Leaving

What Does Distance Really Mean? (Sequel 2)

It was late, almost midnight when I tossed and turned in bed. It has been an hour since I heard Mark leave through the front door. To where, I did not know. Maybe it's the perfect time to escape since he'll be gone for awhile. Maybe then if I leave with Mercy by midnight, it wouldn't be so hard because then I wouldn't see Mark and imagine him as the sweet, soft-spoken man I married. Thinking of my daughter,  I went over to her pink assembled crib to watch her. She appeared so peaceful and it made me second-think if leaving in the middle of the night was a smart idea. Not only that, where would I go? To go back to my home with my parents would be a shame. To go to Meng would only ruin his image of a single man. My friends were all too occuppied to bother as well.

I sat down in the rocking chair beside Mercy as I thought about all that needed to be done. If I was to separate from Mark, paperwork would have to be filled and I was in no mood to spare the time and do so. Plus, I wanted to easily and quietly vanish from him. I don't want him to ask of my whereabouts or have any follow-ups from anyone. I have no desire for the attention either of our families as well. As I thought through, I found myself packing up the room, which confirmed that my actions meant I have chosen to leave in the middle of the night. Even though I'm unsure of where exactly I was going, as long as I have money and my car, I'll be able to find some place.

Once I cleared my belongings, I went out to prepare the car. I brought Mercy out to the car first before I loaded our suitcases. The sun was still no where to be found, which meant it was the perfect timing to disappear. The darkness will hide away me and my child just like how I wished. I took one last glance at the home I will no longer call my own, allowing my eyes to trace the rooftop to the windows and edges. I pulled out of the drive way and stare at the rearview mirror until I made the turn out of the block headed towards the freeway. I dare not let my tears slip.


A night of drinking left Mark hungover. He found himself in his home, in his bed. There was a note left on the nightstand by some of his LA buddies, infrming him they had brought him home. As soon as he sat up, he felt his head spin causing him to wince. He shook his head side to side as he made his way out to the kitchen. The clock on the wall read 12:02pm and he wondered where Kate was. She was usually up by then or he'd at least hear the cry of his daughter. Mark made his way around, trying not to appear worried in search of his wife and child. He approached the room where they occuppied and found it just as empty as when Kate and he had moved in. There was no sign of life in the room. The walls were bare, the bed was nicely made, the closet was clean. There was no speck of dust. His heart began to pace at an irregular place and he ran into the middle of the space. twirling a couple times until it sank in him that he was alone. He wasn't just alone in the house, but in life. Mark fell to his knees in anger, punching the wooden floor with all his might. He was too furious to cry, so he screamed. When he realized he was being ridiculous, he sat on the edge of the bed, ruffling through his hair. He heard the push of the bedroom door and he looked up with bloodshot eyes from the previous night of drinking and crying at his miserable life, or so he felt. At the door stood his mother and father with Joey behind them.

"Son, are you alright? We came to visit the baby, but the door was unlocked so we let ourselves in." Mrs. Tuan walked towards he eldest son carefully.

"Are you the only one home?" His father asked as he looked around. Joey was silent because he knew well that his brother was left, that his sister-in-law had no intentions of showing up ever again.

*Flashback*

"Hey Joey, sorry to bother you at 4 in the morning, but I couldn't leave with Mercy without notifying a family member. I'd feel too guilty and the departure will feel too suffocating, so I thought you'd be best to tell."

"What is it? Is everything okay?" Joey's rusty, morning voice echoed.

"I'm leaving Mark and I'm taking Mercy with me. I just want to let you know that I'm starting a new life with Mercy, so please don't find us. We did not go missing, we just left. If anyone asks, act as if you don't know. Please, don't tell Mark or even mom and dad. No friends either. I want to leave quietly."

"But---"

"Please do not contact this number anymore. I'm canceling it soon. Thank you so much for all you've done, Joey."

No time was given for the younger Tuan to speak. The line went dead and to Joey, it felt like it was all just a dream.

Mark glared at the ground, "She left."

Mrs. Tuan hugged her son's arm. "Did you two argue? Are you sure? Is that what she said?"

He shrugged off his mother's contact, "I just know she did, okay?! Can't you see all her stuff are gone?!"

His father's brows furrowed. Mr. Tuan motioned for Joey to say something to console his older brother, but Joey showed no sign. "Aren't you going to say anything to your brother?"

Joey straightened up and leaned against the door frame and zoomed in his vision onto his brother, "Isn't it what you wanted? You wanted her to leave, didn't you?"

"Joseph." His father's stern voice bounced off the walls.

The younger brother shrugged as he tapped his heel against the floor, "I wouldn't doubt it if she really did leave." He looked back at Mark's stoned face. "Would you?"

Mark was calming down from his anger, but what his brother had said went too far, so he stood up and grabbed him by the collar. "Are you taking her side over me, your own brother?!"

"I'm not choosing sides." Joey calmly spoke as he pulled off Mark's hands. "You know if for yourself that you told her to leave, because I know Kate would never leave unless told by you." He walked away and left Mark huffing. His parents patted him before saying anything else.


"Hello, I would like to book a room for two weeks, please." I waited for the receptionist to process the payment and give me the card key.

I made a stop in Santa Ana, about 50 minutes down south from Arcadia, feeling confident this was far and random enough to reside in. I chose to check into the Hilton hotel until I found a rent somewhere nearby to start anew. It was not in the early morning and I was too tired to go out, so Mercy and I took a nap before waking up to see what the remaining hours of the day had instore.

 


A/N: This is far too short, but I'm waiting for a bigger spark of motivation to make the chapters longer, so please wait on me. I know I'm late, but Happy New Years! Thanks for still being here for my story! See you all in the next update! ^^