heart; JB/Mark

30 Day Challenge

If asked to describe his boyfriend, Mark could think of a lot of things–hardworking, driven, handsome, surprisingly cute and clumsy–but ‘romantic’ is not one of them. Jaebum won’t ever forget to get a card and a gift for Mark on his birthday or their anniversary, but it’s not in Jaebum’s nature to buy Mark flowers just because or to wake him up with breakfast in bed. The last thing he expected as he stepped into their apartment is to find the other man spinning anxiously in the kitchen, his pitch black hair dusted with white, a mess of something pink and vicious covering the front of his shirt and golden brown crumbs covering his mouth.

 

“Jaebum?” Mark blinks as he heads over to the kitchen, tilting his head in curiosity. Jaebum all but break his neck as he turns his head at the sound of Mark’s voice. “What are you doing?” Mark’s eyes flit about, taking in the mess on the floor and the countertop.

 

“Um, I, uh,” Jaebum sputters, his eyes gaping even wider than his mouth.

 

Ding!

 

“Were you, were you baking something?” Mark asks, suppressing the smile that threatens to take over his face as he puts it all together. “Were you making me a present for Valentines Day?”

 

Jaebum opens his mouth, looking like he’s about to try to deny it, when his expression changes and his shoulders slump. “Yes,” he mumbles his admission, sheepishly scratching the back of his head.

 

Mark lets the smile that he’s been holding back bloom on his face. “Awww, that’s sweet of you,” Mark giggles as he crosses the rest of the distance between them and goes to wrap his arms around Jaebum’s neck.

 

“Hey, careful,” Jaebum holds him back with one hand, gesturing to the sticky mess on his clothes with the other. Mark just holds him by the cheeks and pulls his face in for a kiss. “I better get those out of the oven. Don’t want them to burn like the–um, never mind,” he mumbles, pulling away to grab the oven mittens. Mark rubs his hands together in anticipation, but his smile slips a bit when he peeks over Jaebum’s shoulder.

 

“Uh, you baked me cloud-shaped cookies? Huh, well, that’s kind of unorthodox, but not in a bad way,” Mark says pensively. Jaebum’s shoulders droop again. “What?”

 

“They’re supposed to be hearts, not clouds,” he grumbles. Oh. “’s sake!” Jaebum hurls the oven mitts against the nearest wall. “I thought I got the shape right this time.”

 

Mark lifts his hands to his boyfriend’s shoulders and gently kneads away the tension in them. “I like that they’re shaped like clouds. Hearts are such a cliché anyway,” Mark leans in and kisses him on the cheek.

 

“Yeah, I guess,” Jaebum chuckles lowly. “If nothing else, they should taste alright, even without the frosting.” Mark spins him around and opens his mouth wide, sticking out his tongue. Jaebum smiles fondly, blowing on a cloud/heart cookie before he places it on Mark’s tongue. “How is it?”

 

“Um…” Mark tries to gulp down the cookie before his face can contort too much, but he fails when a wave of saltiness hits his taste buds. “Water, please,” he croaks, doubled over onto his knees. “Why is it so salty?” he asks after he’s drained an entire glass.

 

“Salty?” Jaebum’s brows furrow. He pops one of the heart-clouds into his mouth, his face screwing up almost immediately. “Oh , I think I mixed up the salt and the sugar.” Mark ducks his head to hide his laughter, but his shaking shoulders probably give him away. “Ah, this is why I don’t try to be spontaneous and romantic; I’m ing terrible at it,” Jaebum sighs, running a hand through his hair.

 

Mark straightens and pulls the hand from out of Jaebum’s hair, replacing it with his own as he brings their lips together. “I love the fact that you tried,” he whispers against Jaebum’s lips. Jaebum smiles softly, leaning in for another kiss. Mark pulls away just before Jaebum can slip his tongue in his mouth. “Though, yeah, next time you probably should just buy a box of chocolates and call it a day,” he says with a cheeky grin.

 

“You ungrateful bastard!” Jaebum throws his arms around Mark’s waist and pulls the other man right up against his chest.

 

“My sweater!” Mark cries as he feels the thick, sticky frosting ooze through the fabric. “I’ll make you pay for that, Jaebum,” Mark growls playfully as he pushes Jaebum’s shoulders and wrestles him to the ground.

 

“Go ahead, I think I like where this is going,” Jaebum smirks up at Mark.

 

“Shut up,” Mark says shortly before he leans down, his lips twitching. “Happy Valentines Day.”