aqua; Mark/Yugyeom

30 Day Challenge

“What do you mean, you can’t swim? You’re from L.A., how is that possible?” Yugyeom’s mouth falls open in shock. Mark shifts in his seat.

 

“I know how to not drown, but I can’t, like, move myself through the water with anything resembling dignity,” Mark shrugs, his cheeks turning pink. “That’s why I need your help. I don’t want to make an out of myself in front of everyone else,” Mark looks down, scratching his fingernail against the smooth surface of the lunch table.

 

“Just in front of me?” The words are out of Yugyeom’s mouth before he realises he’s even thought them.

 

“Uh, yeah, I guess,” Mark chuckles nervously, the pink colour intensifying. “I figured you wouldn’t, like, give me too much for it,” Mark shrugs again, his eyes still downcast.

 

“I won’t!” Yugyeom sits up straighter in his seat. “I mean it, I didn’t mean anything just now, I’m just surprised and–” Mark holds a finger to his lips.

 

“I get it,” Mark says, finally looking Yugyeom in the eye again. “So, are you in?”

 

“Of course,” Yugyeom nods when Mark removes his finger. “What would be a good time for you?”

 

“I should be asking you that,” Mark giggles, his sharp canine teeth flashing and his warm, brown eyes sparkling. Yugyeom’s heart flutters in his chest.

 

“Uh, I’m basically free whenever,” Yugyeom coughs slightly, his hand rubbing the back of his neck. Mark raises his eyebrows. “How about Thursday at seven? The pool at my complex is usually empty at that time.”

 

“Sounds good, I’ll see you then,” Mark nods with a smile. He takes one last bite of his rice before he picks up his tray and leaves the table.

 

“Oooh, was that a date?” Bambam leans over from the next table, wiggling his eyebrows ostentatiously.

 

“Shut up,” Yugyeom rolls his eyes, hiding his smile behind his box of milk.

 

 

 

It’s been three years since Yugyeom quit the swim team, but he still helps young children learn how to swim, so it isn’t too difficult to help Mark. Of course, he’s never so conscious about how his body looks when he’s showing three year olds how to float on their backs. Yugeyom has spent years standing on blocks in nothing but a Speedo in front of bleachers full of strangers, but he finds himself covering his chest with a hand more often than not when Mark’s eyes are on him.

 

“Relax your shoulders. You’ve got a strong kick, but the tension in your shoulders is what’s tripping you up and sending you off course,” Yugyeom puts his hands on Mark’s shoulders and massages them slightly. The tension instantly bleeds out of them.

 

“Like this?” Mark breathes, looking over his shoulder. His wet, red hair is flat against his head and there are beads of pool water on his lips. Yugyeom gulps.

 

“Y-yeah, just like that. Uh, try going across to the wall again,” he drops his hands from Mark’s shoulders and takes a step back.

 

Mark nods and bites his lip, his face screwed up for a moment before he pushes off the wall. The pool isn’t very big, so he doesn’t have far to go, but it takes a while for him to get there. Yugyeom is actually able to wade in the water beside him as he goes. Still, he finally got the right.

 

“How was that?” Mark pants once he makes it to the other end, wiping his face with a hand.

 

“You did great,” Yugeyom gives him two thumbs up. “Watch out, Michael Phelps. Mark Tuan isn’t too far behind you.”

 

Mark grins widely, his cheeks slightly flushed from exertion and the pool lights making his eyes shine. Yugyeom stops breathing for a moment. His feet slip out from under him and chlorinated water floods his nose and mouth as Mark crashes into his chest, his arms wrapping around Yugyeom’s neck.

 

“Oh, , I’m so sorry. I didn’t think I pushed off the wall that hard,” Mark frets the second the both of them break the surface.

 

“It’s okay, I’ll be alright,” Yugyeom coughs, his nose burning.

 

Mark bites his lip. Yugyeom’s entire body tenses up and the air vacates his lungs when he realises that Mark is pressed up right against him, that the other boy’s arms are still loosely wrapped around his neck. All his thoughts turn to static. The static turns into white noise as Mark leans forward and presses their lips together.

 

“Sorry,” Mark mumbles as he pulls away. “I didn’t–”

 

“No, don’t–” Yugyeom wraps his arms around Mark’s slim waist and follows his departing lips.

 

He’s able to enjoy the softness of Mark’s lips for about two seconds before his feet slip out from under him again and he’s plunging face first into the water again. Yugyeom comes to his senses once they both hit the bottom of the pool; he finds his footing again and drags the both of them back to the surface.

 

“Sorry, I kind of…slipped,” Yugyeom coughs as he tries to expel the water from his nose and lungs.

 

“How about we call it a day before we both drown?” Mark laughs, his breath coming in sputters.

 

“Good idea,” Yugyeom pounds at his own chest.

 

They climb the stairs leading to dry land and wrap themselves up in their towels. Yugyeom is about to head off back inside, when he’s stopped by a warm hand on his elbow. He blinks as soft, wet lips meet his own, Mark’s eyelashes gently brushing his face. This time he’s quick to respond, his arms wrapping around Mark’s waist as he the faint taste of chlorine out of the other boy’s mouth