The Ugly Truth

Wait for me

Author’s POV

“Soohyun ah.” The head nurse appear in front of Soohyun’s desk 

The girl looks up and greet the head nurse. “Hello Mrs. Cho, how are you?”

“I’m feeling fantastic, how about you?” Mrs. Cho smiles brightly at Soohyun

“You look extra happy today.” Soohyun smile and continues. “Wait, you need something. don't you?”

“Aigoo, our Soohyunie is so smart. Are you free this saturday?” The head nurse ask she pull the chair and sit next to Soohyun.

“Saturday?” Soohyun think for awhile then answer. “I’m kind of busy. But why?”

“Let’s me get this straight, your type of busy is staying at home and watch you mom restaurant. Am I correct?” The head nurse look at Soohyun and continues. “Ask them for a day off, and hang out with me on this Saturday.”

“Hang out? Unnies, I know you too well to play this trick on me.” Soohyun turn around to finish the paper work on her desk and say. “Thank you but I don't need you to set me up with anybody.”

“So it is true.” The head nurse say

“About?” Soohyun ask in confuse.

“About the guy that come with you on the day your brother get into a car accident.” Mrs. Cho pull Soohyun’s chair so she would face Mrs. Cho. “Is he your boyfriend? He very good looking and he kind of look familiar.”

“What?! No unnies, he just my friend. But can you please help me check on patient 306? I think he just get back from the surgery room.” Soohyun try to distract Mrs. Cho from asking more question.

“Don’t try to change the subject, I will be back for more.” The head nurse leave Soohyun and go check on the patient.

“Song Mino….aigoo Song Mino. Why YG boy always drive me crazy ?” Soohyun mumble to herself.

The name Song Mino was mention and Soohyun’s mind run back to the day he confess to her.

 

“Nae?” Soohyun ask in confusion

“I say be my girlfriend if I win Show me The Money.” Mino repeated the sentence again 

“Oppa… I.” Soohyun’s sentence was disrupted as Mino say. “I know you dating Jinhwan before…. I know and I understand that it would take you awhile to heal from this wound, but I willing to wait so can you at least say yes so I can have the courage to work harder?”

“Oppa, you can fine someone much better than me. And you don't need to work hard just because I say so… I’m not that important, and plus you are already talented so.…”

Mino just smile and look at Soohyun. “ It might be true that there are tons of others people who are much better like you say, but for me you’re the one that better for me.  And I just don't try hard because you say so, but I try harder cause I know my family, my member and you are there and believe in me, believe that I will do good. And you are important to me, Lee Soohyun.” Mino stand up from his chair and continues. “I have to leave now, don't feel pressure and just cheer for me.”

 

Soohyun tries to pull herself together and mumble. “Aigoo, what a life that I have?”

 

Rin, ring, ring

“Yoojung ah, what’s up?” Soohyun pick up her phone. “I get out at 7:30.” Soohyun answer her friend as they ask her when she finishes working. “Sure, I will meet you there.” Then Soohyun simply hang up as she promise to meet her friends at their usual drinking place.

 

“You are important to me, Lee Soohyun.” Soohyun sign as she repeated the word, Jinhwan never tells her that, all he did was promise, he promise they both will have a better life, he promise that he will debut and they can date freely. But now he is the one who broke our promise. Who is the selfish one? her or him? Or both of them? He has his dream, but so does she, she wants a normal family, a normal life. He can’t afford that and neither Mino. But Mino risking his career to come to the hospital with her that day, he holds her hand without afraid of other people seeing.

“Stop Lee Soohyun, you are just get out of a relationship. Aigoo wake up.” Soohyun telling herself.

“Dr. Lee, you’re not leaving yet?” Dr. Kang ask

“Nae?” Soohyun say then look at the clock. “Yes, I will.” Then she packs her stuff and walk out the hospital.

“This is so much trouble.” Soohyun mumble as she waits for her taxi.

 

As she walks into the restaurant, her two best friend are already wait for her. 

“What’s wrong with you two? Is something happen at work?” Soohyun ask them as she seating down.

“I’m just supper sad right now.” Yoojung say as she drink her beer.

Soohyun looks at Hyuna who is also finishing her bottle.

“What is going on?” Soohyun ask again

“Jinhwan from IKON is rumor to be dating Jimin from AOA.” Hyuna finish her sentence.

“What? It can be true.” Soohyun say in disbelief.

“What do you mean it can be true? Everything is possible.” Hyuna say which earn a glare from Yoojung

“Yah, he is not your bias anyway.” Hyuna say

“Still, they are just debut and I just don't believe it.” Yoojung say as she drinking her beer again.

“Ok, first of all the picture of them at the mall, then the her profile picture of his sister corgi. Come on Yoojung.” Hyuna pull out all the evident that she knows.

“They can be friend, you know, stop accusing him.” Yoojung says as she hits Hyuna in the arm.

While Soohyun’s friends was still arguing about it. Soohyun quietly drinking her beer.

In this one year, she thought that she was the bad one sine she been friended with Mino, but now as hearing this news, she realizes she doesn’t know him at all. Whether, the rumor is true or not, she knows that she should stay away from both of them, Mino and Jinhwan, they just a different word from her.

After awhile as she knowing they are drinking too much she carries them home, and then she walk home by herself.

‘What should I say to Mino-oppa?” Soohyun say to herself as she walks in the dark road.

“He in a competition right now.” She hit her head in frustrated.

 

“It is not healthy for you to talk by yourself.” A figure standing near my mom restaurant.

It him, Soohyun mumble again, they both wait for awhile without talking to one another.

“Why are you coming here?” Soohyun take a step forward then continues. “Why Kim Jinhwan? You shouldn't be here.”

“I guess you hear the news.” Jinhwan say as he walk toward Soohyun and he say. “ I can explain.” 

“You don’t have to explain, just tell me whether you dated her or not.” Soohyun control herself for not crying 

“We… we dated for awhile.” Jinhwan say as he looks at Soohyun in the eyes.

“When?” Soohyun avoiding Jinhwan and look at the ground.

“When we take a break…me and Jimin hang out for awhile then we dated.” Jinhwan say as he try to take another step near Soohyun.

“Please don't move.” Soohyun finally broke down in tear. “The whole time… the whole time Kim Jinhwan, I thought I was the one who did you wrong because I keep in touch with Mino-oppa this past year, I thought I was the one who selfish, I thought it all my fault. But you dating her. How could you?” Soohyun say as tear keep floating out.

“But we broke up now, and she didn't mean anything to me. I was trying to forget you… Can you please understand?” Jinhwan hold Soohyun wrist.

“Let’s go of me, we are officially done Kim Jinhwan, don't come find me anymore.” Soohyun walks pass Jinhwan.

“You can’t break up with me, I love you.” Jinhwan say as he try to pull Soohyun back

“You love me? No you don’t, you don't even love her, you just love yourself. You dating her before but now you saying that she didn't mean anything to you? You are not the Kim Jinhwan that I know anymore.” Soohyun say as she look at Jinhwan in the eyes.

“But you were doing the same thing, you talking with Song Mino, don't just blaming me.” Jinhwan angrily grabbing Soohyun tightly

“We are just talking, talking Kim Jinhwan. We are friend” Soohyun yelled again. “Even when we are just talking, I still feel horribly about myself, but you are dating another girl. I thought you want to focus on your debut, but… It was because you didn't love me anymore, you want something new.”

“Talking? I don't believe that, he like you. I knew it when I see him in your restaurant.” Jinhwan say as he pull Sohyun closer.

“Believe or not, that’s your choice. We are done.” Soohyun push Jinhwan away and start to walking.

“You are not going anywhere until we finish talking.” Jinhwan chasing Soohyun and pull her back.

“Let’s her go, you bastard.” Mino says as he run toward Soohyun.

“Mino-oppa” Soohyun say as Mino pull her and hide her behind him 

“It my fault for approaching her, don't blame her. She always try to push me away because of you, so don't compare her with your mistake.” Mine say as push Jinhwan away and continues. “ She didn't do anything wrong.”

“I see how is it. You guy are together. You choose him over me.” Jinhwan say as he take a step and look at Mino and Soohyun

“I didn't choose him nor I choose you. You both are from a different world, please let’s me tell you all this. Don't come and find me anymore Kin Jinhwan, I don’t have anything for you anymore.” Soohyun look at Jinhwan in the eyes. “This is the last time I see you.”

Jinhwan want to take a step forward but Soohyun take a step backward and shake her head. Jinhwan look at Mino and smile bitterly and walk away 

Then Soohyun turn around. and look at Mino. “Mino-oppa, thank you for defending me and … and my heart ached so much right now. I feel betrayed by him and myself. And for us… I…”

“I understand… I come here after I hear the news… I just want to comfort you and I wasn't planning to take advance at you or anything I swear.” Mino look at Soohyun desperately 

“I know oppa don't worry, I understand, but we are seriously from different world. I can’t let you risk your career for me and one pain is enough, I don't want to suffer from this. Everything you did for me was very nice. I’m sure you find someone better, I’m sorry for keep your hope up, I’m sorry for being selfish…I” Soohyun can’t stop herself from breaking down, Mino was a great friend, he is the one that make her happy and more than anything he helps Chanhyuk recognize his talent for composing.

Mino just quietly look at the small girl in front of him, he hesitated for awhile than he step forward and hug her. “It okay, I already tell you that I understand. But if this make you happy then I will take a step back. Listen, Lee Soohyun, always remember how important you are to me, to you family, to your friend, don't let this feeling kill you.” Mino then break the hug and take out from his bag back a pass.

“At least take this, if you go and cheer for me I will be very happy, but if you don't want to at least keep this as a gift from an old friend and remember that you have a friend called Song Mino.” Mino pat Soohyun head and give her one last smile before disappear into road.

“This is the best for all of us, I’m sorry.” Soohyun mumble as she look at Mino disappear

Soohyun look at the pass from her hand as her tear keep on falling. She turn around and walk inside her house and find out that Chanhyuk was standing there the whole time.

“Hurry up, mom and dad are waiting for us inside. They buy Korean beef today.” Without asking anything Chanhyuk pull his little sister closer to his embrace and walk inside.

 

The night goes on, and they all lost in their own thought, one is regret, one is broken and one is still fallen.