This is an Update: The Thorn

The One You Never See Coming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yura and Jjong's sudden engagement received mix reactions from their friends. Some were surprised and some were  not. Jjong had it easy while Yura had it hard.

 

It was hard for her since she can't freely tell it to her family at the moment. She told her closest cousin that she and Jjong has gotten back together, her cousin took the news nonchalantly and expressed apprehension about how her parents would react. How her cousin took the news made her more anxious about informing her parents.

 

Yura's parents affection to Jjong somehow wavered as her relationship with Jjong faltered. They used to about settling down, but lately, out of the blue, they convinced  her to quickly pursue her masters and even suggested for her to take it abroad.  She couldn't blame them, they only want the best for her, but they saw and knew how messed up she was when she and Jjong had their cool-off.

 

Two days after their getting back, Yura went into Sojin's place with Hyeri and Minah. Sojin's home is an American style abode, her dream house, located at one of Seoul's suburbs. Her home is their de facto meeting place whenever they need some  catch-ups and private celebrations.

 

Sojin already knows the news, being someone she looks up to like a sister and someone she trusts confidently, Sojin was the first person Yura called that night. But today she is going to break the wedding news with the other two. The four of them were gathered in Sojin's living room munching on food and consuming some concoctions, she was sitting beside Hyeri, while Minah and Sojin sat across them. It is rare for just the four of them to be together like this, this kind of meeting only happens when something urgent and important is to be talked and decided. 

 

'' What are we going to talk about Unnie?'' Hyeri asked with full.

 

'' No, this isn't about me.'' Sojin quickly clarified.

 

''Oh. I thought you were going to tell us you're pregnant. Yebin is growing up fast.'' Minah said as she played with the two-year old kid sittting on her lap. '' We've got to have a new baby.''

 

'' Well, maybe Yura could help us with that? I guess she can have one... soon.'' Sojin suggestively announced.

 

Hyeri and Minah both had confused looks on their faces.

 

'' No, I am not pregnant.'' Yura quickly dispelled the confusion. '' Oppa and I, as you know, just got back.'' 

 

Minah and Hyeri nodded as confirmation.

 

'' And we are...'' Yura played with her glass, intentionally letting her words trail, indecisive of what to say next.

 

'' You are what?'' Hyeri and Minah impatiently asked in unison.

 

'' They are getting married.'' Sojin came to the rescue and matter-of-factly stated.

 

Hyeri and Minah exchanged looks, sighed and looked away. The four of them can't seem to look each other in the eyes. If there would be persons who know  the ups and downs of their relationship, it will be the three of them. She expected this reaction from them. It was very different from the ecstatic reaction they had when Sojin made her marriage announcement. Her engagement is a not-so good surprise. She knew that this news won't be instantly welcomed warmly, but she also knows that eventually they will accept and support her decision.The silence was broken when Yebin reached out for her mother to take her.

 

'' I actually know you two, will eventually get back.'' Hyeri retreatingly said.

 

 '' Me, too. But not this soon.'' Minah shared her sentiments. " I thought it would take a while...''

 

'' You guys really can't be kept apart don't you? How can you be that forgiving Unnie?'' Although she knows Yura through and through, Hyeri could not help but ask.

 

 Yura answered truthfully. '' He sincerely felt sorry for what happened. He apologized. I love him. I can never imagine myself being with another man... And I am almost 28, and he is in his 30's.''

 

'' They have been through a lot. Although they seem to rush things out, I guess there is no reason for them to wait longer to settle down either." Sojin shifted her gaze to Yura  " I just hope that whatever you two has  has gone through made you surer of each other. Let us wish them well. I am sure they will make it work for keeps.''

 

The other two seem to be unusually in deep thoughts, as if considering what Sojin has just said.

 

'' You know him. I promise, I have thought this over.'' Yura to reassured her friends.

 

Hyeri shrugged and Minah nodded.

 

'' Congratulations Unnie.'' Minah stood up and  hugged her. '' I wish you all the happiness.''

 

Hyeri sighed, '' Although I am quite disappointed with the amount of pride you have and your inability to play hard to get,  I am still happy to hear it Unnie. 'Cause deep in my heart, I believe in the two of you. I am not saying this because he is my boyfriend's close friend, I am saying this as a person who witnessed how your relationship blossomed.''

 

''  Aha!'' Minah exclaimed, and startled her Unnies. '' I think, I know why they are rushing. '' Minah's eyes were almost gone as she smiled, amused with her sudden thought. ''They no longer can hold it.''

 

''Hold what?'' Sojin asked as she wiped off the cookie crumbs from her daughter's mouth.

 

Minah pointed Yebin.

 

 Sojin kissed her daughter's cheek and cooed "Ahhh. Yebin-ah, Yura Auntie wants a cute baby like you." Yebin giggled liking whatever her mother is doing.

 

 

Hyeri and Minah laughed hard. Yura blushed a bit guilty of what was said.

 

" They are doing a lot of practice, I bet!" Hyeri foxily exclaimed.

 

'' Hyeri-yah!'' Yura hit Hyeri's arm.'' He can only taste the milk after buying the cow." Yura glared.

 

'' Ommo, so you too hadn't actually do it?'' Hyeri asked mischievously.

 

'' Of------- course.'' Yura surprisingly was unsure.

 

'' Whoaaa. Chincha. Look, how she hesitated.'' Minah pointed her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter