Jongin/Kyungsoo

Advent Drabbles 2k14

Rating: PG
Prompt: continuation of A Beast In Repose

 

Jongin doesn’t dance at night anymore.  He used to be drawn to the basement, his steps heavy with the beat of the music that would lure him in.  He would find catharsis in the familiar motions, and sometimes he’d find anger.  A lot of the time he’d find anger.  He didn’t used to always be angry, but now he’s come to accept that it’s a part of who he is now.  Just the same as the scars, Jongin’s anger now defines him.

Jongin doesn’t dance at night anymore.  He waits until the sun’s rays slant through the curtains in the living room and he dances for an audience.  Kyungsoo always watches him as if he’s the greatest man in the world and Jongin is addicted to it.  He’s addicted to the adoration in Kyungsoo’s eyes and the way he’s not afraid to touch Jongin, to lead him and scold him and hold him whenever he wishes.

Jongin finds his once unsteady world now held together in Kyungsoo’s embrace.  He knows it’s foolish to put so much on another person.  There are always going to be outside forces that could tear them apart and Jongin knows he would fall into the darkness again if Kyungsoo ever left.  But he faces that knowledge every moment of every day, knowing that he would never do it differently.

Kyungsoo is the sun and the stars, he’s the fresh air that fills Jongin’s lungs and Jongin wants to be the best for him.  Jongin isn’t perfect and he knows that he’ll never come close to it, but if he can bring a smile to Kyungsoo’s face, it’ll be worth it.  He just wants Kyungsoo to be happy because if Kyungsoo is happy, Jongin is happy.

Jongin watches fondly as Kyungsoo comes in from the garden, knocking the front of his shoes on the lip of the doorframe to shake off the loose dirt before stepping inside.  There’s dirt on his hands and a smudge on his cheek, probably from wiping at his face.  It’s warm outside and Kyungsoo has been spending longer out in the garden, trying to make it look respectable.

Jongin’s done his duty.  He’d trimmed the hedges and repainted the fence in front of the house.  Kyungsoo has a list of things that need to be fixed and steadily, they’re marking things off.  The garden is Kyungsoo’s long-term project.  Jongin thinks he might be another one of Kyungsoo’s long-term projects, but he’s alright with that.  He likes who he is with Kyungsoo around.

Jongin walks into the kitchen after Kyungsoo, coming up behind him and slipping his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist, his chin resting on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.  Kyungsoo washes the dirt off his hands in the sink, leaning his head on Jongin’s with a fond sigh.  Jongin squeezes him a little tighter.

Kyungsoo turns in his hold, smiling up at Jongin who can’t help but to lean in for a kiss.  Kyungsoo raises onto his toes and Jongin cups the back of his neck when their lips meet.  He’ll never get tired of this.  It’s as if the world pauses just for them.  Kyungsoo’s arms loop around Jongin’s neck and he teases Jongin’s lips with his tongue until Jongin parts them.

They take their time.  There’s nothing more important to Jongin than kissing Kyungsoo right now and Kyungsoo doesn’t seem in a hurry to move away.  Even when Kyungsoo trails fingers down the scars on his face, Jongin doesn’t pull away.  There was a time when he did, still too wary about them, but Kyungsoo has put him at ease.

It’s an indulgence and even when Kyungsoo pulls away a little, his fingers now lingering around Jongin’s mouth, it’s still enough.  Jongin’s heart beats stronger in his chest and that instinct to jerk away from Kyungsoo when he gets too close has subsided.

“Don’t get too comfortable,” Kyungsoo chides softly.  “We still need to go out for groceries.”

Jongin goes stiff and Kyungsoo has to hold tight to keep him from stepping back.

“Hey,” Kyungsoo starts, making sure Jongin is looking at him.  “You promised.”

“I know.”  Jongin doesn’t want to disappoint Kyungsoo, and he knows that he needs this for himself too.  It’s not the first time, or even the second or third that he’s gone out into the world with Kyungsoo at his side, but it doesn’t seem to be getting any easier.  He sees the way people look at him.  They’re afraid of him or they’re disgusted by him.  Or worse - they pity him.  It’s the pity that makes Jongin’s anger surge to the surface and it’s only Kyungsoo’s presence at his side that cools him off.

“Later?” Kyungsoo suggests, seeming to understand Jongin’s trepidation without Jongin having to say a word.

Jongin relaxes a little.  “Yeah,” he breathes.  “Later.”

“I guess that leaves room for more of this,” Kyungsoo comments.

Jongin isn’t expecting Kyungsoo to kiss him again and he doesn’t react for a moment.  Kyungsoo takes the lead, grabbing Jongin’s hands and putting them on his waist with a fond sigh.  “Kiss me,” Kyungsoo orders.  “Or I’m going back out to the roses.”

Jongin isn’t about to let that happen.  He does exactly what Kyungsoo wants, all the negativity that had been building inside him now fading away.  Later, he’s going to brave the grocery store and he’ll do it without complaint.  But for now, for this treasured moment that he’s going to keep tucked away, Jongin enjoys the love that takes him over with Kyungsoo in his arms.  Kyungsoo smiles at him, kisses him, takes care of him the way no one else ever has.  And Jongin falls more in love with him with every passing day.

Jongin doesn’t dance at night anymore.  He doesn’t have to because he has Kyungsoo to draw him into the light, leaving the darkness behind.  Jongin likes himself more, controls his emotions better.  This is what happily ever after tastes like.

And he’s never letting him go.