howl; Jackson + JB

30 Day Challenge

 

“Come on, you’ve almost got it. Just throw your head back and do it like this: Awoooo!” Jackson leans back in demonstration, gesturing for the tiny bundle of fur to follow him. She replicates the head movement perfectly, but the sound that comes out of is barely more than a squeak. Jackson’s heart melts as her ears and tail droop down.

 

“Awww, don’t be upset. Just keep trying, you’ll get it eventually,” he scratches behind her ears with one hand and runs the other down her spine. Before he can get to her tail, she flops on her back, presenting her belly to him. The sight makes him chuckle. “You’re such a spoiled little baby, do you know that?” He rubs her belly nonetheless.

 

“Jackson? What are you doing?” Jackson jumps to his feet as Jaebum enters the room. The older boy’s eyes narrow as he takes in the several uncleaned cages inside the kennel area. Jackson can only shrug with a sheepish look on his face. “It’s good that you’re getting along so well with our clients’ pets, but you’re here to work, not play.”

 

“Right, sorry, boss,” Jackson salutes. Jaebum rolls his eyes at the title, the way he always does. “I just wanted to teach Ellie a new trick to show her owners when they get back. She’s almost got it too. Ellie, howl!” Jackson points his finger at the puppy, but she just it, her short tail wagging behind her.

 

“I can see your time has been well spent,” Jaebum says dryly. Jackson pouts. “Just finish with your duties and then you can play with the dog.”

 

“Alright,” Jackson sighs, nudging Ellie back into her cage and turning away to resume cleaning the other cages.

 

“Ooo!”

 

He quickly turns his heel. “Ellie, did you just–?”

 

“Woooo!”

 

He jumps up and down in excitement, a wide grin stretching his cheeks. “She howled! You see that, Jaebum?”

 

Jaebum shakes his head fondly, laughing despite himself. “Yes, I see. Congratulations. Now finish your work.”

 

“Aye-aye, Captain!” Jackson salutes.