The Time Off

The One You Never See Coming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The incident that happened the night at Jjong's pad was one of the turning points in their relationship. Not wanting a similar incident to happen again, the two of them have refrained from any kind of intimate physical contact even when they are alone together, both avoiding frustrating each other. Avoiding intimacy is hard and they tried to act normal as if it is nothing wrong. The changes between the two became gradually undeniable. Jjong became more solemn and Yura was no longer as cheerful as she is.  Their conversations were no longer as spontaneous as before that most of them are filled with awkward silence. Both of them knew it, and both of them are thinking hard what to do about it. Jjong's hectic schedule and Yura's commitments and school work only made it impossible for them to reconnect the weakening bond and rekindle the warmth they have for each other. They don't even call each other that much since phone calls are also becoming awkward and uncomfortable.

No matter how entwined by love two persons are when they grow up they also grow apart. The Jjong Yura knew before enlistment is no longer the same Jjong now. And the Yura Jjong left for enlistment is no longer the same Yura now. Time changes. It also changes a person. But does it change a person's feeling? Yes and no. Yes, if you let it. No, if you wouldn't.

Did Jjong and Yura let time change their feelings?

 

***

 

Yura became excited when she learned her parent’s are coming to Seoul,  but there is one thing that she is worried about. Her parent's wanted to see Jjong. With their current situation, she silently prayed that he would have a schedule that day so her parent's need not to see him. She was disappointed when he accepted her invitation. Her parent's are very perceptive, she was afraid that they'll notice how distant to each other they have become. She doesn't want them to worry, and she doesn't want to explain to them why things are happening. 

The dinner with her parents happened. Jjong was awkward the whole night. It was like he was meeting Yura's parents for the first time. He can barely join the conversation. Yura would touched him from time to time to give him assurance and sometimes as a prompt for him to join in or give a response. But he just can't keep up. Their energy was just too much for him at the time.

Yura almost can't keep herself together during the dinner. Jean was absolutely somewhere, but not with her and her parents. It was like he was just a sitting robot beside her. The bad thing is she knew her parents aren't oblivious of how Jjong was acting. They noticed it, but they were decent enough to act like it doesn't matter.

The moment Yura's parent got on the taxi Yura pounced at Jjong.

'' We need to talk.'' 

Jjong just nodded coldly.

They were silent as he drove her car to his pad. His place was the best option to talk things over, they could have the privacy they needed.

They were awkwardly seated side by side on the couch,  far enough that a person can sit between them.

'' Is there something wrong?''

Jjong just shook his head.

'' Of course there is!''

'' If there is, why do have to ask?''

'' Why should you be so philosophical?''

'' Then why do you have to ask it?''

Their voices were raised that Haerong who was sleeping in his pen was woken up.

'' You changed.'' Yura got straight to the point.

'' I have been living a different life for two years. You can't expect to go back to the person I have been that instantly.'' He sounded like what Yura said was the most ridiculous thing he ever heard.

'' You never will because you are not even trying.'' She accused him.

'' Don't just assume things.'' He stood up trying to control his emotions.

''I am not assuming. The last time when we are with my friends, you were just drinking in the corner, you didn't even seem interested in joining the conversation, no matter how hard they try to engage you. Tonight I am embarrassed in front of my parents. You are an actor you could have just acted like you are glad that you saw them, you could have just acted like you were actually listening to them.''

'' Why do you suddenly mind this now? Why the fuss?'' Jjong reddened.

Yura was exasperated. '' Of course I mind. You were humiliating me.''

'' You know what this is not all my fault. Did you even bother to ask me if it was okay with me to see your friends? You didn't, right? I wasn't expecting to meet a bunch of college students who would spend the entire night talking about sculptures and paintings.''

'' If you can't play nice with my friends you could have tried at least to my parents. To tell you honestly, they had been telling me this past few months that I could do better with another guy. What would they think of you now?''

Jjong was shocked at what Yura said. Had their problems really got so serious Yura's parents started to disapprove of him?

'' We need some time off.''

'' Time off?'' Yura was confused.

'' We both know that things are not like how it used to be between us. And don't act like it just me who changed. Don't tell me you're coming to my place and introducing me to your new friends wasn't something you just feel obligated to do. I felt left out. It was like you have carried on well when I was away. I no longer know where I stand, I don't know if you still need me.'' He looked at her sadly.

But he suddenly changed his expression. '' We need that for you to do better.'' He was sarcastic.

Yura's confusion now turned to irritation. She didn't like his tone.

'' Yeah. Let us have some time off. I'll give you a time off.'' She faked her confidence. ''Let us give each other two months. Then let's see if we should continue this and pick up where we left. Or stop this... and move on.'' She spoke with conviction.

'' Okay.'' Jjong said and made his way to the kitchen got cold water to clear his throat dryness.

'' I am going home.'' Yura told him as when he went back to her.

Yura got up and Jjong sat down.

She walked to the door with heavy footsteps. What just happened was unexpected.  She silently wished that he would stop her and beg for forgiveness. But he didn’t. She hated herself for having such wish. She felt like, what they have decided together that day was something she would regret later on...

As Jjong watched Yura walked out his door the gravity of what he suggested earlier slowly sank in. Although he had felt a release with their confrontation there was a nagging fear slowly gnawing at him, but he can’t deny that his pride was hurt. The decision to have a cool off was made out of impulse. And Yura agreeing to it made him feel worse... He wants to take what he said back, but it is too late.

What if after two months Yura will decide to stop the relationship? Would it do good for him? Would it do good to her? Will this really be there end? Is this really what he wanted.

He felt he needed some comfort, then Haerong walked to him. He picked him up.

‘’ Haerong-ah... don’t tell anyone if you’ll see me cry.’’

***

Yura cried on her drive home. She  even had to pull over to cry, her vision becoming unclear, misty with the tears b in her eyes. She was hurt. She thought that she and Jjong will be able to talk it over and fix thing, she didn't think that he would actually initiate a cool off. Had things really changed that much for him to make that decision? Had he been thinking about it? 

Jjong became busy with filming his series and with various photo shoots. He spent his breaks mainly with his friends and his drama co-stars. He hadn't seen or contacted Yura for almost a month. He was ashamed of himself that he didn’t  dare to contact her.  He made use of his emotional turmoil in his acting, especially in doing heavy scenes. And he finds it therapeutic, the things he had a hard time expressing in reality were channeled to artistry.

Yura poured all her time with her studies. Trying hard not get consumed by the sadness and missing Jjong. She puts a lot of effort more into her projects. She became a detail maniac as she does her projects. She was making herself so busy that her friends had to drag her literally out of the school to spend time with her.

Today it is Minah who picked her up from school.

'' Unnie I know it is hard, but what you are doing is unhealthy.'' Minah gently told her as she sipped her frap.

'' You guys are overreacting.  I am okay. Really. We got two months to figure things out.''

'' Unnie, you know I care much about you right? I want to tell you this not because I want to ruin Oppa or something. I know you still love him very much... but..'' 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter