Los Angeles, California

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

 

I'm not sure if any of you are confused, but I just want to clarify incase. This story is based off of Kate's perspective. When it shifts over to Mark's part like in the previous chapter, it's in third person. Hopefully, it's nothing complicated. Thanks! Now, read on! ^__^


 

Be very careful.

The words rang vibrantly in my ears.

 

Grace, Tammy and I had returned to Tammy's home after another the visit to the doctor's. Before I even made it through the door to settle down, Joey confronted me that Mark had called the other day, but he have forgotten to tell me. Inwardly, I was celebrating the fact that Mark hadn't forgotten about me. I've moved on from our madness the other day and I've been longing to tell him I missed him and that I was going to support him no matter where his career moves us to. Since he's been gone, Tammy asked for me to stay with her and her family until whenever I wanted to return to my own home or even until Mark came back. It was very considerate of her and her husband. They made sure I understood I was no burden. After thinking about my temporary move in with the Chungs, I concluded that maybe Mark tried calling home, but couldn't reach me; therefore, he his last resort was to call Joey. But why didn't he call my cellphone? Speaking of my cellphone, I searched my bag for it and trailed my way to the guest room to find it, but no luck. I couldn't have possibly forgotten it at home, right?

 

"Joey, may I use your phone to call Mark? I think I left my cellphone at home ever since."

He took a glance at his Rolex and assured me that Mark was probably still up. As I attached the phone to my ears, I separated myself from the family. I sat on the bed as I waited for Mark's voice to pick up the other end. I was so nervous. Butterflies were swirling as much as back when I firs discovered I had a crush on him. Maybe it's because I've been apart from him though it's only been a couple of days.

 

"What's up, Joey?"

It was really his voice. Suddenly I couldn't find my own.

"Hey, bro?"

I in some air, "Mark, hi. Um, it's me. Hey." I surprised myself with how awkward I sounded.

I think he felt the tense air too because he was quiet. I slapped my free hand over my lips. My voice was trembling and I didn't want him to hear that I was close to tears just from hearing his voice.

"Why haven't you answered any of my calls?" His voice was dry.

"I-I've been away from home and I also don't have my cellphone with me either. I'm staying with Tammy and her family for awhile."

"Why's that? We have our own home, don't we?" His tone was chilling for some reason, as if he had no feelings attached. "Mark, you know I'm sorry about the other day. I'm glad you made it safely though. We miss you."

"Oh, so you finally built a bridge. Good to know."

 

My heart did not know how to take in his words. It's as if he's mocking me indirectly pointing out my stupidity. I couldn't find anymore words to say. This was how I pictured our first conversation since the day he left to be. I imagined it much more calm and loving.

 

"Look, glad you returned my call after all my countless tries, but I'm busy. I have to film my drama in 20 minutes."

 

Drama? Did I miss him telling me this? I'm not mad about not knowing, but I felt bad that I'm a little late to celebrate his opportunity. "You-you've been casted for a drama?" I was proud of him.

 

"Maybe if you answered my calls, you would've played a part in knowing." His coldness was rubbing off again.

"Sorry, it's just I haven't-"

"-had the time to invest in caring about me or my career? I know." He added to my unfinished statement.

I had it with him. "Mark, where is this attitude coming from? Are you still mad at me or something?"

"Nowhere. I just don't have time to talk to you right now. Call me later. Maybe a couple days or weeks from now. I'm booked."

"Mark, I have to tell you -"

Click. He hung up on me. I didn't even try to check if he was still there because the silence clarified that very well. I felt tears pour into my open palms and I let out a quiet cry, afraid the others might here. I heard a knock on the door and I quickly wipped away the evidence and cleared my throat. I invited whoever was at the other end to come in. It was Grace.

"Hey, sorry to barge in, but I kind of heard you." She folded her hands into mine. "What happened? If you don't mind telling me, of course."

 

I bit my tongue to suppress my pain, "Mark's just busy, I guess and so he didn't sound too into the conversation. It was probably just a bad timing to call."

"So you didn't get to tell him about your health then."

I shook my head, "I don't want to tell him anything yet. He's too worked up about this new drama he's in."

"He's in a drama?"

"Apparently so. I just found out seconds ago too."

Grace huffed, "He's keeping too many secrets away from us. First it was his flight back to Korea and now it's about his drama?"

 

 

I think it's only fair to keep my own secret too.


 


I persuaded Tammy that I was going to be fine going out to the mall by myself. I was capable of driving and walking and if anything weird happens to my body; I assured her that I will  be surrounded by people for help. Lately, one if not all of the Tuan sibilings, have tagged along with me pratically everywhere I went to look out for anything abnormal. I feel regretful that they feel obligated to watch over me. Sure, I am not in my best condition when night falls, but other than that, I was able of all things. Kind of.

 

I roamed around from store to store, examing clothes that I normally had no taste for. Truthfully, I came out without company because everyone just made me think of Mark and I couldn't find the space to explore myself, to prepare myself for the next step in life. Regardless of how scared I was, I had to face a new change sometime soon. Changes are bound to happen and that means even if Mark is not around. Thinking of my husband, I tried to remember the last time we held each other sincerely, the last time we had a date, the last time we shared a kiss. It was to the point where I couldn't even recall anymore, which meant it has been too long. I wanted his simple touch even if it's just slipping his hands into mine.


 

It was 2 in the morning when I found myself feeling the walls of the hallway to the bathroom. I had the urge to vomit non-existing fluids and I was aware that it was too early to make any noise, but my throat couldn't sustain itself. As I got to the bathroom, I didn't bother to flick on the light. I went straight to the sink to turn on the faucet to rinse my mouth and face. My stomach didn't give up on the churning and I waited for the incoming spit that was working its way up my throat. This time a strange mixture of food coughed out. My head was also pounding its way to the corners of my temple. God, I felt like I was dying. The light , but I couldn't look away from the running water to see who. It was Joey who's also been spending the night over at Tammy's. He most likely heard me from the living room and rushed in.

Joey patted my back and kindly held back my hair for me. He looked terrified because he too did not no what was going on. He was a medical student though, so he carefully asked me if I would allow him to check my pulse and everything else that was considered basic for a medical student to know. He reached for my wrist and roughly calculated my heart rate. He began asking me if I remembered what ate since there was a possibility I had food poisoning. I shook my head that I didn't have anything I've neveer had before. He told me I looked a bit discolored and reccommended me to just rest the whole day.

"Joey, I think it's just the side effects from the medicine the doctor gave me."

"It can't be. Maybe its....." He gave me a signal with his eyebrows.

"The doctor did say it could be a possible symptom and that it's normal."

"I think that's it," He said. "Look, I think we should tell my brother about this. It's crucial to your health."

I held onto his forearm, "No, please. I beg you. Let's all just keep this to ourselves for now. Mark already has a lot going on for him. He's not in the mood to hear any of this."

Joey sighed, but his face still did not ease away from worry. I gave him a small smile and mouthed 'thank you'. He made sure I was in bed before he closed the door and went back to the living room to catch up on his own rest.

 

 


 

Author's Note: This is a rather short chapter, but next chapter will definitely be longer. I just thought an update about Kate would be nice, so here it is. More things are set to go down in Korea, so be ready. Kate might not be included much in the upcoming chapters, but don't forget about her! As for Mark, he's going to go through some pretty risky stuff. Beware! ;P  ~I love all the comments, so thank you for leaving something for me to read! I may or may not reply to them, but that doesn't mean I don't take notice because I do! <3