10. sweat; Jackson + JB + Bambam

30 Day Challenge

“39.5°C; looks like his fever’s finally starting to break,” Jaebum says thoughtfully as he checks the thermometer.

 

Jackson frowns. “Isn’t that still really high though?” Bambam shivers in his sleep and Jackson immediately tucks the blankets around him tighter. The sight makes a smile tug at Jaebum’s lips.

 

“It’s high, yes, but not dangerously so and fevers have a purpose, remember? So long as we keep his body warm and his head cool, he’ll be fine,” Jaebum nods confidently. “You really don’t have to hover over him the whole time,” he chuckles slightly. “I know you love to call him your baby, but he’s not actually an infant.”

 

“Yeah, I guess so,” Jackson mumbles, making no move to leave his post. Jaebum rolls his eyes fondly. Jackson is taking Bambam’s little flu even worse than Yugyeom–the only reason their youngest member isn’t glued to Bambam’s other side is a schedule–but even he has the excuse of being a teenager. “Is it alright for him to be sweating so much?” Jackson bites his lip.

 

“That’s perfectly normal. We just have to keep him hydrated.” Jaebum claps his hands together, “Speaking of which, I’m going to see how his soup is going.” Jaebum exits the youngest members’ bedroom, heading off to the kitchen while Jackson dabs at Bambam’s face with a soft cloth.

 

Jaebum isn’t the best cook in the group, but with Jinyoung off filming with the others, he’s had to step up. Luckily, samgyetang isn’t too far out of his range. It won’t taste amazing, but it will be decent enough and, most importantly, it will replenish the younger boy’s lost electrolytes. Steam rises to meet his face as he lifts the cover from the pot, tiny beads of sweat instantly forming on his brow. A drop has gained enough body to roll down his nose by the time he ladles some of the soup into a bowl. He wipes it off with the back of his hand and carries a tray into Bambam’s room.

 

“Can you nudge him awake?” Jaebum asks Jackson as he rests the tray on Yugyeom’s bed.

 

Jackson leans down and slips an arm around the younger boy’s shoulders, pulling him up in a sitting position against the headboard. “Hey, Bambam, it’s time to wake up and have some soup,” Jackson says softly as he gently ruffles the boy’s hair.

 

“Nrg, ‘kay,” Bambam mumbles, his eyes slowly opening.

 

“Make sure it’s not too hot for him, okay?” Jackson fusses, brushing newly dyed blue hair off the younger boy’s face. Jaebum rolls his eyes behind Jackson’s back, but he still blows on the spoonfuls of soup he holds up to Bambam’s mouth. The younger boy must truly be getting better; he easily manages to slurp down about two thirds of the soup before he hits the wall and struggles to finish what’s left in the bowl. “Come on, just a few more spoonfuls. You can do it,” Jackson whispers encouragingly, gently knocking their heads together.

 

“Alright,” Bambam sigh long-sufferingly, opening his mouth wider for Jaebum to push the spoon past his lips. Jackson meticulously wipes away the stray drops of soup that don’t make it into the boy’s mouth.

 

When they’re finally finished, Jaebum hands Bambam a couple of nondescript pills and passes him the bottle of water sitting beside his bed. “Just take these and then you can sleep for a few more hours.”

 

“I’m kinda tired of sleeping, but I’m too weak to do anything else,” Bambam groans. Jackson pats his head sympathetically.

 

“Go to sleep,” Jaebum says firmly. “Resting helps your body fight the virus. The more you sleep, the sooner you’ll be back to full health.” Bambam heaves a sigh, but he slumps back onto the bed, his eyes falling closed before his head hits the pillow. “There’s some soup leftover,” Jaebum says to Jackson, nodding his head in the direction of the kitchen. Jackson frowns, his eyes drifting down to where Bambam lightly snores. “He’ll be fine for ten minutes. Besides, you need to take care of yourself to be able to look after him.’

 

“I guess so,” Jackson relents, slowly rising from the bed. Jaebum grabs him by the arm and pulls him to the door before he can change his mind and ask Jaebum to bring him a bowl so he can eat and watch Bambam at the same time. “Alright, alright.  I’m going,” Jackson chuckles as Jaebum all but shoves him out the room.

 

Looking back, Jaebum notices one of Bambam’s arms hanging off the end of the bed. He moves the boy’s arm back on the bed and tucks his covers around him. Jaebum dabs some perspiration off Bambam’s forehead before he tears open a new cold pack and rests it there.

 

“Thanks, hyung,” Bambam mumbles in his sleep.

 

“You’re welcome,” Jaebum says, not sure who’s actually being thanked. “Try and get better quickly, for Jackson’s sake as well as your own.” Bambam’s lips twitch in something that might be a smile or just sleep movements. Jaebum ruffles his hair and heads back out to the kitchen before Jackson can finish all of the remaining soup.