didn't come. Let's go."

"Noona isn't here? Why?" The youngest was curious.

There was no reply and thought Yugyeom was itching so bad to know, he decided to not push Mark's buttons until they got home to the rest.


Yugyeom helped Mark carry his belongings to the dorm. Being here again afte years, it brought so much memories to Mark. He remembered Kate's first visit and Kate's second visit when she came to study abroad. His wife was the only person on his mind at the moment. When they both got into the elevator to lead them to their floor, Yugyeom fought to be ahead of Mark. It was strange for the older male to see him like that. Yugyeom was trying to stall time for some reason and he took out his phone to send out a text. The floor dinged and Yugyeom walked ahead, but slowly, which agitated Mark.

"Can you walk any faster? Make use of those long legs, Gyeom." Mark was annoyed already.

"Hyung, I think we forgot something back at the car. Let's go back." Yugyeom made up an excuse, but Mark was too smart. He argued that there was no reason to go back because he only had is backpack and luggage with him.

Yugyeom blew at his slightly pink and blonde hair, whispering something to the gods. Mark sensed some weirdness, but he didn't have time to conclude what was really going on. After the first knock on the door, it propped open and the members inside yelled surprise. Yugyeom face-palmed himself and shook his head. He was giving the signal to cut out the surprise, but it was all too late.

"Welcome back! We are now officially GOT7!" BamBam sprayed streamers around Mark.

Jackson was hollering and the rest danced with music turned up. Yugyeom walked over to turn off the music and that caught everyone off guard. They directed their eyes to Mark who rolled his eyes and walked coolly to his shared room with Jackson just like back then. Once the door closed to signal that Mark is completely away in a different room, the maknae shook his head in disappointment to his hyungs.

"Did you guys not check your cellphones?! I told you guys to cancel the plan!"

The 5 others all took out their phones at the same time and finally noticed.

Yugyeom huffed, "Too late now."

"What's wrong with him? And where is Kate noona?" Youngjae chirped.

"I don't know either. He didn't say anything about noona when I asked. Something probably went on though."

BamBam suggested, "One of us should talk to him."

"I'll go." Jackson, Jr, and JB all asid in unison.

"No, I'll go. MarkJin is closer." Jr reasoned.

"No, Markson is." Jackson was playfully offended.

JB jumped into it, "But I'm leader so I should talk to him."

Jackson couldn't let it go so he said, "I'm his roommate."

Everyone else rolled their eyes and shooed him into the room to talk with Mark.

 

Jackson walked in on Mark who was laying down with his earphones in, staring at the ceiling. He went and sat next to Mark's laying form. He told his roommate that everyone knew something is wrong and asked him to tell him the reason. Mark's volume was up, but not loud enough to clear out Jackson's voice. He partially wanted to hear what his friend had to offer, what form of comfort was he to get. The Hong Kong man was patience enough to wait out until Mark had no choice but to spill. Mark sat up and began explaining the whole cause of his mood and his buddy couldn't say much but nod and pat his back. Before the two noticed, the other members were surrounding them and they all saw the sorrow and pain that Mark was carrying. They each notified Mark that they were there for him even though they can't clearly understand the hurt because none of them were married. The guys told Mark to not overthink it and to wait it out before talking to Kate because they knew she probably needed space too. Though their older friend was going through the hurt, they didn't blame Kate for anything. The were all neutral about the issue because they did not know the story like Mark and Kate did.

JB broke the silence after a while, "Let's celebrate GOT7's reunion. We are finally back together afte 2 years. I know you're probably not in the mood, but our job is to keep each other happy so let's try to enjoy our first night back together. Yeah?"

Mark nodded in agreement and the rest followed out into the living room for the food.

 


All the members were still sound asleep, tired and full from the previous night. Mark was up at 6 am to call home, aching to hear Kate's voice and to tell her he missed her even though it's only been a day. It was their first time beng a part since marriage and to think he wasn't going to be able to see her until 9 months was killing him. He called around 3 times, but all the calls led to voicemail. After the ringing of the house phone brought no success, he dialed Kate's cellphone. It took him another 3 times to hear her own voicemail. He tossed and turned in his bed at all the failed attempts. He began to think of all the worst scenarios that could've happened to his wife and his heart squeezed each time.

Jackson's hoarse morning voice interrupted him, "Hyung, don't stress it out. Just try calling later. Maybe she's busy."

Mark surprisingly obeyed. Jackson somewhat felt important.

 

 

JB had come to wake everyone up, just like the leader he is. He informed them all that they had to head over to the company for work. Maybe because it was their first day back to business, but they all took longer than normal getting ready and all. It was also odd to see their manager come by to load them in the van. To them, it was like their trainee and rookie days all over and it felt very nostalgic to think about.


JYP excused the members after their group talk was over, but held Mark back. He said he wanted to talk to Mark alone regarding other matters. The members seemed to know what it was going to be about so they signaled Mark that it wasn't anything bad and that they all got a talk already too.

 

"Mark, how is marriage life?"

JYP cared about his artists as a producer, but he also had an older brother figure regardless of the age difference. There was time for business talk, but also time for personal talk like family. He took the time to open up with Mark.

"It has it's tough times, I guess."

JYP nodded, "Well if ever you need any help or advice. Don't be hesitant."

"Yes, hyung."

"Anyways, I was wondering if you're interested in debuting as an actor. SBS has a drama coming up and they'd like you to be their male lead."

He has never thought of acting since his trainee days. Now that there's an open opportunity, he wasn't so sure. JYP explained the loveline and what's expected of his character and it only left him more puzzled. He felt the need to discuss this with Kate first because after all, he wanted Kate to know everything that he takes part of.

"Do I have time to think about it?"

"Two days."

"Two days?" How was he going to have an answer in such short time? "That's all I get?"

"Look, this is serious work and we have to abide to everything that SBS wants."

Mark breathed an agreement and left.


The day was ending soon and Mark attempted to call Kate again, but no answer. He gave up and decided to conact Joey instead. Maube his brother might be with Kate.

"Hello?"

"Joey!" Mark sounded more than relief to finally hear someone's voice from home. It meant he was at least a step closer to Kate.

"Hey, bro. What's up? Heard your back in Korea. Mom is upset that you didn't tell any of us, but I understand."

"Thanks, I can always count on you to understand." Mark smiled to himself. "Is Kate there with you?"

"Oh no, she isn't. Tammy, Grace and Kate went to the doctor's office."

Hearing about a doctor's office got Mark worked up. "Why is anything wrong with any of them? Possibly Kate?!"

"Hey, calm down. I'm babysitting. You're so loud Kylie and Leila can hear you." Joey warned.

"Oh, tell them uncle Mark says hi and that he misses them." He heard Joey convey his message and the little girls scream their hellos. "Joey, so what's wrong? Why did the they go to the doctor's?"

"One of them is not feeling well, but don't worry. We have it all controlled here so just work hard and take good care of yourself."

"Are you hiding something? Why are you so suspicious?"

 "I'm telling you everything that I can, bro."

Mark gave up, "Okay, just please tell Kate to call me back. Miss you all. Talk to you later."

After the call ended, Mark didn't feel any better. If he could teleport, he wanted to be with Kate this instant. He felt like he had so much to talk to Kate about. He thought back to the drama he was assigned and overlooked the storyline. It was about two individuals who begin to fall in love after the man rescues the woman from a car accident. There were other little parts to it, but overall, he thought this drama wasn't bad to start him off. Mark agreed with himself that if he couldn't reach his wife in time to tell her about this drama piece, he was going to just do it because he found nothing wrong with it. Plus, it was part of his work to review and go along with what he is given if he liked it.


Kate's call never returned and Mark was sure enough that Joey had already told her. He was beginning to think how unbelivable it was of his wife to still be this mad. Thinking that maybe she was ignoring him because he had fled back to Seoul made him mad as well, so he picked up his phone and dialed JYP. Through the phone, he agreed to take the male lead of the SBS drama. He didn't care for the opinion of his wife and went along with what he believed was right.

"I'm glad you agreed. Be prepared to meet with the female lead in a couple of days," JYP informed.


Somehow Mark drifted from his determination to talk with Kate. Work was piling up and he slowly kept himself busy instead of waiting by the phone for his wife. Today, he was going to meet with the producer, director and his co-star and he knew he had to focus. JYP had accompanied him, but excused himself to the restroom once they reached the conference room.

Mark spotted a female, close to his age. She had silky, light brown hair with clear white skin. Her lips were thin, but perfect for he small, angelic face. Her eyes were doe-like and her nose brigde was also just as lovely. Her small frame was also one of a super model.

"Hello, I'm Baek Ji, but you can call me Becky. Nice to meet you." She bowed to Mark.

For the first time in a long while, he was in front of a Korean female celebrity. He didn't know how to react so he stumbled with his words, but managed to introduce himself afterwards. "I'm Mark Tuan." His bottom lip tuck in just like it always did when he was nervous. For some reason, to be in a room with just him and another female felt odd and the temperature seemed to have gotten hotter by the seconds.