Between the Line

Wait for me

Author’s POV

“Soohyun-ah, table 4 is calling.” Soohyun’s mom call out from the kitchen

“Nae.” Soohyun just sign and walk toward the table. She received a call from her mom right away after she finished her work in the hospital. 

“How may I help you?” She asks as she takes out her pen, and looks at the customers. “2 order of samgyulpsal, 2 cold noodle, 1 order of marinated pork.” Soohyun repeated again the order of the customers then smile and prepare to make her way to the kitchen.

“Heol, they should have kick him out of the show. He being disrespect to us women.” The young girl say as she shows her boyfriend the news. “You mean Song Mino.” The guy asks and the young girl just nod. “He comes from a big company and still acting like some unprofessional artist. Look at this, he still has the courage to be on the competition.” She continued as her boyfriend just agree with the statement.

Soohyun confuses as she looks at the customers. There is only one Song Mino that joint the show, it much be him. She thought.

“Soohyun, are you ok?” Someone tap her shoulder. She just nod and turn around, she saw Chanhyuk looks at her. From the last incident that happen, he been very nice to her. “Give me the order.” He takes the order form my hand. “Oppa.” Soohyun call out and her brother turns around, she hesitates then say. “Thank you.”

How could she not know this? She should have look him up to know what happen. All she know is he doing very well on the competition. 

“He is doing fine, don’t worry. He just has his first mission with his team and prepare for the second one.” Soohyun looks at the person who just speak. “You know about this?” She ask

“I’m his fan.” Chanhyuk just smiles and pat Soohyun’s head.

“Yah, the customers are waiting, stop day dreaming.” Their mom yelled from the kitchen.

“She is, not me.” Chanhyuk points at Soohyun and run away which cause Soohyun to smile a bit and get back to work.

After the long hours of working in the restaurant, the Lee’s family finally get to rest. Soohyun walks straight to her room and open her laptop. She searches for his name right away, many criticisms are delivery directly to him, he apology and they still criticize. Sometime, K-nets are crazy, who is Blacknut? she thoughts. Should she asks him If he still doing fine? But it would not be fair with Jinhwan. Since she promises herself to not speak to both of them. 

“He coming.” Chanhyuk say as he knocks on the door and walks in Soohyun’s room.

“Who?” She ask in confuses.

We both walk down to the restaurant since our house is up stair and the restaurant is down stair.

“Hurry up and help me prepare the table.” Mrs. Lee pushes her children down the stair.

“Hey.” Jinhwan says

“Hey.” Soohyun says and turn her head toward the kitchen.

Chanhyuk and the IKON’s boy are greeting each other, while Soohyun just remain quiet and help her mom. After finishing the table and food, Soohyun just head up stair.

“You are not eating with us.” Donghyuk ask which cause everyone to stare at Soohyun.

“I’m a little tired, beside I have early shift in the morning.” Soohyun answer and continued to walk upstair. She takes a quick shower and lay on her bed. She never thought her relationship with Jinhwan will turn this way and same with Mino. She lost her first love and her friend. 

DING DING

Soohyun reaches out to for her phone.

“It been a long time.”

        From Dinosaur

“You don't have to answer.”

“Just listen to my story.” 

“The weather is weird lately. Don't catch a cold. Don't walk in the night by yourself. Call Chanhyuk to pick you up.”

        From Dinosaur

“You’re also disappointed right?”

“Soohyun-ah.”

“Sleep well, will you? I miss you.”

        From Dinosaur

Soohyun sit up from her bed, she doesn't know whether she should reply to him, or at least cheer him up.

 

And from the other side of Seoul, in a small building and a dark room,  a boy sits on his bed look at his texts, he signs as he thinking about her, her small figure running across the street, her smile.

 

DING DING 

 

From Bear

He looks at the phone, he opens it but no words are include in the text, instead it was….

Sleep well tonight, my dear

Lay down the burden on your shoulders

It’s nothing but my gift to you

Is only this song

Sleep well tonight, my love

As you are tightly held in my arms

I pray that I can protect your pretty smile

Good night, my love

        Lullaby by Rocoberry and Onew.

 

Her voice sounded through the room, through his heart and it only her voice embraces him in this long lost road. He smiles but not like he was pretending, a real one, a true smile. In her room, Soohyun still remain quiet, she stared at her phone. He doesn't text back, but she understand, he can finally sleep now.

 

“Soohyun-ah.” Soohyun looks up from the voice calling her name. She remember the sound of him, the way he called her name, so special that make she thought only him could call her that. But now they both change.

“Oppa sorry.” He continued to say and remain outside of her door.

“I have make a mistake, a big one. I can’t have you back anymore, right?” His voice is filled with sorrow. “What can I do to change this?” 

Soohyun walks toward her door and sit down. She signs and take a deep breath, two great men love her. But she doesn't deserve it, indeed she is a very selfish person. Soohyun always think like that. 

“Soohyun-ah, I like your name, I like the way you look at me, I like the way you react when I called your name. I like the thought of being next to you. I like you.” His words are fading as he continued. “But I also have feeling for her. She always there for me, we both lonely, she understand me. We shared our problem.”

Soohyun tears are fall down, she smiles bitterly, she thought she was a selfish, disloyal woman, but the true is that they are already broke up, he can have all his right to date another girl. She is not a victim, but he is also not the one who should be blame. 

On the next morning when Soohyun leaves for work Chanhyuk say that the boys were very drunk especially Jinhwan. Soohyun just smile and leaves, through her way walking to her work place she thought about what Jinhwan says. She suddenly feel very bad for that girl, she wonder if that girl know about this. The day continues and continues, she finishes her work and walk out the hospital.

“It raining.” She says as she remain outside of the building.

“Dr. Lee, do you need a drive?” One of Soohyun’s coworker ask. Soohyun just shakes her head and smile in return.

“Should I walk in the rain?” Soohyun thought to herself, but then she takes it back. “I might be sick tomorrow.” 

“Dr. Lee.” A nurse rushing to Soohyun. “There is an accident, we need your help.”

Without thinking Soohyun and the nurse rush back to the hospital. Everything is a mess, there is a big accident on highway, several cars are cashing. The sound of children crying are sounded through the hospital. It takes Soohyun awhile to get back to her sense. 

“Dr. Lee this way.” A nurse pull Soohyun toward the patient.

“His neck is broken, he still remain conscious, but his head is bleeding very bad.” The nurse starts to explain the situation.

“Where is Professor Kim?” Soohyun ask because he is the head of emergency department.

“We try to get in contact with him 5 minutes ago and he is on his way. Most of doctors already left, so you are in charge”. The nurse report.

Soohyun says to all the nurses around her. “Listen to me, right now we will divide the patient into severe, mild, and moderate. We are less in people so just give out order and determine who need to be safe first and last. Also Head Nurse, please make a call to other department for extra help. Let’s get to work.”

The rain is very heavy so it makes it more difficult for polices and firefighters to save people. And same with the doctor, they can’t arrived to the hospital right away as the traffic is stuck as the weather getting worst.

“Dr. Lee.” The nurse call out for Soohyun.

“Yes.” Soohyun ask.

“There is an old man, he…his head is bleeding and we think he has an infection.” The nurse shutter.

“What?” Soohyun looks at the nurse. “Nurse Cho, check for his patient record and I will be in the room with the patient, also called the people from neurosurgeon.”

Soohyun rushing to the room and check for the patient condition.

“What’s wrong Nurse. Cho?” Soohyun ask as she saw all the nurses standing outside.

“It… it CDJ…” Nurse Cho answer.

Soohyun looks up as she see the frightening in Nurse Cho eyes.

“Except for me and Nurse Cho who make contact with the patient no-one allow to come in.” Soohyun says and she continues to look at the wound in the patient head. “Hurry up.”

All the other nurse continued their work and help other patient.

“There is a mask on the table, wear it.” Soohyun says. “How about you?” Nurse Cho ask.

“I’m fine, now hurry up.” Soohyun say as she carefully look at the patient.

“His ear is bleeding, and he is now unconscious. Have you give him a CT yet? Also a brain wavelength?” Soohyun ask as she started to clean his wound.

“Yes I have… Be careful Dr. Lee.” Nurse. Cho scream as the blood splattered to Soohyun’s face.

“It might be cerebrospinal fluid.” Soohyun say. “Get out now.” Soohyun yell at Nurse Cho.

“But…” Nurse Cho start to sobbing. “I’m giving the order, now get out.” Soohyun yelled again and continued. “You might get an infection, one is enough, I can handle this.”

As Nurse Cho leave, all the nurses that remain outside start to get worry and remain still outside the room.

“Go help other patient, hurry up.” Soohyun scream again

“What’s wrong?” A doctor rush in and ask

“Professor Kim, you're here. We have a patient that have CDJ and his cerebrospinal fluid is also leak.” Nurse Cho report. Without hesitant the professor walk in and look at Soohyun.

“Teacher.” Soohyun look at him as tear almost felt from her eyes.

“Good job on taking care of our department.” The professor say as he continues giving out order to Soohyun. He was a teacher, a sumbae, a father to her. After that a neurosurgeon rush in and report that the patient didn't have CDJ as they check the wavelength of the patient. Soohyun sign and smile to her teacher.

“I will leave this to you then.” The professor say to the neurosurgeon.

They both walk out from the room and the Soohyun’s teacher say. “Go take a shower, I will take care of the rest.”

“I’m okay, I can help.” Soohyun say but her teacher just smile and continued. “Everything is under control, don't worry.”

Soohyun smile and nod. She walk toward her locker and pull out her clean scrub. She thought that between the line of living and death, we all afraid of knowing the true, and we all afraid of death. She finally realize one thing, she only live one, she has no second life, so why not living her life for the best.

“This is truly a weird weather.” She says and smile.