Day 92

100 Days of Rain

I woke up this morning with no warmth beside me and with Henry shaking my shoulder violently. "Hyung! Hyung! Wake up! We have to go!" he screamed.

I sat up slowly. I looked at the clock and yelled back, "It's ing three in the morning?! What the hell do you want, Henry?!"

Henry just glared at me and dragged me out of the apartment, draping one of Han Geng's many leather jackets over my shoulders and shoving a pair of jeans and a more decent T-shirt into my arms before hauling me downstairs to his car. "Where's MiMi?" I asked absentmindedly.

Henry eyed me coldly for the first time. "A better question," he said. "Where's Han Geng?"

Suddenly realization dawned upon me as Henry sped up to reach our destination quicker. When we reached the hospital, I flung myself up the stairs without waiting for Henry, much less an elevator. I crashed right into Zhou Mi's arms, which prevented me from going into Han Geng's room. "I have to see him!" I shouted.

Zhou Mi shook his head and sat me on the bench outside the room. "They won't let us in, Hee Chul," he said.

I punched the wall. It wasn't fair. The one thing I actually cared about and loved was going to be gone soon and they won't even let me say goodbye... Of course, there was always the rain. I did love it. I always want to go outside when it rains. I always smile. I love it. I embrace it. I loved rain already, so why was it still here? And the lightning... Why have any need for that?! I loved rain! Did the heavens want that to change all of a sudden?! I cried silently on Zhou Mi's shoulder.

Once the doors of Han Geng's room were opened, I was the first one admitted in to see him. He and I spent most of the day with just us two talking on his bed. Henry and Zhou Mi came in every once in a while to see if we needed anything. I always said no. All I needed was my Hannie, my rainbow, my promise to a better future. That memory seemed so long ago.

It was about four in the afternoon now. Henry came in. "Anything you need?" he asked.

Han Geng gave him a slip of paper. "Give it to MiMi. He knows what to do with it," Han Geng said.

Henry nodded and left. "What was that?" I asked.

"You'll know when you see it," he answered.

I sighed. "Hee Chullie," he said. "If I do die on this bed... Immediately, right after my heart has stopped beating for five consecutive minutes, I want you to order the doctors to have my body cremated.  Zhou Mi knows where. After that, buy the fastest airplane tickets to Korea and bury my ashes underneath the bench where we first met."

I shook my head, tears falling, as he said this. He took one of my hands into his and caressed my cheek with the other, wiping the teardrops. For a moment, all I could hear was the sound of rain falling outside. And then he spoke, "Promise me that you'll do this?" It was like a whisper, not even. It was a breath.

I let my tears fall freely and I hugged him tightly, nodding. "Kiss me," he said. "Your kiss will seal this promise. Right now, I'm going to put a giant burden on your shoulders and ask you to promise me a lot of things. Each thing that I want you to do, I want you to seal with a kiss on my lips. That way, I know that you will keep it."

I just nodded and gave him a light, chaste kiss on the lips. "Promise me that you'll stay in contact with Zhou Mi and Henry," he said. "Move in with them even, if you want to."

Another kiss upon his lips.

"Promise me that you will try not to commit suicide or harm yourself in any way."

Kiss...

"Promise me that when it rains you will smile."

Kiss...

"And promise me that you will still love me forever and ever. That means, not falling in love with other men or women, or going out and having like a just because you're depressed or anything like that."

A last kiss... Deep... Passionate... Breathtaking... Loving... Sweet... Somehow gentle... Somewhat sad... But above all, heavenly...

"I love you, Hee Chul," Han Geng whispered softly, twirling my hair between his fingers.

"I love you too, Hannie..." I murmured. And then I fell asleep against the warmth that is Han Geng.