The One You Never See Coming

The One You Never See Coming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jjong drove home a little bit late than usual. He was tied with a client who took time in deciding what motorcycle to purchase. It has been months and his second branch's sales increased after acquiring an exclusive dealership from a top brand. His father-in-law's connections really did help him. Recalling all he had been through months ago made him take a deep sigh. 

 

A smile crept on his face when he was about to enter his home. He wanted to tell his wife about the good news and was expecting a good dinner. Yura's cooking chops have improved greatly since they got married and she always made sure to make him a decent dinner. She has learned to make a variety of dishes thankfully, or it would have been spicy braised chicken forever.

 

The living room was dark when he entered, the only light was that of the lamp beside the couch. He saw his wife sprawled on the couch, she stirred when she sensed him. She didn't even get up and murmured her greetings.

 

Jjong sat on the couch moving her legs and putting them over his lap and playfully massaged them.

 

She smiled. "I like that. That really feels good."

 

" What do we have for dinner."

 

" Nothing."

 

" Kojitmal."

 

"Chincha."

 

" Wae? You don't have a late class today. What is my wife doing since getting home?"

 

" I just lazed here. I don't even want to move. I feel so tired."

 

" Is uni that hard? I never thought chatterboxes get tired, chatter is all you do there."

 

" Anniya. Since our graduation is near we have to work hard on our final project. I never thought painting would ever make me feel dizzy. I almost brought myself to the clinic."

 

" Gwenchana?''

 

'' I think so.''  Yura slowly got up. " Can we just order?''

 

''Sure. I'll make the call?'' Jjong took his phone from his pockets.

 

'' Please order cucumber kimchi if they have it.''

 

'' Cucumber kimchi?''

 

'' Eung.''

 

She was still inexplicably exhausted and her heavy dinner only made her drowsy. As a wife for almost two years, she knows just when her husband  is in the mood doing it. And tonight she knows that he is in the mood. His naughty teasing while she was doing dishes earlier is surely a prelude to that.

 

She laid on the bed as Jjong took his shower. She sighed, this would be one of those rare nights that making love was more of an obligation. She unavoidably thought of  making up excuses to deny him of his '' human rights'' this night. 

 

Jjong only had a towel wrapped around his waist when he went out of the bathroom . He  didn't bother to go to the dresser and clothe himself, but instead switched off some lights and went straight  to bed.

 

Yura groaned as she felt his weight above her, but before she can utter anything  his lips were already next to hers. He removed the blanket covering her while  his hands roamed under her shirt.

 

She can feel how his skin was still cold and can smell his lotion, and even smell a hint of his aftershave. The repulsive smell of his aftershave was suddenly unbearable for her  to the point  that she pushed him away slowly yet he didn't stop. She stopped kissing him back to send the  message.

 

He stopped. And swallowed hard. 

 

 Yura quipped '' Your aftershave.'' He didn't need to voice it out what he wanted to ask. '"Can you wash it off again, I think you haven't washed them off properly.''

 

Without a word he got up and went to the bathroom. He was pissed off, and he showed it by slamming the door. He had been using his aftershave for years, it is unbelievable that she would only complain about its smell now. He washed his face, but he knew he could no longer do it. His buzz was  killed.

 

Yura  bit her lips when he slammed the door, she felt a bit guilty, but heaven knows how he reeks with his aftershave. How did I manage to bear that smell before? She thought. She tried to wait for him, but her eyelids are heavier than her guilt.

 

''She must have been so tired and can't refuse bluntly and tried to to use the aftershave's smell as an excuse'' , Jjong tried to rationalize his wife's actions. He was now dressed in his boxers and shirt and crawled next to her. He lay on his back, staring at the ceiling.  She moved and turned to him and snuggled close, she wrapped her arm around him and murmured sleepily, '' Mianhae.'' It was all she has to soothe his fury induced by the ungranted access to his husbandly rights.

 

He didn't doze off right away, realizing how this was the first time she refused him. Not a blunt but an indirect refusal. She usually denies him when she has her period, but she was never tired enough to totally refuse it before. She would usually complain at first; reasoning out that she is tired or too sleepy, but she always does it while already taking her or his clothes off. Her actions always betraying her words. He smiled, amused with his realization. He peeked at her and wondered how she slept easily now when some nights she bugged him to rub her back or play with her hair to lull her to sleep. 

 

The following morning he made her breakfast to make amends of the petty matter that happened the night before, and somehow trying his luck.

 

He tried his best and expected her to be pleased. But she unexpectedly made a fuss, not on his smell this time, but on the egg he cooked--- because for her  it is too gooey.

 

He felt insulted and he was hurt. He thought she would appreciate his little effort, but she was pouting and getting irritated just because of the egg. He felt like he was a good for nothing husband all of a sudden. Without saying anything he walked out on her and drove to his parents home.

 

***

 

Jjong's mother was surprised when he showed on the doorstep. She asked what brought him home, and he lied and said he was just dropping by.

