Playing Games

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

"Mrs. Tuan, we will be proceeding to the procedure in just a minute here. I am your anesthesiologist, Dr. Lee and I will be with you here as Dr. Kim directs the operation. I'll be injecting some medication so that you will not feel any sort of pain. It will be numb on your waist down." Dr. Lee spoke calmly to me and I was more than content I was having a female doctor in the room as well besides some of the nurses who were accompanying Dr. Kim. I replied to her briefly that I understood her position and trusted her to give me whatever medicine I am required to have.

Dr. Kim then turned to Mark, "Feel free to talk to your wife through this operation to get her mind off what is going on. It would greatly calm her nerves in this way. The time will range from 45 minutes to an hour the longest." I watched Mark and he only nodded, following it with a 'thank you' after.

A chair was given to Mark and he sat beside me. To distract myself from seeing all the trays of medical appliances being pulled out, I stared at him for some time. I couldn't help but ponder on the kiss that just happened minutes ago. He adjusted his gaze to me as well, but tore away my stare. Doing so, I noticed his hand was still loosely in my grip. I toughened myself and let go of his hand. I folded my hands over my chest and laid straight, closing my eyes in the process. I didn't want to awkwardly interact, so I chose to pretend he wasn't there with me. The quietness I had fled off to was short lived. I felt Mark lean forward on the bed and I could tell his face was right beside mine. For sure I didn't plan to open my eyes yet. I wasn't ready to see his captivating gaze.

"Didn't you say you were scared? You can still hold my hands." He whispered into the side of my face, not wanting to be too loud in case it was distracting to the medical team.

I wasn't planning to reply, but I felt his fingers trickle down my cheekbone, clearing away some strands of hair. "I'm fine." I retreated from his touch by turning my head the oposite direction of him.

"The doctor said we can talk during this---"

"I don't want to talk, Mark. Just sit quietly like you always do, will you?" I whispered back with my eyes still shut.

I heard him sigh and it was quiet for the next 20 minutes. In that duration of time, I felt slight pressure, but it was gone as quick as it came. My brows narrowed from time to time as I hit myself mentally for thinking of the bloody operation below my waist. Oh God, let this be over already. Right when I needed a distraction the most, Mark's voie came through to save me.

"Have you thought of a name for our daughter?" He never moved from his close proximity. I shook my head from side to side, unsure how to carry on this conversation. He continued with a statement this time, "Ever since the doctor told me we were having a daughter in the lobby, I've been thinking of all these possible names, but I'd like to know if you had any in mind." Mark was smart about wording his curiousity. It gave me an open door to pitch in my ideas.

"I haven't settled with one."

"Well, what are some you have in mind. Give me your list."

"It's not a long list." I heaved. "I only have two."

"Tell me them and I'll tell you mine." He was so calm it made me flashback to the days when we loved passionately.

I gave the names one after the other. "Grace or Serenity."

Mark stopped speaking to which I guessed he was thinking. "I like those. We can choose between the two."

"You said you'd tell me your list." I spoke up, innitiating for him to continue the conversation. Damn him for making me curious.

"Well," He rested his warm palm upon my hands that were still above my chest, "I thought of Emma and Mercy."

For a first time father-to-be, Mark didn't have bad taste in names. I actually thought they were really cute and fitting. I chose to be honest and complimented him. "You have nice names in mind. Either one of them would be fine with me."

"You're the mom, so you choose." He gave me authority.

It was sweet of him to say so, but I felt the need to include him in the journey of my pregnancy, so I returned the authority to him. "You choose. I want you to take part in the pregnancy journey before it ends in the next 25 minutes or so." I tried not to sound emotional over the idea that Mark and I didn't get to make a proper decision before the labor room.

I hear Mark shuffle. I opened my eyes to see him with his eyes closed as if he was contemplating. He then opened his eyes and we caught each other's tired ones. "You really think I deserve naming our daughter?"

My eyes zoomed over his features, letting them sink in as I try to figure out the right words to say. "Of course, you are her father after all. You have every right to name her." I tried not to sound so soft and mellow in case I might cry with my words.

The conversation was left off at that once we heard a newborn's cry. My face contorted when I saw that the doctor and nurses congratulated Mark and I. We didn't get to see our daughter just yet since they were cleaning her, but they notified us our daughter would be in our arms in a second. My hand flew over my mouth as I allowed the fact that I was now a mother rest in my mind. Mark had a blank face on. Inwardly, he was probably just as surprised that the day has come. Well, at least I hope so.

"Mrs. Tuan, you're baby is here." Dr. Kim introduced me to my child as Mark stood up to show his thankfulness.

"Oh my gosh." I had tears spilling out of my eyes as I held onto the tiny baby in my arms.

"Mr. and Mrs. Tuan, you both can hold her as we finish clearing all te equipments. We'll be relocating you two in a room soon after."

I replied, "Thank you."

I couldn't stop crying at the sight. She was beautiful. So meek and gentle. So lovable and cute. I kissed her forehead after seeing that Mark hasn't said a word or gotten the chance to hold our daughter since she was handed to me. He appeared so stunned as he stood beside the bed watching the baby and I. "Would you like to hold her?"

"I-I don't know. I haven't held a new born in a very long time." He wiped his hands down the side of his legs.

"Come closer," I commanded. I handed over our daughter to him and I could see how in love he was by seeing how his eyes examined her. He brought up his finger to lightly brush her soft, baby cheeks.

"She's-she's really cute."

One of the nurses came towards us. "Sorry to interrupt, but may I get the name of the newborn?" A clipboard was in her hand ready to jot down information.

I looked towards Mark, giving him the signal to say his chosen name. He swallowed before saying his decision. "Mercy. We'll be naming her Mercy Guan Yin Tuan."Mark even spelled out the entire name to make sure it was all right.

"Perfect, now if you would follow me Mr. Tuan, we will go measure and weigh baby Mercy. Mrs. Tuan we will be back shortly."

 


I was given a room shortly after. Mark and my daughter had not come back yet and I was eagar to ask Mark a question. I was told I had to remain in recovery mode for two hours before any visitors. The only exception was Mark and the baby. I fumbled with my thumbs and just as the door opened to reveal my husband and child's entrance, I sat up. "You two are finally back."

"It wasn't that long since we've been gone. You just got placed in a different room."

A smile turned up on my face as I eyed Mercy. "Can I hold her?" I was desperate to feel her against me again. Mark leaned over the bed to make it easier for me to take hold of Mercy. "You gave her a Chinese name." I voiced the obvious. Frankly, I was surprised he came up with one so quick. "It didn't cross my mind that we should give her one," I added.

"I'm sorry. Something just sparked in me and I found it fitting with her English name."

"What does it mean?"

"It means goddess of mercy." Mark clarified and he was right, it was fitting. "I remember my grandmother use to tell me bedtime stories and that was the name of the goddess."

I nodded in approval, "That's a beautiful meaning. Mercy would love to hear the story of how she got her name."

Our talk was bland as if we were strangers just passing by. There wasn't much excitement. The room fell into silence as I focused on my newborn. Mark then excused himself to the restroom. I rubbed the child's nose and smiled nonstop. She was that lovely in my eyes. I didn't feel so lonely anymore with her arrival.

A ringtone came on and I was confident it wasn't mind. It turned out Mark left his cellphone on the table next to me. I reached over and answered it without checking the caller ID. I was quick to assume it was one of our friends or family members.

"Hello---"

"Mark, I miss you." A female voice confessed before I finished. "Why haven't you called me?"

I choked. She sounded like she was an admirer of Mark. Sure, a female friend could call and say she misses him, but her her tone was different. It sounded like a shrilling, heartaching confession only a lover would announce. She sounded neglected. She seemed upset. "I'm sorry, but Mark is not here right now. I can take a message for him."

"Oh-wait, you're not Mark." Obviously. "Who are you and where is Mark?" She sounded demanding and defensive all at once. I held the cellphone away a bit so that I wouldn't be speaking too loudly in front of baby Mercy who was now drifting into sleep.

"He's unable to take the call right now."

"Why do you have his phone?" She pressured.

I wasn't confident in saying this, but I managed. "I'm his wife."

Stillness. Quietness. Nothing. The line held on for 8 seconds and then the beep came on. She had hung up on me. Great, now I'm left wodnering if Mark has been seeing someone. I looked at the caller ID and it read, Becky. The number was one from out of the country and I knew it could only be Korea. I glanced at the name and number over and over until Mark came back. I set his phone down back in its place rather quickly.

"Did someone call?" He looked at his device.

"Yeah." From the corner of my eyes, I could see Mark check his phone.

"Did you answer?" His questions were persistent and so were my answers.

"I did."

"Why?"

"No particular reason. Your phone rang and I just answered."

"What did she say?"

"It's best you call back."

"Kate---"

I cut him short. "I suddenly feel exhausted. Can you lay Mercy in the crib? I'm going to nap." I didn't need him to question me. If anything, I was the one who should be asking him who the woman was, why she sounded so needy and in love, but then I remember, he told me to leave our marriage if I couldn't take it anymore. I even agreed that I would separate from him after the birth of our daughter. I shouldn't care. It shouldn't matter to me.

Mark huffed and slipped his cellphone into his pocket and took the sleeping child away from me. I turned over from him and forced myself to sleep. I didn't need to start assuming anything right after labor. I needed to recover from my c-section and I guess, my heartache as well. I wanted to be rejuvenated before any friend or family member came in to see Mercy and me.


Mark stepped out the door and left his wife to sleep. He snatched out his device and dialed Becky.

"Mark, I knew you'd call back."

"Becky, did you speak with my wife?" He was calm yet a sense of urgency was present. He wanted to make sure Becky didn't say anything to throw off his wife. Just because he was quiet and reserved around the woman, it didn't mean he was blind. He noticed that she had taken a liking to him throughout all the times he hung out with her. Not to fully blame her, he knew he was also wrong for semi-leading her on with his kindness and openness with certain personal issues.

"Oh yes, she sounds lovely."

Mark brushed aside her sweet voice, "Did something come up that's why you called?"

"Oh no, Mark. I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"I'm fine, Becky. Thank you for checking up on me."

She cleared , "I just miss you, Mark."

Time froze. The words he heard left him speechless. She sounded too honest and serious and he wasn't sure if he liked it or not. He twisted his head side to side, "I'll see you and the guys in a couple months." Mark knew that Becky wasn't even closely-knitted with s, but he added them into his sentence to reduce the awkwardness. With that, he said farewell and ended the call to head back into the room.


After being in the hospital for 3 days, I was happy to be back home. It was no longer as cold since this time I was back with an additional person in my life. Mark remained distant again, but not as much as before. He took care of Mercy from time to time and it was visibile that he also enjoyed her presence. I adjusted back into the home duties of a wife while balancing the duties of a mother.

I was in the kitchen wiping the counter just as my ringtone rang. I answered and it was Meng. I was quite astonished as how he retrieved my number, but he clarified he was no stalker. He actually came to the hospital to visit, but due to work and time restraint, he wasn't able to see Mercy or me. Instead, he met my parents in the waiting room and that was how he got my number.

"I just wanted to call and congratulate you and Mark on having the first child. Please relay my blessing to Mark as well." Meng's words were perfect in my ears. He was a true gentleman and I hope he'd find his love and put a ring on it soon. We spoke briefly and he also apologized about the little drama some days ago to which I told him to never mention it again or ever feel apologetic.

"Thanks for calling, Meng." Right as I ended the call, Mark made an entrance to the kitchen.

"I guess I can leave back to Korea soon. Meng seems to care about you so much he can look after you." His words sounded sarcastically brutal. He must've understood the phone call.

"Meng called to congratulate us," I rebuted peacefully. I looked over the counter to check that Mercy was still napping in her portable crib I placed in the living room.

"Are you trying to kill me with kindness or something?" Mark suddenly asked out of the blue. He trapped me against the counter, leaving both hands to block the sides. His chest was almost against my back. I carefully turned my head to the side and I felt his breath.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're playing as the victim and framing me as the culprit."

"I have no intentions to do such thing. I just don't want to argue with you over these things you believe are crimes."

"It's a crime that you talk to an old lover so comfortably when you're married." His voice inched closer and it was starting to send angry shivers down my spine.

I retorted, enunciating every word. "It seems you're caught in a crime then." I tried to not raise my voice. "Did you call Becky back and tell her you miss her also?" With that question, I faced him completely to show that I also had pride and that I had enough of him being so authoritative. We were face to face and my mind took me back to the short moment we had before the delivery of Mercy when he had kissed me. I wiped it out of my memory swiftly and chirped, "If this is some game you're playing, know that I too can be a player." Of course, I was only acting tough. I never planned to ruin any significant relationship of my own, specifically my marriage, but in this moment, I felt the need to hurt Mark. I wanted him to feel my pain. I wanted him to know I was not only capable of being harmed, but that I also can be just as cruel. What has he turned me into? A monster? I'm afraid so.

He still kept me locked against the counter, but his shoulders deflated a bit. His eyes lost themselves in hate and I could see that I've hurt his ego somehow and my organs were somewhat screaming victory, but my heart was crying out sadness that it has come to this.

Before I broke free from his capture, I added, "Don't forget, you're the one who told me to leave, so don't be so surprised if you suddenly find the house empty." I pushed his chest, but it was unsuccessful untilt he second try when he broke loose, giving me room to walk away. I halted in my steps and turned a coupel degrees to his back figure. "And I'll be taking my daughter with me, so return to your youth, Mark. Return to Korea. Return to Becky."

I knew my words were a bit contradicting now since just a couple days ago, I let him name our daughter, telling him he is the father and such things, but now reality was hitting me hard. If he was really seeing someone else as well as framing me as an unfaithful wife by misinterpretting Meng and I because he simply just wants to, I didn't need someone like that to hold down my happiness.

I can't believe I love someone like Mark Tuan.


 

A/N: Another short chapter! Sorry! I have finals coming up so I won't be updating until a week or so. See you all in the next update! :)