Going Back

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

Mark and I are sitting in our cozy living room, looking at our wedding album, honeymoon album, and travel album. We've already done so much the first two years into our marriage. I constantly tell him how unbelivable everything has come out to be. He says the same. As I  rest my head on his chest, cuddled up against him, he flips each page. The moments he recall, he would recite the memory to me. Back in middle school, I would have never thought we'd still remain within each other's sight. Now I get to see him everyday of my life and to me, that's a miracle I can not comprehend.

As each album was brought to a close, I heard Mark release a deep exhale. I shifted in his hold to make eye contact. I asked if he was okay. His fingers dragged themselves through my loose curls. It was calming. He stared into my gaze and he scrunched up his face as he pinched my cheeks like a baby.

I screeched, "Ow! Mark, what was that for?! It hurts!" I pouted and swatted his hands away from me. I scooted farther from him too, but he only came closer to sweep me into his arms once again.

"I'm sorry I couldn't resist. You were too cute that I somehow had the urge to." His laugh was so loud beside my ears. I continued pushing at him until he hugged me entirely. "I'm so glad we are back home. I'm so glad I get to experience the world with you. I love you so much."

I blushed, "I love you too. I always will. Maybe we should just live here in LA forever. Plus, this is where we started." I gleamed as we got up to stand by our window. Below was the rushing lights of LA and it was somewhat soothing to see it from afar. It was like getting to see Christmas, our favorite holiday, every night from our home.

I expected Mark to continue the conversation, but he was still. I looked at him and his eyes seemed lost into the scene ahead of us, but his mind didn't seem there. "Mark, what are you thinking about?"

He dodged my question to ask his own immediately, "You want to stay in LA forever?"

"Well yeah, why not? Our families and friends are here." I innocently implied.

"You don't think you want to ever go back to South Korea?" His hands loosened around my waist.

I shook my head, "I haven't thought of that. You never mentioned that option."

It appears that I've hit Mark somewhere because he became suggestive and defensive over the idea of Korea.

"But you know that I still have work there and you still haven't thought of maybe moving there if I wanted us to?"

I spoke honestly, "I thought maybe you felt the same way, that maybe LA is going to be home forever."

This time his hands lost contact with me. His face looked troubled as if I've offended him. We both weren't arguing, but it sure looked like we were going to soon.

"Kate, you can't just assume that we both are going to agree on everything," he softly said.

"Okay, well then let's talk about it if it bothers you so much." My tone and words came out wrong and it triggered Mark.

He breathed in and out slowly to keep his cool. He wasn't mad, but maybe annoyed would be a better word. His annoyance mirrored my own and we were both suddenly trapped into this state of a semi-argument.

"I want to make it easy for yourself and for me. I was thinking that we should move to Korea."

"But Mark, I don't want to raise a family there. I want to raise a family here so our kids can have a close connection to our families and our friends' kids."

"We don't have to worry about that yet, Kate. We can still come back whenever if we decide to have a family after all." Mark argued back.

 

 

I was silent. I retraced the idea of how our sweet talk turned out like this. We were just cuddling and reminiscing  just minutes ago and now we are inches apart with our voices louder than before, our heart heavier than before.

"You don't think it's possible to permanently live here and you just commute back and forth?" I gently asked knowing that was too much, but I have my reason that I haven't told Mark.

He erupted, "Are you out of your mind?! We are married! How are we suppose to live apart like how we did back then?! You know very well that's not an easy thing! We will practically be living in two worlds, two different time frames, in two different countries! We won't be able to see one another as much!"

I bit my tongue because I knew ever word that left his mouth was pure truth. It would be hard and I have no confidence I'll be able to be so far apart. Judging from my weak state, he stepped closer to me and I get to feel his warmth and as soon as that warmth enclosed around me, I let my tears fall and my apology flow.

"I'm sorry, Mark. That was really dumb. You are right."

His heart was stilling beating fast as he was coming down from his rage. He didn't say sorry, which meant he acknowledged himself as right. I didn't mind because he was, but I would love to hear him say anything comforting right now yet he didn't. He was still, too still.

 

 

Mark whispered into my ears, "No, I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner." He swallowed. "Tomorrow I'm leaving back to Korea for work. It was a short notice from JYP. He wants to discuss our future plans now. I didn't want to say anything because I know you've been really happy since we've been back in LA. I didn't know how to just suddenly tell you that it's time to go back to Seoul."

My breathing nearly stopped and I pushed his chest for space. I looked at him with so much hurt. "You never told me this. Why didn't you just say something weeks or maybe months ago? Why the night before you leave, Mark?!"

"I know, I know. It's my fault." His voice was filled with the guilt I wanted him to feel.

"Then what about me?" I was mad with tears.

He bit his bottom lip. "Because I didn't discuss it with you, I personally decided to go alone first so I informed the company to only get one plane ticket."

"So you're just going to leave me here?!  You didn't even think of me?!" I yelled over him.

"It's because I thought of you that I decided to go alone!" He heaved again. "You're already going against the idea of moving to Korea so what's the big deal?! You should be happy I'm even letting you stay here!"

"Really, Mark?!" I breathed. "You just can't assume that we both are going to agree on everything!" Yes, I had used his own words against him. "We are married and we should be able to sacrifice certain things for the benefit of the other! Maybe if you would've told me this earlier, I wouldn't be so against you right now!"

"Well, here you have your wish. You should be happy I'm willing to commute back and forth." He said it bitterly.

"Surely, I'm not happy right now due to your selfishness!"

He got tired and threw his hands up in the air as a sign of defeat even though he knew full well he had won.

"Whether you like it or not, I'm leaving tomorrow morning at 5 and we can't change that. I won't be back until 9 months, so when you get over being mad about this situation, you can call me, email me or whatever."

 

With his last words, he went off to the bedroom and freshed up before bed. What I wanted to say before all of this didn't make it out and I guess I'll have to wait until our anger vanishes or even maybe 9 months until I get to see him again. This wasn't right. We shouldn't be mad at each other before he leaves for 9 months, but we were both too stubborn at the moment. I was regretful for being bias over LA, but this place is a big part of me and to suddenly leave, move away without knowing our return is just too risky to think about.

As I followed in after him and laid on the bed, it felt much colder than all the previous nights we spent together. Maybe this is what every married couple I've come in contact with warned me about. Maybe this was to make Mark and I stronger though surely right now, I feel like we both are at our weakest.


Morning came and Mark was gone. I probably was too tired to have heard or felt his presence leave. It's 10am, which meant 5 hours have already passed. I suddenly miss Mark. He is really going to be miles, hours, and even a day apart from me. That was all too mind-blowing to accept in my current state. I never got to tell him what I wanted to. All of a sudden, I feel like a sickness is crawling into my body. Missing Mark was only going to make this torturous.

 

 

Author's Note:  It's an intense chapter, right? Too soon? Just wait! This is only the beginning so hopefully it's keeping you all hooked for now! ;D What's going to happen now????? Uh oh. . .