 

" Your wife was here two days ago. We were talking on Kakao, I told her I cooked seafood jigae for lunch and asked her if she wants to have lunch with us. She came over, I didn't know when she started liking cucumber kimchi, but she  ate a lot. Your father offered her other side dishes 'cause we know she doesn't like cucumbers, but she said she likes it.'' His mom served more rice in his bowl and he continued eating.'' After eating, she suddenly said she was sleepy and asked if she could sleep in  for some minutes... " Jjong's mother seems to think hard about how to proceed with her story.

 

" I'll remind my wife to help you out in the kitchen---"

 

He wasn't able to finish his words when his mom hit his arm.

 

" It is not about that..." His mom earnestly shook her head, " Have you noticed any changes from her?"

 

He just nodded. Uncomfortable about having this kind of talk with his mother and nervous of what he is going to find out.

 

" She slept soundly, your father didn't want me to wake her up... She was sleeping like she was exhausted and she suddenly started to like a certain food. Then I remembered how I was like that when I was pregnant with you. But, maybe I am just getting ahead of myself...''

 

Jjong swallowed his food. What his mother is implying didn't cross his mind. Her mood swings. Her sudden dislike of his after shave's smell.  The craving for cucumber kimchi.  Her sleepiness all points to it. 

 

" You know how much we want you two to have a child, it is not that we are burdening you with it... But, why don't you guys have some check up?''

 

Jjong's mind floated as he drove home. How could it happen this soon? It just over a month he stopped using protection. He suddenly felt bad for walking out on her this morning. He could have tried to be more patient with her had he somehow suspected she is pregnant, but her mood this morning hit him like a whiplash.

 

When he arrived home, she was nowhere. He wanted to call her, but decided not to. He decided to go to work and made a side-trip to the bookstore.

 

***

 

The four of them were holed up at Hyeri's place. Sojin even brought Yebin along, a sudden meeting came up. One of them was in some dire situation.

 

Hyeri looked at Minah  dubiously, ''Why are you suddenly being like this?''

 

'' I am just feeling down.'' Minah retorted.

 

" What are you Soo Hyuk Oppa going through?''

 

'' It is not about him."'

 

'' This is about him.'' Sojin joined in, sounding so sure.

 

'' What is really going on between the two of you?'' Yura bluntly asked and skipped the chase.

 

Minah sighed." I don't know.''

 

'' You don't know?'' Hyeri furrowed her brows.

 

Minah casted her eyes down, '' I am stressed because I don't know.'' She looked at her friends, whose genuine concern was written all over their faces '' Two years ago we started to see each other with mutual romantic interest. You knew it right?'' The three just nodded. She continued, "' When I was about  to gamble my feelings, he suddenly stopped calling me, he didn't even text me for two months. And then... during Yura Unnie's wedding it was like I wasn't even there, he was avoiding me. I thought I had moved on during these two years. But two months ago, he suddenly showed on my doorstep late at night. I thought at first it was just a one-off incident, but he started to pick me up from work, we go to dinners. We talked on the phone late...''

 

 Sojin who seems busy fixing Yebin's hair stopped, '' These things are leading you to feel that he has renewed interest in you, any woman would feel that.''  She went on with what she is doing and drop her bomb '' How about you? Do you still like him?''

 

'' I like him more now.'' Minah retreatingly leaned back in the chair and stared into the ceiling.

 

Hyeri furtively looked at Yura and she quickly caught on,  '' I guess that figures why my husband has been bugging me about you lately. Soo Hyuk could have asked him some favor.''

 

Here positively added,'' Well, it seems that he made an effort. There is no reason to get mopey.''

 

'' He hasn't called for days now. But he texted though, just those perfunctory messages. I am falling hard now and I am scared if he will shadow fade again. My promotion is coming up and after wrapping up we made plans to spend time together somewhere...'' 

 

Yebin who was their little audience slowly slid out from her mother's lap and came near Minah curious if she is crying.'' Gwenchanayo?'' She asked Minah. Minah answered with a nod and hugged the little girl ." Of course Yebin-ah! You just made me feel better by asking...''  

 

'' Maybe you are just getting too paranoid. Just don't stress it out too much, you have your album to promote. Just focus on that now.'' Sojin reminded Minah.

 

'' Soo Hyuk is just busy. Really. I am not saying this cause he is my husband's friend.'' Yura assured her.

 

'' Yeah. Sung Jun Oppa said the same thing too.'' Hyeri chimed in too.

 

 Yebin went back to Sojin and raised her blouse's hem. Sojin acceded knowing just what her daughter wants, she expertly unhooked her bra and Yebin readily positioned herself between her thighs and started her to the awe of their company.

 

'' For how long are you going to feed Yebin this way?'' Hyeri asked.

 

  ''As long as she wants.'' Sojin answered without second thoughts, like feeding a four year kid is just a norm.

 

'' I think I won't even feed my baby.''

 

''Wae?''

 

'' Just...''

 

 '' Pfft.'' Yura rolled her eyes at Hyeri." You don't even have a in the first place. Does Sung Joon know you love wearing push ups?''

 

'' This woman! He loves it the way it is!'' Hyeri passionately defended while smacking her chest.

 

''If it weren't for those reliable, transparent bra straps I bet you can never wear tube tops or your bras will be going down your belly."

 

Minah laughed mockingly at their banter.

 

'' Why are you like this? You are suddenly ing on everybody.''

 

'' They fought.'' Sojin all-too-knowingly said. She knew since Yura immediately called her when her husband walked out.

 

'' Anniya. I just pissed him off. He walked out.''

 

''What did you do this time?'' Hyeri asked Yura in a scolding tone.

 

'' Last night he really wanted to do it, but his after shave really reeks. I told him to wash it off again, and he got pissed. And this morning he fried eggs. But it was too gooey... So I kind of complained.''

 

" You are acting like some PMSing or an expecting woman."

 

'' I am not PMSing, I haven't even had my period...'' Her words trailed as a thought hit her --- she was supposed to have her period two weeks ago.

 

'' Ommo, ommo!'' Hyeri and Minah exclaimed altogether.

 

.'' Are you guys still on birth control?'' Sojin calmly asked.

 

'' I think he stopped using any since Hyeri's engagement."

 

'' You guys were too selfish to miss my marriage announcement just to have . You could do it anytime, but I only get to announce it once.'' Hyeri begrudgingly said.

 

'' Don't fight about that now. Hyeri, give us some of your PT kits.'' Sojin commanded.

 

'' I don't have any.''

 

'' Don't lie.''

 

'' Arasso.''

 

'' Why does she have them?'' Minah askedin shock  ''Waahhhhh. I guess among the four of us, I am the only one not getting any.''

 

'' You're living such a sad life.'' Yura tried to annoy Minah.

 

Hyeri returned and waved a box, '' I only have one left.'' 

 

'' If you aren't getting married, I just don't know what I have done to you.'' Sojin motioned on hitting Hyeri with a throw pillow.

 

Yura took the PT kit from Hyeri.'' Whooooaaaa. Chincha. Is this really happening? Ottoke?'' She pleadingly looked at her friends one by one. Her instincts are telling her that she is indeed carrying a life in her womb. She touched her belly, and felt a unique kind of excitement.

 

''Unnie. We got to use the kit. What if you just skip a period? All your drama will be put to waste.'' Hyeri tried to prick on Yura's bubble.

 

'' You have to pee on it, right?'' Minah queried.

 

'' You don't really pee on it, you just put a drop of your pee on it.'' Hyeri corrected condescendingly.

 

" I am basically saying the same thing. Yeah. Yeah. I am stupid. And. Inexperienced.'' Minah yielded.

 

Yura went to the bathroom and tried the kit. She held the kit close to her chest before looking at the indicator and saw how two purple lines slowly appeared. She wanted to tell Jjjong right away, she had been thinking about him the entire time.

 

She called him and he answered on the third ring.

 

'' Yes...'' He weakly answered.

 

She was silent, lost for words to say.

 

'' Wae?'' Jjong sounded concerned.

 

'' Will you be having dinner at home?'' She managed to utter.

 

'' Are you going to cook?''

 

''Nae.''

 

'' Arasso. I'll be home early. Are you okay?''

 

'' Nae. I just want to tell you something later... See you.''

 

'' Yeah.''

 

 Her friends' eyes were all at her when she went out of the bathroom.

 

''  And..." the three of them asked in chorus.

 

She just nodded.

 

Hyeri jumped from her seat and hugged her. Minah squealed and Sojin just smiled silently pleased with the news.

 

***

 

Jjong went home early, keeping his promise to his wife. He was expecting her to tell him ''something'' over dinner, but she was just asking him stuff about their business.

 

He lounged in the living room since the night was still early. He heard the bedroom door creak and saw his wife came out. 

 

He swallowed hard. She is up to something.

 

She was wearing a silk robe from the lingerie set he bought for her on their second anniversary. He could vividly remember how she looked wearing that mesh and silk combo underneath that robe, and his thoughts were beginning to make him feel uncomfortable. His eyes unknowingly followed her as she sat beside him. He saw her smile complacently. 

 

She combed her damp hair with her fingers and faced him, '' I was with Minah, Hyeri and Sojin Unnie earlier. We just did some catching up. Yebin has grown soooooo big though, she is no longer a baby... We were talking when will get to have a new one...''  She moved closer to him '' It is fuuuuun having some babies around, right?'' She excitedly asked him, shaking his arms, but Jjong just gave a shrug as a response. Her shoulders drooped seeing Jjong's passive reaction. '' Babies are blessings.'' She continued. But Jjong continued to pretend uninterested despite his growing certainty on her being pregnant.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter