Day 52

100 Days of Rain

When I arrived in China, the first thing I did was go to Hannie and my old apartment that Zhou Mi owned. Dong Hae went his own way and went shopping. He said he could fend for himself. I bet he could do better than me. He knew Chinese and I didn't. Maybe I should learn.

I went up the familiar stairs to the apartment. I knocked on the door. No answer. I knocked again. Nothing. I turned the handle. It was open. I walked inside. "Hannie!! Han Geng-ah!!" I yelled. No reply.

I walked into our bedroom and found Henry sleeping on the bed. "Henry!" I screamed, running over to him. The bed was a tangled mess of sheets and Henry was huddled deep inside the blankets like a cocoon. "Henry!" I said, shaking him awake.

His eyes fluttered open slowly. "Hee Chullie hyung!!" he shouted, flinging his arms around my neck.

"How're you doing, baby?" I asked. "Is the Wookie thing resolved?"

"How could I think about Ryeo Wook at a time like this?!" he screamed, his face contorted with fear, sadness, and a tinge of hope.

I stared at him confusedly. "Hee Chul hyung!" I heard Zhou Mi shout from the doorway. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see Han Geng again," I replied.

I saw him bite his lower lip. "I-I don't think you want to..." he said softly.

"What? What happened to him?!" I asked, scared now.

"Come on!" Henry said, grabbing me by the hand and leading me out to their car. They drove me to the hospital, and for the first time in a long time... The rain made me sad. There was lightning too.

I ran up the flights of stairs that led to Han Geng's room, or so Henry and Zhou Mi said. I burst into the room to find Han Geng asleep, like REALLY asleep, in the hospital bed.

"Do you want the bad news, the worse news, or the worst first?" Henry asked.

"Whichever one helps me lessen the pain..." I said, my eyes never leaving Han Geng's face, sadness, fear, and despair slowly engulfing my heart.

"Ryeo Wook's getting married to Ye Sung," Henry said. "That's the bad news."

"Han Geng's sick, Hee Chul-ah," Zhou Mi said. "The doctors won't tell us what it is, but he's really sick. You saw the illness eating him alive, but you didn't know back then..."

"The worst news..." Henry began. "It's incurable... Han Geng's going to die."

Once I heard that I broke down in tears. And just like back then when I cried, Han Geng immediately woke up to my whimpering and said, "Hee Chul-ah! Don't cry!"

He got out of bed and hugged me tight. "What are you doing back in China?" he asked.

"I wanted to see you again. I want to be with you," I murmured.

He shook his head sadly. "Hee Chul-ah..." he said softly. "I'm dying... That's why I sent you back to Korea."

I just shook my head and hugged him tightly. "Henry, MiMi, can you leave us alone for a while?" Han Geng asked.

They left without another word and Han Geng and I laid on the hospital bed. "How long have you been here?" he asked me.

"I just got here today," I answered.

He sighed, and while moving my bangs aside, he murmured, "Why did you have to come back?"

"Because I can't live without you!" I almost yelled. "You can't live without me either. You said so before! Han Geng, your my promise..."

Han Geng wrapped his arms around me and gestured toward the window. "You see the lightning?" he asked. I nodded. "Lightning is the symbol that everything in life just turned around."

I glared at him and he continued. "I'm no longer a rainbow, Hee Chul. You've been struck by lightning. Everything's going to change now... I'm not a rainbow anymore. I'm rain. And you know what you have to do with rain, right, Chullie?"

I shook my head violently and then buried my face into his shoulder. "No! I won't believe it! None of this is happening! You're not dying! And I'm not letting you go!"

He just hugged me tightly. I cried myself to sleep in his arms. The last thing he said through heavy tears was, "Mianhae, Hee Chul... Saranghae... But... Even a rainbow... A rainbow doesn't last forever, Chullie..."