Chapter 9

Only You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dara?”

 

Dara turned her head to see Mrs. Rey at her door looking at her with a look of sympathy on her eyes. She was lying on her bed looking catatonic as she stared at the ceiling. The event of what happened earlier replaying in her mind over and over.

 

After Donghae had left her in his office, she picked up the envelope Donghae had dropped in front of her. It was addressed to him and she didn’t need to study law to find out that she was the one who had requested to file for a divorce when she pulled out the paper from it. Sha had ran straight to her room after reading and just sat at the bottom of her bed cyring her eyes out. If what Donghae said is true, that she was the one who had asked for that, then why is she hurting so much? If she really doesn’t care about Donghae then shouldn’t she harbor some kind of indifference towards him? Is it really because she’s dependent on him? And who is supposed to be this ex she can’t get over with? On and on, barrage of questions invaded her thoughts and that only made her cry all the more. She doesn’t even know who she is anymore. What she is.

 

After getting tired from crying, she crept up into bed and laid there. And she didn’t realize it was already getting dark.

 

Mrs. Rey looked at her like she wanted to say something then said, “You missed lunch.”

 

Dara sat up, her eyes feeling like they got punched.

 

“I’m not hungry, thank you.” She sniffled.

 

Mrs. Rey sighed softly. “Starving yourself to death won’t change the situation.”

 

“I only missed lunch,” she said ruefully. “I guess you heard our little… argument, huh?”

 

“You weren’t exactly keeping it low.”

 

Dara giggled in spite of herself. She felt like she’s going crazy if that sarcastic remark is cheering her up.

 

“You have a visitor,” Mrs. Rey announced and Dara’s brows furrowed in confusion. Visitor?

 

“Is it my mom?” She asked hopefully.

 

“No,” Mrs. Rey shook her head. “A Bom? Park Bom?”

 

Dara didn’t need to hear it twice. She stood up and almost ran down the stairs with Mrs. Rey telling her her visitor is in the living room. Heart beating out of her chest, scared of what she would see, she halted at the foot of the stairs, the living room just across from where she stand. What if she is no longer the Bom she remembered? What if she hates her too like everyone else? She took a deep breath and walked into the living room.

 

There she is. Her back was to her, looking at the glass window. Her hair still long, almost at her waist. She turned her head around and saw her. Dara in air. She couldn’t say how glad she is to see Bom. How happy. She doesn’t care if it turned out Bom hates her too. She is just so glad to see her. She darted over to where Bom is and hugged her, almost toppling her over.

 

“Woah,” Bom exclaimed.

 

All the emotions spilled out from her and Dara didn’t even realize she was sputtering. “I’m sorry, I’m just so glad to see you.” She sobbed uncontrollably.

 

Bom hugged her back, smoothing her hair to comfort her. “It’s okay.”

 

After a couple of minutes of crying, Dara wiped her blotched face realizing Bom’s shoulder is wet with her snot. “I’m sorry, I got your shirt wet.” She tried to pat it dry to no avail.

 

“Well, you’re going to pay for the dry cleaning.” Bom wiped the side of her eyes too.

 

Dara took her hand and they both sat at the couch. She studied Bom wondering how much she had changed. Nothing much except—

 

“Bom, you’re fat!”

 

Bom scowled. “Thank you very much.”

 

Dara couldn’t believe it. Her best friend actually had the ability to gain weight. She wasn’t really that fat, though. More like a little round specially on the middle. But if she remembered Bom at all in highschool, this would be considered as an overweight.

 

“I mean, I didn’t know you could gain weight. How did you get so fat?” Dara asked tactlessly. Maybe it was the manner in which she was used to in highschool wherein they can say anything to each other without getting offended.

 

“I’m not fat, you idiot. I’m pregnant!” Bom looks affronted.

 

Dara thought she was hearing things. Her mind went blank as she stared open mouthed at Bom. “Huh?”

 

Bom looked at her and chuckled at her expression. “I’m already thirty Dara. I have the right to get pregnant.”

 

Dara put her hand in . Oh my god. Her best friend is pregnant. “You’re pregnant?” She couldn’t get her head around the idea.

 

“Almost 4 months,” Bom said looking proud.

 

“Oh my gosh.” Dara still couldn’t believe it. “So… you…did it?”

 

Bom looked at her like she was crazy then burst out laughing.  Dara realized how stupid she is. Yes, Bom already did it if she was already 4 months pregnant. Her mind in her sixteen years just coulnd’t grasp it. When did she get so slow?

 

“Yes, I already did it,” Bom said still laughing. “I had .”

 

Dara gasped. “Oh my god, I can’t believe you said it.” Then she laughed too. Now this is how she and Bom was and she had never missed her as much as she missed her now.

 

“Who married you?” Dara asked after their laughter died down.

 

“What makes you think I’m married?” Bom asked with raised eyebrows.

 

Dara’s smile got wiped. “You’re not married? Then how did you get…”

 

“Things have changed Dara. You can get pregnant without being married,” Bom answered seriously.

 

Dara was just looking at her not sure how her expression looks like. She doesn’t know what to think. Was she really stuck in the year when being married is first before getting pregnant? Then Bom laughed again seeing her face.

 

“Wow, you really got back in your teens. You are so… conservative.” Then she laughed again shaking her head. “And still so gullible. I was just kidding.”

 

“About being pregnant? Because if it is, then you seriosuly need some working out to do,” Dara said concernedly glancing at her stomach.

 

Bom slapped her lightly on the shoulder. “Hey, stop making jibes on my weight. I really am pregnant. And also married.” She held up her left hand and shown Dara her wedding ring.

 

“Wow. So who married you?” She asked again. “Anyone I know?”

 

Bom pursed her lips looking uncomfortable. “Promise you won’t laugh or make jokes or anything.”

 

Dara made a motion of crossing her heart.

 

“It’s Seung Hyun.”

 

Dara felt drop open. “Seung Hyun? Choi Seung Hyun?”

 

Bom nodded looking sheepish.

 

“Mr. Class President Choi Seung Hyun?” Dara asked trying to confirm.

 

“None other,” Bom answered.

 

“I knew it! You are such a liar. You keep telling me you don’t like him but you can’t shut up about him.”

 

“What? No I didn’t!” Bom denied.

 

“Yes, you do. Even at lunch, your eyes keeps roaming around looking for him. I noticed that. I just didn’t want to be too forward to tell you your feelings for him.”

 

“No, I really didn’t! That was… me looking for someone to laugh at.”

 

Dara laughed and pretty soon, Bom laughed too.

 

“I missed you Bom,” Dara said taking Bom’s hand. Bom smiled and returned her hold on her hand. “Why didn’t you visited me sooner?” She can’t help but accuse Bom of abandoning her.

 

“Well…” Bom looked down at their hands then looked back up at her. “We really haven’t been talking to each other for…I don’t know… four years.”

 

“What?” Another surprise there. “Four years?”

 

“We had a big fight…” Bom looks like she couldn’t find the words to recount what happened.

 

“And that took four years?” Dara asked incredulously. “We always fought but we make up the day after. I mean… four years?”

 

“We said some really… bad… insulting… really offensive… things to each other.”

 

“We always say things like that. How can it take four years? I mean… I can’t live without you.”

 

“You apparently could,” Bom replied sadness creeping up on her voice.

 

Dara shook her head, again shocked how her life had turned out. Even the one person who she thought would never leave her was not talking to her for four years!

 

“I didn’t even know you had amnesia,” Bom continued. “I just read your accident in the news. I visited you in the hospital but… you were in a coma and… I couldn’t stay. I kept thinking it was my fault… I don’t know. I guess, I thought it would never have happened if I was there with you. I guess I was thinking  none of it would have happened if I didn’t give up but…” She let out a breath. “I had an emotional breakdown. I guess being pregnant amplifies every feeling i have so Seung Hyun had to take me out of the country. You know, just have some space to breathe in. Then I got a call suddenly from a girl named Lee Hi. Said she was your assistant and you were looking for me. That’s when I found out you lost your memories. Gone back to high school, huh?”

 

Dara couldn’t even smile. She felt like crying again.

 

“I tried to get back here as fast a I can but Seung Hyun was worried and I had to convince him.”

 

“Bom, please, if you’re saying you’re risking your baby because of me then… you really shouldn’t have.” Dara leaned heavily on the couch. “I had enough guilt already.”

 

“That’s not what Seung Hyun is worried about. He was worried you might turn back into a monster and I would end up worrying about you.”

 

“Oh my god, how did I become such a monster?” Dara wailed.

 

Bom bit her lip. “That was a joke.”

 

“No, it wasn’t and you know it. I know… that something… happened to me. I have… changed into… whatever, I don’t know. I just know what I was is no longer what I am.” Dara was staring into space, her eyes getting blurry. She wiped a tear which fell on her cheeks then looked imploringly at Bom. “Tell me what happened to me Bom. Please.”

 

Bom nodded. “But are you sure you are ready for this?”

 

“I’m not. But it’s the only way for me to live right now.”

 

Bom searched her face then sighed ater seeing the determination written there. “Okay. You know I’ll never lie to you and I’ll never play it down if you would be hurt eventually. When was the last time you remembered?”

 

“The accident.”

 

Bom snorted. “Which one?”

 

“I got into a lot of accidents?”

 

“Honey, you were a magnet for accidents. At least only the minor ones.”

 

“Oh, I guess that explains some of the scars,” Dara said thoughtfully. “I remembered the accident before our finals. You know the song for  our music class? And I stopped to write on a paper in a folder but it flew away?”

 

Bom nodded remmbering. “Oh, that accident.”

 

“I really felt my head cracked. That was the last thing I remembered when I woke up in the hospital. And that was 15 years ago. Within those years, I had no idea what happened.” She exhaled. “Was I sent to the hospital too? Did I graduate?”

 

“That accident only gave you a minor concussion,” Bom started. “You were brought to the hospital of course but you kept screaming My song, my song, my finals! So I had to get back and pick up all your papers. Some were already lost but I found your song, by the way, and yes, you got the highest score in Music class and yes, you did graduate.”

 

Dara smile ruefully. “That’s good. I don’t even remember the song I made.”

 

“It was really good. You said Donghae helped you with it.”

 

Dara sat up straight. “What? Donghae helped me with it?”

 

“That’s what you told me. And that song, Donghae’s father really liked it so he asked if he could use it as one of his artist’s song and you agreed. But you split the profit between you and Donghae.”

 

Dara was so still trying to force her brain to bring back those memory. “So… Donghae and I were  friends?”

 

“Yes… I think so. I mean, he helped you set up your company.”

 

“He helped me set up my company?” Dara felt like a broken record, repeating what is being said but she can’t help it. She needs to ask to confirm.

 

Bom took a deep breath. “Ok, let me start from the beginning.”

 

Dara listened intently. After their graudation, she had applied for an internship at The Hits Entertainment. Donghae’s father agreed seeing a lot of potential from Dara. Donghae training to take over the company also helped as he had been a good friend of Dara’s. They were constantly together, constantly seen bickering, joking around, arguing. Dara had also asked Donghae to take Bom in after Bom got rejected from several companies. She told Donghae Bom had an amazing vocals and he could use her voice on background music. Pretty soon, both of them are working as an intern at The Hits Entertainment.

 

Dara continued her internship while studying for college. But it was two years in college when her first heartbreak happened. She found her parents has already b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter