Chapter 8

Only You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae laid down the document on his table after signing it. He leaned back on his chair staring at it sitting on his desk. He wasn’t able to sleep at all last night and chose to go to his study when he saw light spilling out through the curtains in his bedroom window.

 

He closed his eyes trying not to think. What happened last night was a mistake. A huge mistake. He’s just letting himself on to an ending of pain. It shouldn’t have happened. But Dara caught him by surprise, letting him do what he had most wanted to do since he had met her. He opened his eyes and fell on the document he had laid down on the table.

 

It was the Petition for a Divorce as well the document for this Response to the Petition, given to him by his lawyer two days ago after they went back from Jeju. His lawyer had shown up after his meeting and gave him the documents to sign advising him that Dara’s lawyer is already working to get the petition filed in court and just waiting for her signature. His laywer told him that it might be matter of time until Dara’s lawyer shows up at their house as he couldn’t get a hold of her.

 

Donghae clenched his teeth when he received the envelope. The media has no knowledge that Dara had suffered amnesia from the accident. He thought her lawyer probably didn’t either if he’s planning to drop by at their house, probably going to shock the hell out of Dara.

 

He sighed. Why was he even protecting her? This is the truth. The reality. Dara had asked for the divorce. Dara had talked to her lawyer to work out the divorce. He knew this was coming and if it wasn’t for the accident, they would both be separated legally by now. Why is he even thinking that the Dara he was with now is going to be with him for the rest of his life? The Dara he was with now is a memory. An illusion that would disappear when the lights . It was now that he realized that he let a shred of hope crept up on him at his most vulnerable moment. The Petition is a slap in his face, waking him up from his false dream.

 

So Donghae did what he always do when it comes to Dara. He stayed away from her, just so he could squash that hope and prepare him for the moment Dara regained her memories. It wasn’t easy and last night had been his undoing. It will never happen again. He decided it shouldn’t happen again, And if it means he needs to tell Dara on the reality of their married life, then he will.

 

 

 

 

“Good morning sunshine,” Dara greeted her reflection cheerfully the next morning. She was full of energy today despite her lack of sleep. It was probably around 4 in the morning when she dozed off. And around 8 in the morning when she woke up. She could see bags around her eyes, she looks paler than usual but she had never felt more alive. Her cheeks turned pink when her thoughts drifted to what happened last night and she tried to block it.

 

Stop! Stop! Stop!

 

If this keeps going, she won’t be able to look at Donghae anymore. She checked herself in the mirror, putting her hair up in a ponytail, few of the strands falling on her face. She chose to wear a shirt and pants which she thinks look good on her. Even if her chances of seeing Donghae today is slim, considering what a major workaholic he is, there’s no harm in looking her best today. And if he’s already gone off to work, then she could wait for him at lunch. Or dinner.

 

Satisfied with what she sees in her reflection, she walked out of her bedroom, stifling a yawn. She was practically skipping down the stairs and into the dining room. Mrs. Rey was covering the soup but lifted the cover again when she saw her.

 

“Good morning Mrs. Rey,” Dara greeted, all smiles.

 

Mrs. Rey returned her smile and Dara noticed it no longer contained the withered look she always receive when she interact with her. She wondered when it had changed. She sat down and started to fill her plate.

 

“Did Donghae already left?” She asked while chewing on her bacon.

 

Mrs. Rey shook her head. “He’s in his office.”

 

Dara opened to speak, shocked that he’s still  in the house but forgot she was in the verge of swallowing her bacon. She coughed, gasping for air, trying to get some air into her lungs, the bacon stuck in her windpipe. Mrs. Rey gave her some water and patting her on the back a little too hard. She drank the glass of water in one gulp and finally felt oxygen. She wiped her eyes while feeling like swallowed sand. She coughed one more time before speaking hoarsely, “He’s still here?”

 

Mrs. Rey nodded. “He already ate breakfast,” she said as if reading her mind that she wanted to eat breakfast with him.

 

She went back into eating her breakfast, slowly chewing, suddenly feling nervous. She had hoped Donghae would still be in the house and she hoped to see him before he go to work but she actually didn’t believe he would still be in the house when she wakes up. Now, she doesn’t know what to tell him  or how she would react when she sees him. Or what he would say when he sees her. The overwhelming urge to see him is warring with her overwhelming need to hide from him until she knows what she would say. Does their kiss last night affected him as much as it affected her?

 

No. She should not go there. She felt her face flame red and she drank the glass of milk Mrs. Rey had poured her. She need to stop thinking about that. Donghae would think that’s all she thinks about. Even if the truth is, that’s all she really thinks about.

 

She was pacing in the living room after breakfast, glancing at Donghae’s office door. It was open but she couldn’t hear any sound inside it. Was Donghae busy? She stopped near the door, then deciding against it, she went back into pacing in the living room again. She could see Mrs. Rey watching her in amusement. Dara looked at her and Mrs. Rey nodded, urging her to go Donghae if she really wanted to talk to him. Encouraged by Mrs. Rey, she walk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter