Are You Okay?

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

It's been two months and I don't look much different, but I've become tired easily. I feel so lazy that all I've been doing is eating and sleeping. The sluggish feeling leaves me exhausted, but Tammy has been encouraging me to go on walks to keep my health at a good balance. The ironic thing is that I am actually beginning to looke healthier because according to the doctor, I was adding on some good weight.

 

 

 

So, Tammy and her husband have concluded that my move-in will be permanent for the time being. Tammy persuaded that she's able to help guide me in this new experience because she's familiar with it. I'm thankful for such a supportive sister-in-law, but I really wished Mark was in the midst of  all this too. I'd feel even more secure if my husband knew what I was going through, but it can't happen. At least not yet.

"We're vide-chatting with Mark tonight after dinner." Tammy and I were setting up the table. She prepared some pho tonight. Our parents were coming over as well.

"Really? He's probably still busy." It's been a whole month since we kept in contact. It would feel awkward to face him again even though it's just going to be through a screen. That made me flashback to our days when we were friends and how we'd video-chat on Skype after I finished school. It was the norm back then, but now, Mark and I have gone a month without contact. I don't know how it was possible for me, but with his caring sibilings, I was able to grow numb to our marriage.

"I called him and told him today was family night and for him to clear his schedule if possible. He said we was open."

Tammy made t sound so easy to contact Mark whereas whenever I tried, there were always roadblocks.


"Why are you guys teaming up on me?! Becky and I are just good friends!" Mark was exasperated by s.

Jackson rolled his eyes, "Too good it seems."

"Shut it, Jackson. This doesn't even concern you, any of you." He pointed at the surrounding bodies.

"It does involve us because we care about your marriage." Yugyeom's remark was delivered in a quiet, low voice, loud enough to cause Mark to huff.

Jr tried to bring peace and looked at the other five who stood on his side, "Alright, let's just take Mark's word for it. He knows himself best." He then turned to Mark, "Just don't lie to us or yourself if you both become more. We love you and we love Kate, too. Don't mess up what's good for you."

BamBam and Youngjae looked at Jr, amazed. He had this aura to him that what ever he spoke, it was always so wise and well-said that no one could top his words after.

JB nodded, "What Jinyoung said is right. Trust us and do tell us if anything. We are always here to help and that's our goal as brothers, not just a group."

Mark still felt like he was one against six so he remained silent.

"Have you talked to sister-in-law though?" Youngjae asked.

Mark shook his head. He hasn't had the time to and even when he did, he had no passion to call. Partially, he didn't know what to talk about because there was not much to fill each other in. He visioned the talks to be boring and dull with no emotion because Kate wouldn't understand a thing about how hard it was to act a scene right or how a dance step had to be done. Nonetheless, he was far too familiar with LA that he rather guess Kate's day than ask her what she actually did.

"Well? Are you going to?" Jackson was giving the most attitude.

Mark ignored Jackson's presence, but answered the question for the rest to hear. "I have a family video-chat tonight so I'll prbably see her."

There seemed to be a huge sigh that united in the room. Everyone sounded relieved to hear that Mark was finally putting time in for his family.

 


Joey was the one who answered Mark's video call on Skype. Eventually, the whole family gathered around the laptop, but I remained behind everyone because I was nervous. As odd as it sounds, I was really nervous to videochat with my husband. To distract myself and not direct the family or Mark's attention to me, I quietly played with Kylie and Leila. Soon, I was lost into the mini play date and I did not realize that the family had split like the Red Sea and I was now in the center of attention. The laptop screen was no longered covered by the many bodies. I saw Mark clearly and he saw me. To avoid the stares, I got the two little girls to wave to uncle Mark. I've missed out on the whole conversation they had with Mark. My parents-in-law gave me soft smiles as if it was a sign that it was now my turn to personally talk to Mark. everyone vanished quickly into the second living room and the kitchen. I occupied the chair that Joey sat in earlier.

"Hi, Mark. How's your drama coming along?" I seemed to have asked a question that probably the others already asked because Mark's answer was an exhausted sigh. I cleared my throat, "How are the others doing?" This time I earned a silence, but he was still looking at me. Maybe it was also wrong to ask about the others and not him. So far, I'm the only one talking and I concluded it was better to talk to myself rather than Mark if he wasn't going to bother a reply. "Okay, well it's nice to somewhat see you. I'll end the videochat now. Have a good rest of the day." I was about to press the red button when I heard him mumble.

"Umm." I swear I would've ended the call if I didn't catch it.

"Hm?"

"You look different. Are you alright?" That was the first in the longest time that he asked about me.

"I'll be alright, Mark. Just look after yourself and do all that you have to do. Hurry home." My voice was dry and monotone.

My hurry home did not sound as desperate as I needed it to be, but inside that was all I wanted to tell Mark. I wanted him home. I wanted us to fix our relationship with each other because it's been uncomfortable lately. I wanted him home because he needs to know something.

"So then you're not alright." He caught on.

"I'm just a bit under the weather that's all."

"Okay," he said.

"Okay then," I replied.

We didn't seem to know how to end the short talk. One of us had to say bye sometime soon.

"So, uh....bye then." It took every part of me to end the conversation that I just wanted to keep going.

Mark sounded sentimental all of a sudden. "Don't say it like that."

We were only looking at each other through the screen, but I still found it unbearable to look at him directly. He was brave though because he looked like stone glancing at me. It appears as if he's having his own conversation in his own head.

"Okay, then I'll talk to you whenever," I reworded it.

"Can we just stay in the silence for awhile?"

I counted 30 seconds until I stated, "I don't like the silence."

"Why?"

"I have my reason..." My reason was because my heart felt like it was ready to burst. The quietness reminded me of how far Mark and I are and it cuts deeply somehow.

I could see Mark's jaw tighten and his eyes focused much more intently on me now. Something in my stomach twirled and for sure, it were not butterflies. I felt a string of vomit making its way out like all the previous times. I trembled realizing Mark was still streaming with me. He saw me with one of my hand over my chest and the other over my mouth. I couldn't even end the videochat before I ran in search of a nearby trash bin. The Tuan sibilings probably heard me because they ran into the living room and saw me hunched over the trash. Joey knew the drill and went towards the laptop and closed down the call, even though it was going to leave Mark confused for a bit. After doing so, he rushed over to his sisters who attended me. My parents-in-law knew of my condition too and they also followed in after. Not long after, Mark's father's cellphone rang.

"Hey, son." Pause. "Yeah.....everything's fine." Pause.  "Mhm." Pause. "I'm sure Joey didn't purposely mean to end your call." Pause.

He handed the cellphone over to Joey. I gave him a pleasing look that he does not fall into any of his older brother's trap and give anything away. I kew how tempted he was to spill the beans.

"Mark, bro. Sorry about that. I just didn't want you to worry so I acted out of an adrenaline rush." Joey looked at me who now sat on one of the sofa with a cup of water that my mother-in-law brought over.

"Let me ask her," Joey replied to one of Mark's request.

"Mark wants to talk to you, is that okay with you?"

I hesitantly nodded. Once the phone reached me, I apologized, "Sorry about earlier if it freaked you out."

"What is really going on, Kate?! That was not normal!"

"I told you I was under the weather, right? No big deal." I tried to soften him up reassuringly.

I took me awhile to persuade him that everything was under control. Even his own sibilings and parents had lied to him it was no big deal for my sake. I suddenly felt guilty for somewhat making his family turn against him on this little thing regarding me. After some more awkward pauses on te phone, we managed to say goodbye without an I miss you or an I love you.

 

 

 

"That was such a close one. He could've figured out it was worst than what we made it out to be." Grace wiped a fake sweat.

I glanced at all of them and I began to shed some tears. My mother-in-law took my hand into hers. "Daughter, why are you suddenly crying?"

"I'm so sorry that you guys are having to lie to Mark just for me. I'm so sorry."

With those words, I was embraced by her. She soothed my back just like my own mother would and shushed me. Everyone else seemed to be loking to the floor for answers. I knew they felt bad for Mark and for me.

My mother-in-law softly spoke, "So it's for sure?"

I wiped the remaning tears. "Yes, the doctor said it's positive since I'm entering my second month. I am really pregnant." I bawled even more.

 

My father-in-law chuckled with tears in his eyes. He appeared to be overjoyed with the news. "You mean I'm finally going to have a third grandchild for sure?"

I nodded. He embraced me as well. It was now confirmed that I was expecting and the whole family knew aside from Mark.

 

 

Author's Note: So this chapter answered all of your guys' questions of what was wrong with Kate! :D Sadly though, Mark and Kate haven't made up, so there's still that problem going on. Do you guys sense the awkwardness going on between them? Like ohhhmyyyygoosshhh, I am dying writing it LOL. XD P.S. Tuan family is so awesome both in real life and the fanfic. I seriouslt admire them so much! <3