The Coming Out

The One You Never See Coming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After giving her the bag Jjong and Yura moved from to the living room. They were seated sideways on the couch facing each other. 

"There is something I want to tell you...'' Jjong swallowed, he was unsure how Yura would react to what he is going to tell her.

'' Huh? About the rumor?'' She asked, combing her fingers through her hair.

Jjong shook his head.

'' I am enlisting three months from now.''

Jjong didn't like how Yura slumped her shoulders  when she heard what he said. She was momentarily silent, obviously unexpecting the news. She stared at him, made a deep sigh and became contemplative.

The subject has come up a lot of times in their past conversations, but they always talk about it in passing. She knew this time will inevitably come, but she wasn't expecting it to be this soon. The way Jjong told her, his tone when he asked, had a hint of uncertainty. She felt how  hard it is for him to make the decision. It will only burden him if she'll fuss about it. She could almost feel the emptiness and void their impending separation will bring. But for Jjong's sake, she set aside her selfish needs, she knew her support of his decision will mean a lot to him.

'' This is something you need to do Oppa.'' 

'' I am sorry, I know this is sudden.'' 

'' Gwenchana.'' Yura sneaked to his side and grabbed his arms and put it around her. " It will be hard for me, but it will be harder for you.''

'' I just realized that I have to do it soon.''

'' I'll miss you, I am already missing you...'' Yura started to get emotional.

Jjong let out a deep sigh, almost getting emotional too, but he doesn't want the news to spoil their night, and he is not ready for her waterworks. He thought of a way to distract her...

''Let's make the most of our time together.'' Jjong said in a low voice. '' You can move in here tomorrow.''

Yura was flustered by what she heard and freed herself from Jjong's arms. She crossed her arms and tried to give him a fierce stare which turn into a smirk.

'' I was just joking.'' Jjong laughed grabbing Yura back. '' How about sleepovers?'' he whispered in her ears.

''Ahhhhhhhhhh...'' She stood up frustrated at how Jjong's could unbelievably be this suggestive. 

'' What's wrong with that?'' Jjong innocently asked.

'' Oppa stop it!'' Yura was stomping her feet. Jjong laughed at how she was whining like a kid.

Jjong's ploy worked.

'' What time are we gonna be at your parent's house?'' Yura tried to divert the conversation.

'' 7pm.''

Jjong's mom called him earlier asking him to come home to a dinner.  When she learned that he was with Yura his mom became excited and told him to take his girlfriend with him. His Omma said she misses Yura and she'll prepare her favorite beef BBQ. It doesn't really amaze him how his parents, especially how his mom approves of Yura. Her charms are just irresistible. 

'' It's already 6:15.''

'' I think I need to take a shower.'' Jjong stood up. When he walked past her he teasingly asked '' Would you like to join me in the shower?''

'' Yah! Hong Jong Hyun-ssi!'' she squealed.

 

Yura has lost count of the times she had been to Jjong's.  Jjong's mom is someone who had an aristocratic air of composure that if it was not of her ready warm and welcoming smile one might quick to judge her as intimidating. Jjong's father is just as what Jjong described him to her. Jjong was his father's spitting image. He is stoic, and he rarely smiles too, but he is a warm person underneath his exteriors. His parents both looked young, Jjong's good looks were evidently a result of good genes. Yura remembered how nervous she was when she meet them and how sad she felt when she thought at first that Jjong's father doesn't like her.

''We are home.'' Jjong announced as they step inside his parent's apartment.

His mother quickly went out of the kitchen to meet them.

''Annyeonghaseyo.''

'' Your father really wanted to see you both tonight.'' Jjong's mom smiled.'' I am warning you two,  this is not an ordinary dinner.''

'' Omma, don't you even miss me? You sound like you're going to feed us our last dinner.'' Jjong teased his mother.

''Of course we didn't miss you. You were all over the news for days.'' Jjong's mother's sassy comeback made Jjong and Yura red from laughing.

'' Aigoo, you shouldn't have bothered buying stuff.'' Jjong's mother good- naturedly scolded Yura when she saw his son carrying a basket of pears.

'' Anihyo, Ommonim. I haven't seen you for some time.''

'' Neh.'' Jjong's mother gestured them to her husband who was in the living room reading his newspaper.

'' Annyeonghaseyo.'' They greeted together Jjong's father.  

" So, you two are still together?'', was Jjong's father's unexpected reply. He sounded cold, he didn't even look up from what he's reading.

Yura froze, surprised by Jjong's father's blunt courtesy. Jjong, who noticed her reaction quickly grabbed her hand to calm her down.

'' Dangyunhajiyo.'' Jjong answered matter-of-factly.

''  Yeobo, I have prepared all the ingredients.'' Jjong's mother turned to his father who stood up and followed his wife in the kitchen.

'' Let's go to my room and check Haerongie,'' Jjong dragged Yura.

'' Shouldn't we help them...'' Yura hesitated.

'' No, no. We will take care of the dinner...'' Jjong's mother called out when she overheard Yura. '' I'll call you when it is ready.''

As soon as they entered his room Yura broached her worries to Jjong on his father's behavior.

'' Oppa, what is aboeji going to tell us? I think it is really serious.''

'' I don't know, don't get worked up about it.''

'' Is he mad at us?''

'' I don't think so...''

Jjong just keeps on petting Haerong who is extra playful, his dog is happy with their reunion. Yura tried to join in, but she just can't brush-off her worries.

'' Maybe I did something wrong...''

'' What would that be?''

'' I don't know.''

'' See?''

'' You won't understand how I feel.  He is your father, whatever you’ll  do he will let it pass, 'cause you are his son.''

'' Yeah. He is my father. So I know him better than you do, so stop being anxious.''

They were called for dinner. And it seemed to be really their last dinner. Jjong's mom seemed to prepare a lot of food, of course, there was the beef BBQ promised.

'' Your aboeji specially cooked this kimchi jjigae for you.'' Jjong's mother offered Yura the dish. '' He put in a lot of red pepper paste in it, 'cause he knew you like it spicy.''

'' Kamsahamnida.'' Yura thanked her aboeji, who just smiled back at her.

Jjong smiled at her meaningfully. ''See, he is not mad at you.''

The conversation over their dinner varied from Girl's Day's disbanding, to Jjong's Unnie's new work, and to Jjong's travel to Japan.

'' Don't you have plans of going public?'' Jjong's father pointedly asked Jjong.

'' We have talked about it...'' Jjong who wasn't expecting the question answered. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter