Chapter 23

Only You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You are the biggest fool I. Have. Ever. Met.”

 

Dara made a face as Bom enunciated each word with a passion. She was sitting at the edge of the bed as she watched Dara pack what little things she brought at their house, her suitcase opened and Dara folding each clothes carefully. Bom had just got back after visiting her in laws late that morning and went straight to Dara’s room as soon as she stepped out of the car. She immediately went into a scolding spree as soon as she saw Dara beginning to pack her suitcase telling her what a stupid moron she is, what in the hell she’s thinking to do that, if she had even thought it carefully and realize what she’s losing. It went on for about an hour and she had sat down at the bed feeling exhausted while Dara let her rant at her with an amused expression on her face.

 

She’s going to miss her best friend so much in New York. Even though Bom had promised her to visit every chance she gets, she knew it wouldn’t be the same. Especially when they hadn’t been talking at all for the last 3 to 4 years because of her mean, evil streak.

 

“I already know,” Dara responded. “You had been telling me that ever since we were kids.”

 

Bom rolled her eyes. “Why so soon? I thought you would move to New York by at least 5 months from now or something. Why are you rushing?”

 

Dara stopped a moment in folding her pants then she shrugged. “I don’t see any point in staying.”

 

Bom huffed. “Oh please. You honestly think I would buy that? It’s about Donghae isn’t it?”

 

Dara resumed packing her stuff. After spending at least a good full hour crying her eyes out at her mom’s hotel room last night, she promised herself she won’t ever cry again. Especially in front of her parents. Especially her dad. God, that was embarassing. Her father getting to know the complications of her lovelife and her father even threatening to go over to Donghae’s and drag him there so they could talk this, ridiculous out, as her father had mildly put it. That stopped her crying and she had to firmly put her foot down and literally clutched her father’s shirt from behind to keep him from walking out the door and barging into Donghae’s. Her father couldn’t understand why she’s dong this. She’s beginning to think she couldn’t understand either after telling him for about 5 times last night. She’s getting so confused now she felt like ripping out her hair and taking out her brain. Talk about morbid. Before she knew it, she’s already arguing with her father that he’s making her confused and he should let it be. That she’s old enough to make decisions and know what was good for her. Her father rebutted that if this is good for her, then why is she so miserable.

 

Her mother is more of a diplomat as she gently interrupted their argument stating maybe all Dara needed is time to think. Her father shut his mouth, sighing heavily as he studied Dara’s puffy eyes. Dara had then walked to her father and hugged him again telling him not to worry anymore and she’ll get through this. That they should be celebrating of being together as a family.

 

After last night she realized her parents may no longer be together, but they are still a family. And she really appreciate all the efforts that had given to provide her just that.

 

“It’s not about him…” Dara denied then thought better of it. “… much. It’s just… I really needed to get out of here. Breathe. Let some of those… you know, negativity out and just… start anew.“ Bom had enough worries of her own and she didn’t need to be worried about her too.

 

“You really think your leaving would suddenly make things better for Donghae?” Bom said disregarding what she just said.

 

“No, I don’t think that,” Dara answered. “I just hope that it will.”

 

“What happens if it didn’t?” Bom asked again.

 

Dara stopped and looked at her. “I don’t know,” she answered in a quiet tone. Then she put her hands in her hips and glared at her best friend. “Why are you trying to depress me?”

 

“Because you’re depressing me,” Bom simply answered. “I really really don’t get what you’re doing and it’s really really making me bonkers trying to get it.”

 

Dara chuckled then continued folding her clothes. She’s only been here four days and she didn’t know how her clother suddenly get so scattered in the room everywhere. “Honestly, It’s confusing me too. I don’t know if what I’m doing is the right thing or… if my leaving would actually make a difference, you know. I’ve just… I’m a mess. My head’s a mess. I don’t know what to think anymore, I just…” She shook her head. “I just hope that… once i’m gone… maybe there’s something… good that will come out of it, you know.”

 

“Like what?:” Bom pressed on.

 

“I don’t know!” Dara said in agitation with one of her clothes in her hand. “Maybe once I’m gone, Donghae’s life wouldn’t be messed up anymore. I wouldn’t be in the way of whatever decision he would try to make, he wouldn’t consider how his decisions will affect me, his father would see how hardworking he is and he won’t lose Hits... without me getting in the way of his dad’s perception of him…maybe his dad would consider going back here in Seoul and make peace with his son. Maybe he could still make Hits as one of the top again… Maybe he could start a new life without me hurting him everyday….” She plopped down on the side of the bed facing the wall, her brows creased thoughtfully. “I don’t know.”

 

Bom was silent and Dara continued. “I just want him to be the person whom I’ve met in Jeju.” The person who loves to laugh and . And annoy the hell out of her. The one who had taken his position seriously when responsibility already called him for it. The one who vowed he would make his father’s dream for him come true yet always find time to have fun out of life. The one she is with when she lost her memories. The one she had just up whole. “I just want him back to the way he was. Even if I won’t be here to see it.” She let out a breath wishing again and again that fate should’ve let her keep her memories lost even for a couple days more. Because by then she wouldn’t have her conscience nagging her everytime she looks at his face and know he’s on the verge of losing everything he had worked for because of her.

 

Bom raised one of her brows. “And you think all of this really depends on you?”

 

Dara was silent then lifted the corners of . “Yeah. I mean we both know that guy is totally inlove with me, right? Of course his whole world depends on me.”

 

Bom chuckled then swatted her with a pillow. “You are the biggest, egotistical fool I have ever met.”

 

Dara laughed then stood up, refolding the shirt she had in her hands and outting it on top of the ones she had already folded in her suitcase. “There are still some things I forgot at the house but I don’t want to go back there.” She doesn’t want to face Donghae in case he was there. Or Mrs. Rey. Especially Mrs. Rey.

 

Bom rolled her eyes again. “Fine, I can go there and take it. What do you want me to take?”

 

Dara grinned widely. “Really? You are the best friend anyone can ever have!”

 

“You owe me and you’d better make sure you will be here when my baby comes because I won’t ever speak to you if you missed the most important day of my baby’s life.”

 

“Yeah,” Dara said. “I’ll be here to comfort your baby. Imagine being born with Park Bom as your mother.”

 

“I hate you!” Bom said and Dara laughed then proceeded in telling her what she needs.

 

“There’s a flash drive at the drawer on my computer desk. I think there’s about three of them. I only need the blue one but… you could just bring them all. And the book collection I have with with John Grisham… You can ask Seung Hyun to go with you right? Perfect. And my Ipad that is in hidden at the bottom of—“ She stopped when she remembered her ipad. “Ah !” She plopped down on the bed remembering her ipad, unable to believe she hadn’t remembered until today.

 

“Uh… What about the ipad?” Bom asked.

 

“The ipad… I took it out and gave it to Donghae and…” She is an idiot. She just hoped Donghae wouldn’t ever open it.

 

“Waiting here,” Bom said and Dara turned her body to face Bom.

 

“I gave the Ipad to Donghae when I have the amnesia because I thought it was some kind of electronic, digital board and Donghae took it so he could charge the battery but I didn’t ask for it back. It’s still with him!”

 

“Uh… okaaay…” Bom said looking at her like she’s not making any sense.

 

“Oh my god, Bom please, you need to ask it back!” Dara clutched Bom’s hand earnestly. “Please call Donghae and ask it back. Or… or… just search for it in his room or ask Mrs. Rey where it is. Please you need to get it back. Oh my god, I hope he doesn’t open it. But of course, he wouldn’t be so mad at me if he did open it right? I mean—“

 

“Dara!” Bom interrupted Dara’s self musing and she looked at Bom with wide eyes. “Tell me again why you are so hung up about this ipad? Can’t you buy one again?”

 

Dara stared at Bom then scrunched her face, slouching. “Boooom!” She wailed. “I hid it in the bottom of my closet for a reason! The ipad is my diary!”

 

Bom just looked at her. “And?”

 

Dara huffed a breath and faced Bom again. “All the pictures I took are in it. All the stolen pictures of Donghae I took are in there. Do you know what else? Some of it are even covered in hearts—oh my god that is completely humiliating, what the hell was I thinking!” She put her hand in her head trying to remember what else she had put in there. “And the secret letters…. the songs I made for him…” She hung her head, mortified.

 

“That is so grade school,” Bom said.

 

Dara snapped her head back up again. “I need to get it back!” She faced Bom, her face pleading as she grabbed Bom’s shoulders. “Bom please! Please get it back!” If Donghae read it, then all her plans would be for nothing. She could deny it but she really doesn’t know if she can if Donghae would be confronting her about it. Not to mention how utterly embarassing it would be if Donghae found all the things she wrote in there. God, she would kill him if he did!

 

“Okay, okay,” Bom said. “I’ll get it back, sheesh.” Dara let her go. “Seriously Dara, I think you don’t even need an amnesia to get back in your teens.”

 

“I was inundated with all these… you know,” Dara tried to defend herself, still looking worried. “Feelings. And… I didn’t have anybody to talk to or anybody to share it with.” She sighed as she recalled what made her start that diary. “I only wanted to try that stupid app and before I knew it… It kinda made me think I had a virtual best friend whom I can tell secrets with and not worry of spilling it out. Those comprised of me in all of my… I don’t know, 2 years, of living with Donghae. Being married to him. When I realized I love him. Do you know how hard it is to try to look like you didn’t care about someone’s existence and feeling that you want to burst? That diary is my only way out. Oh crap.”

 

“Okay, calm down. What did you wrote in there anyway? Darahae forever and all those kinda stuff?”

 

“No.” Dara glared at her best friend then looked upward as she tried to remember what she wrote in there. “Something similar to that, maybe.”

 

Bom laughed shaking her head. “Out of all the things you did, this is by far the most hilarious of them all. Imagine if Donghae read it.”

 

“Call Donghae now and tell him to give you the Ipad!” Dara said urgently. “Where’s your phone?”

 

“It’s with Seung Hyun, what happened to yours?”

 

Dara pouted feeling dejected. She slouched back down on her seat and muttered, “Donghae said he’ll block me if I called again…”

 

“What’s that?” Bom asked not hearing her.

 

Dara sighed. “Can’t you call him right now and ask him where it is so we can go and get it when he’s not in the house?”

 

“Dara, what would you do if somebody called you in the middle of business just asking where a certain piece of a gadget is?”

 

Dara scowled. “Duh, I’ll hung up after I yelled at him but c’mon. This is Donghae we’re talking about. Of course he wouldn’t do what I would.”

 

Bom rolled her eyes. “Okay, I’ll text him first if he’s free to talk and if he said yes, then I’ll call him, okay?” She shook her head again grimacing. “You didn’t wrote anything more embarassing than Darahae forever did you? Like I want to have Donghae’s babies or I want to have wi—“

 

Dara swatted Bom’s face with a pillow cutting her off. “Shut up!”

 

Bom burst out laughing. “Oh my god you did, didn’t you?”

 

“No I didn’t! I wasn’t as erted as you are!” Bom was still laughing while Dara is vehemently denying that she wrote that, which she honestly didn’t, of course. But that is seriously more acceptable than what she wrote anyway. A 30 year-old woman writing love woes in a diary? Or Sandara Park, CEO of SP Entertainment, the perfectionist, the tyrannical boss, writing love notes, secret letters in a diary? Her reputation would be in tatters if any of those got out.

 

After packing her suitcase with Bom relentlessly teasing her, Dara drove back to SP bringing a box in her office to get some of her important stuff to bring to New York. She looked up when someone knocked on her open door and Jiyong walking in with one of his hands in his pocket. He watched her as she placed her framed pictures, her trophies and awards inside the box.

 

“So, you’re really leaving huh?”

 

“Why? Did it look like I was joking?” Dara asked with a lopsided smile.

 

Jiyong shrugged. “I was kinda hoping you’d changed your mind.”

 

Dara closed the box after making sure she’s got everything she needs. She looked at Jiyong. “I did. For a hundredth time. But then it changed right back.”

 

Jiyong sighed. “You’re doing all this? For him?”

 

“Why does everybody think that?” Dara said exasperated. “I’m doing this because of me too. Eventhough I’m inlove with that guy, not everything I do is about him.” Although at this point, it might probably be true but she doesn’t need to confirm that.

 

“Right,” Jiyong said.

 

“I just want to start new.” Dara tried that reason one more time. “Begin a new life. Is that so difficult to believe?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Dara glared at him. His one word response is irritating her. He looked like he doesn’t believe her. She one of her hands on her hip.

 

“Did you come here to mock me?”

 

Jiyong looked surprised. “What? No!”

 

Dara glowered at him and Jiyong tried to soothe her. “I just… I just think… now don’t get mad at me okay? I just think you’re running away.”

 

Dara opened to retort but Jiyong went on. “You used to tell me if I had problems I should face them and that running away is for cowards. Please don’t throw that! That’s your first award!” Jiyong put his hands up as Dara grabbed one of the trophy in the box to hurl at him but then realized that it is her first trophy. She gently put it back down again. When did she get so violent? She feels like it doesn’t take much for anyone to light a fuse on her temper lately.

 

Jiyong let out a breath afer seeing Dara placed the trophy back in the box. “I just… I just don’t know what you’re so afraid of.”

 

“I’m not afraid,” Dara said before looking at Jiyong again before realizing that she isn’t. She’s terrified. Terrified at what will happen if she stayed. Frightened at the possiblity that the people she loves would realize she isn’t worth loving after all and would eventually leave her. Scared that Donghae would lose his company and realize she isn’t worth all those trouble. Petrified that she would turn back to the way she was and Donghae would get tired of her then leave her. Panicked at the thought that she would be alone for the rest of her existence. “I’m not,” she repeated softly as her gaze drifted down.

 

Jiyong just watched her face playing emotions she’s unable to voice out. He sighed again before forcing a smile. “I understand. It might be awkward for me to say this but… I’m… really gonna miss you.”

 

Dara eyes lifted back up at him again, still had that haunted look in her her eyes. It took a moment for her to register what Jiyong said. She glowered again. “I won’t.”

 

Jiyong chuckled. “That’s not very nice.”

 

“Who said I was to begin with?” Dara asked as she lifted the box.

 

 

 

 

 

Bom checked her phone again if Donghae had responded to her text message if he’s free to talk and still see no response. She put her phone on the table and sipped her tea all the while thinking on the ridiculous task Dara had put her up with. She muttered under her breath as she picked her phone up again and sent another text message to Donghae.

 

Donghae. Matter of life and death. Please let me know if you’re free to talk. I need your response now.

 

“What’s gotten you riled?”

 

Bom looked up at Seung Hyun and she sighed. Seung Hyun had agreed to go with her at Donghae’s to pick up Dara’s stuff late that afternoon and they had just stopped by at a Bubble Tea house just waiting on Donghae’s response so she would know where he kept Dara’s ipad.

 

“Donghae’s not responding,” Bom said.

 

“Why don’t we just go there and get what Dara needs?”

 

“Ugh… it’s because of that stupid IPad,” Bom said rolling her eyes. She proceeded in telling Seung Hyun why it’s imperative that the mysterious ipad should be retrieved. She doesn’t see any point in trying to stop Donghae or anyone else for that matter in reading it but given how Dara is reacting, she guessed her best friend must’ve written all those secret fantasies she had that she’s denying. She can’t wait until she get her hands on them so she could read them herself and Dara will never hear the end of it, she swear.

 

Seung Hyun smiled after Bom’s narrative. “And you don’t want to tell Donghae about Dara’s… feelings… for him?” He sipped his own tea. “Hmmm.”

 

Bom narrowed her eyes. “What’s that hmmm?”

 

Seung Hyun grinned. “It just surprises me, that’s all.” Bom raised her brow in question and Seung Hyun continued. “You actually shutting up on a secret.”

 

“Hey! I can keep a secret!”

 

“Only for a day,” Seung Hyun said chuckling.

 

“Okay, maybe you’re right,” Bom relented. “Ugh, you have no idea how much I am itching to go tell Donghae what Dara’s warped mind is trying to execute. It’s bad enough that I have watched their one-sided, unrequited-which-is-really-not love story but to be involved in it? It’s torture.” She dragged out the last word.

 

Seung Hyun put his hand underneath his chin and just watched his wife do her monologue.

 

“I don’t know why I’m shutting up anyway. It’s not like Dara had made me promise not to tell or something. But I know she would literally kill me if I did. I knew Donghae already likes her when we’re just trainees at Hits. Dara is probably the most dense person there is. Sometimes I really think I’m smarter than her. Which is probably true anyway. I just didn’t want to hurt her feelings. And Donghae?” She shook her head incredulously. “How could he be so clueless? I mean I can totally understand his doubts given the way Dara had treated him but come on. Even I wasn’t that stupid. If you suddenly tell me you’re giving me your shares, your company, your everything, your dreams in a nutshell, I would think there is really something going on there, I mean what the hell was that? You tell me you don’t love me but you’re giving me everything that you are made of? God, I can’t believe I’m friends with two idiots.”

 

Seung Hyun smiled after Bom finished ranting. “Remind me again of the girl who had ran away and hid on a remote island just to get away from me because she was still under the impression that I was just trying to get back at her for dumping me in high school?”

 

Bom opened but Seung Hyun cut her off. “And the girl who believed I was just playin’ her when I asked her to marry me?”

 

“Hey, you really did came back just to get back at me for dumping you in high school,” Bom retorted.

 

“That was my original intent, yes,” Seung Hyun admitted. “But my plans changed. And that is even before I found out why you had dumped me.”

 

“Awww…. “ Bom gushed. She could still remember how she had ran away to Daebudo where her grandmother lived and tried to nurse her broken heart. She and Dara had been on the outs and she doesn’t know where to go or who to turn to so she opted to just spend some time near the ocean and tried to find some inner peace. It was 4 days after when Seung Hyun suddenly appeared in front of her looking tired and dishevelled but mad as hell then grabbing her hand and slipping the ring on her finger while reprimanding her for acting childish. He demanded that she should marry her as she already made his life a living hell and she should compensate for those days she had made him miss her. Bom was shocked but she retaliated by picking a loose branch and hit him with it yelling not to play with her anymore. It took Seung Hyun a lot of coaxing to make her realize he was serious.

 

Bom sighed at the recollection. She had the sweetest husband.

 

“If you had only told me you were still head over heels for me to begin with, you could’ve saved yourself from hiring a private investigator to track me down.” Bom sipped her tea wanting to point out that that is the point. Tell each other’s feelings to prevent all this running away and stuff but Seung Hyun cut her off just as she was about to open .

 

“The private investigator didn’t find you, Bom. Dara told me where to find you.”

 

Bom smile faded looking surprised. “She did?”

 

“Yep,” Seung Hyun said absentmindedly as he took out his phone and checking for some messages. “She practically threatened me that she’ll skin me alive and fry me in a bonfire if I hurt you again before telling me where I can find you.”

 

Bom’s eyes brimmed with tears. “But we weren’t speaking to each other at that time.” She doesn’t know why but her emotions are overwhelming her at the thought that Dara actually cared on what was happening to her. She had honestly thought her best friend already discarded her at those times they weren’t on speaking terms and it turned out she was wrong. “Dara, you idiooot!!” She wailed and burst out crying.

 

Seung Hyun looked up from his phone, his eyes widening as he saw his wife wailing across from him. The people inside the tea house are now looking in their direction and Seung Hyun awkwardly smiled reaching for Bom’s hand.

 

“Uh… honey…,” Seung Hyun said. “Please stop. People are thinking I’m bullying you.”

 

Bom sobbed loudly grabbing a tissue and wiping her eyes. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s wrong with me….” She cried again. “I just feels so touched, you know. That Dara will tell you that even though she knows I can do it myself. She is still trying to take care of me even if we weren’t talking for almost 3 years. 3 years! I’m so glad she’s my best friend.” She sobbed loudly while Seung Hyun felt his face flaming as almost all of the people in the Tea house are now watching them with pointed eyes.

 

Bom blew her nose out on the tissue then lifted her face with a determined expression. “I’m going to talk to Donghae. Or better yet, I’m going to tell him to read Dara’s diary.” She looked at Seung Hyun. “Maybe we should move out of the house for a while once Dara found out I did that. Just in case.”

 

“Uh… you sure you want to do that?” Seung Hyun asked.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter