Chapter 13

Only You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae squinted when he opened his eyes . He glanced at his wall clock and saw it was already late in the morning. He caught a glimpse of drifting snow through his glass window. He turned his head to his side and saw Dara still sleeping, snuggled against him, her head on his shoulder and his arms around hers. He blinked, still unable to believe Dara is here with him. A surge of pride rush up at him. It was last night, or earlier this morning, when he found out that he was the first man in Dara’s life. He was worried he might have hurt her. He softly kissed Dara in her forehead and Dara shifted a little but continued sleeping. He carefully pulled his arm out and stepped out of bed, pulling on his boxer shorts and his shirt. He lifted the blanket a little higher to cover Dara before walking out of his room.

 

He went straight to the kitchen and opened the cupboards for something to cook breakfast. He remembered doing the same for the last three years and he shook his head to clear it. He will stop all those thoughts now. Like what they say, Seize The Day and he’s going to do just that. Whatever tomorrow will bring him, he will get through it.

 

He was already cooking bacon when he heard the fron door open. Forehead creasing as to who might be coming in, he walked out of the kitchen and found Mrs. Rey shaking off her coat with the snow. She stopped shaking the coat when she caught sight of him with the spatula in his hand.

 

“You’re here?”

 

Donghae scratched his head at the obvious answer. “Uh, yeah? I thought you won’t be back until tomorrow?”

 

“Well, I thought you won’t be here and I was worried about Dara.”

 

Donghae smirked. It seems like Dara also charmed her way to Mrs. Rey’s good books.

 

“What time did you get in?” Mrs. Rey hanged her coat on the rack next to the front door.

 

“Maybe around 2 or 3?” He shrugged. He really couldn’t remember what time he got in earlier that day.

 

Mrs. Rey tsked. “So I guess you really did miss out Christmas eve with Dara. Are you cooking breakfast?”

 

“Uh… yeah.”

 

“Is Dara still sleeping?”

 

“Uh…” He felt uncomfortable. “Yeah.”

 

“Okay, then let me wake her up so we could have breakfast together.” She started to walk on the stairs but Donghae called out to her.

 

“Maybe a little bit later. She… slept… really late….”

 

“Because she waited for you,” Mrs. Rey reprimanded him and she took a step up the stairs. “I really can’t believe you didn’t listen to me. I’ll wake Dara. I think this breakfast will cheer her up.”

 

Donghae inadvertently took a step forward. “You really shouldn’t. You just rest and not worry about Dara. She’ll wake up later.” Just what he needed. What happened with Dara is something so private and she will be embarrassed if Mrs. Rey found out.

 

But Mrs. Rey wasn’t listening to him. She kept walking up the stairs and Donghae had no other choice. “She’s not in her room.”

 

Mrs. Rey stopped and looked at him frowning. “Where is she?”

 

Donghae cleared his throat, feeling his ear redden. Now, he feels embarassed too. “She’s in mine,” he said.

 

“What’s that?” Mrs. Rey tilted her head not hearing Donghae’s mumble.

 

“I said she’s in my room. Aish!” He turned around and walked back inside the kitchen leaving Mrs. Rey staring open mouthed at his retreating form.

 

He turned the bacon over to cook the other half and he could hear Mrs. Rey entering the kitchen. He didn’t look up as he think he might be blushing. He’s blushing! He’s already near his 30s and he’s blushing, goddammit!

 

“Okay, now I under stand. I guess my coming early foiled your plans huh?” Mrs. Rey teased.

 

Donghae grimaced. Honestly, Mrs. Rey is still treating him like a kid sometime. “I don’t have a plan. I’m just cooking her breakfast.”

 

Mrs. Rey nodded. “Okay, then I’m just going to go to my room and pretend I’m not here.”

 

Donghae chuckled.”Right, and I guess you wouldn’t make excuses like going to the bathroom or seeing the beauty of the snow or making sure there are enough food in the fridge.”

 

“When have I ever done that?” Mrs. Rey asked innocently.

 

Donghae was smiling as he placed the bacons on the plate and shut off the stove. He looked at Mrs. Rey unable to tell her with words how much he is thankful she’s around so he simply said, “Thank you.”

 

Mrs. Rey raised her brows. “For whatever that is, you’re welcome.” Then she shooed him. “Go and get this to her.”

 

 

 

Dara was woking on some documents in her laptop when she felt arms encircle her. She smiled recognizing the smell of perfume she had given.

 

“It’s already late and you’re still working?”

 

She squeezed the arms that was around her. “I’m gonna be a minute. Are you going home now?” She turned her head to look at Jiyong’s who was snuggled on her shoulder.

 

“I was thinking of having dinner together. Just finish this tomorrow.”

 

Dara shook her head. “I can’t. I’m running on a deadline. You go home first and I’ll call you when I get home okay?” She pecked him on the cheek and turned her head back on the screen. Jiyong pouted and straightened his back.

 

“C’mon Dara, we never really get to spend any time together. This is my first time in 6 months I finally had some free time and you’re still…there glued to your laptop.”

 

Dara didn’t answer, busy hitting the keys. Jiyong put a hand on the laptop and closed it.

 

“Jiyong!” She looked up at him frowning.

 

“Dara please? Can you just give  me at least an hour of your time?”

 

Dara stared at Jiyong’s pleading face. It was true they haven’t really spend time together the past few months because of their busy schedule. She hasn’t even got time to miss him for all those schedules and apppointments she had. Jiyong was also on his first tour and they could barely spare a minute to talk on the phone. She sighed. “Okay, but I really need to finish this. How about this? Why don’t you meet me at the Beale St.? Give me an hour and I’ll be there.”

 

Jiyong looked at her skeptically.

 

“Promise I’ll be there.” Dara held up her hand to show her promise. “I just really need to finish this. Please?”

 

Jiyong sighed giving in. “Okay. I’ll wait for you there. One hour, okay?”

 

Dara nodded eager to get back on her work.

 

It was already way past 1 in the morning when she realized she had forgotten she was supposed to  have dinner with Jiyong.

 

The image shifted to her sitting across a tall, statuesque, woman in a restaurant.

 

“Let him go Dara,” she said. She placed a brown enevelope and slid it to her.

 

Dara barely glanced at it and raised her eyebrow at the woman. She doesn’t like this woman at all. “What is that?”

 

“Take a look at it.”

 

“I’m asking you what it is,” she snapped. “My time is worth more than yours and I don’t intend to spend it on something you are telling to me read.”

 

The woman smirked. “I really don’t know what he sees in you.” She nodded on the envelope. “I don’t intend to waste your time as well as mine but I want you understand what is already going on. If you even have a heart left, you’ll leave him alone.” The woman stood up leaving her with the envelope. Dara clenched her jaw, unable to look at the envelope.

 

The image shifted to her on her car, driving way more than the required speed.

 

There were tears streaking on her face and she is angrily wiping them away. She never cries. She will not cry even with this one. She pulled out her phone and dialled.

 

“Attorney? It’s Dara. I want to file a divorce.” She listened on the other line and nodded. “Yes, i’ll meet you tomorrow.Or the next. I want to get this over with as soon as possible… The grounds? The marriage was not consumated. This marriage was arranged. Just… put whatever is needed. I want this over as soon as possible.”

 

She listened to the attorney and she answered all his questions. Finally, the attorney assured her he will work on this and will call Lee Donghae for her intention to file the divorce. He had advised her to always call him if Donghae’s lawyer called her. Dara agreed and told him she’s moving out of the house anyway.

 

She hung up after that and she breathed in to calm herself. She’s going to pack tonight and she couldn’t wait until she’s out of the house. His house.

 

She was so engrossed in her thoughts and alternately wiping tears when she didn’t saw the stop sign. She drove on and before she knew it, something crashed on her side, glasses splintering, shards flying. She only made a single sound before the car toppled over.

 

 

Dara’s eyes flew open. She was  breathing hard, beads of sweat on her forehead. She was in a fetal position and she was shaking. Her eyes fluttered, scanning the room wondering where she is, thinking the room is unfamiliar. Where is she? She couldn’t even make out what she is dreaming about and what she is suddenly so afraid of.

 

Then the events of that morning all gathered in her thoughts and she sat up immeadiately. She’s in Donghae’s room! She blushed furiously and patted her cheeks feeling all the blood is rushing up solely on her cheeks. Omigosh, how can she look at Donghae? It’s so embarrassing! She practically him or something! She swathed herself with Donghae’s comforter as the embarrassment flooded her.

 

She covered her hand with her face. “Oh my god, this is so embarrassing,” she muttered wishing she could just disappear.

 

The door opened and Dara looked up. Donghae entered the room carrying a tray. They both froze when their eyes met. Donghae was the first to recover. He cleared his throat. “Hi. I… cooked breakfast.” He walked over to her and placed the tray beside her.

 

Dara bit her lip looking at somewhere other than Donghae, her face still beet red. How can one react after what happened? She should’ve asked Bom first about things like this. “Thank you,” she said shyly.

 

She took one of the bread and took a bite, chewing slowly.

 

“Did i… hurt you? Last night?” Donghae asked studying her face.

 

Dara’s eyes flew to Donghae. There it is. Something which indicates what happened is real. She nodded her head. “Yeah.”

 

“I’m—“ Donghae began to apologize but Dara suddenly laughed and all the tension between them disappeared. Donghae’s mouth turned upward.

 

Dara couldn’t understand why she’s feeling so embarassed. She’s an adult now.Well, in body anyway and they are married. She heartily ate the bacon, still chuckling. Then she remembered her puppy.

 

“Sakuragi!” She was about to stand up when Donghae stopped her.

 

“I’ll get… Sakuragi,” he said smiling.

 

Seconds later, he was holding the puppy with it’s tail wagging. He gave it to Dara and Dara snuggled her face on its fur.

 

“Good morning Sakuragi, did you miss me?” The puppy her face.

 

“Uh…” Donghae started. “You ought to know… that puppy is a girl.”

 

Dara stopped ruffling the puppy’s fur. “Sakuragi is a girl?”

 

Donghae nodded. Dara lifted one of the puppy’s hind legs feeling so stupid. She didn’t know why she didn’t check on it first before naming him. “Ah, it’s already responding to Sakuragi.”

 

The puppy sniffed on the bacon and Dara fed it. Donghae could only stare at her, smile creepig up on his face. Then he realized he must’ve looked like an idiot staring at his wife. He cleared his throat. “Do you want to go… somewhere today?”

 

Dara looked up at him smiling widely. “Yes,” she immediately answered. Then a thought crossed her mind. “I mean if… you’re not busy. Which you shouldn’t be since it’s christmas, right?”

 

Donghae shook his head. “No, I’m not busy today.”

 

“Good. I want to go to Lotte World! And the Namsan Tower! I want to ride the cable car.” She listed off the things she wanted to go to. Donghae told her they could leave the puppy with Mrs. Rey and Dara was surprised Mrs. Rey is already here.

 

“She was worried about you,” Donghae said.

 

“Aww… Mrs. Rey such a sweet lady. Scary but sweet.”

 

She tried to block the embarrassment at the thought that Mrs. Rey probably knew what happened between her and Donghae now. She announc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter