Day 85

100 Days of Rain

Zhou Mi and I have been in Korea for seventeen days now. Han Geng would steal Henry's phone every night so that he and I would talk until I passed out. Right before we'd hang up, Han Geng would always tell me, "Keep counting the days, princess."

I'd tell him every day what day it is since we met, since the unending rain started. As Zhou Mi and I were in the park, me being the one playing around like a child to forget Han Geng's condition and Zhou Mi being like my parent, Henry called. I'd taken Zhou Mi's phone this morning because I'd been texting Han Geng, but he said he had something to do. I picked up the phone instantly. "Henry! What happened?!" I screamed.

"Han... Han Geng... He's gone..." he said softly.

"What the hell do you mean 'gone'?!?!" I yelled.

"He's just... Gone... He snuck out of the hospital a few hours ago I think, while no one was watching his room and I was out buying groceries. I'm sorry, Hee Chul hyung, but I don't know where he--"

I snapped the phone shut and jumped down from the swing. "Zhou Mi!" I yelled. "We're going back to China. NOW!!" I grabbed him by the wrist and demanded him to drive us to the airport.

"What's this about?" he asked as we boarded the plane after buying last minute plane tickets.

"Henry called," I said. "He said Han Geng's missing."

"What do you mean missing?" he asked.

"I mean gone! He snuck out! They can't find him!" I yelled. A passenger behind us went, "Shhh~~" But I ignored her and was about retort with a rude comment and some inappropriate hand gestures and Chinese swearing that Han Geng had taught me, but Zhou Mi stopped me once he spotted me turning slightly in my seat with that 'I-am-annoyed-pissed-and-worried-as-hell-so-don't-you-ing-dare-to-mess-the--with-me-or-I'll-curse-you-straight-out-with-as-much-ing-rudeness-as-possible-' look.

"Listen," Zhou Mi said, a hand on my arm. "I bet Han Geng's fine. We'll all find him. Don't worry."

I pulled my arm away from him and murmured, "Bull... Since when did I ever not worry about Han Geng?"

Zhou Mi sighed and took my hand into his. He kissed my fingers, which were cold and stiff due to the cold rain that we'd gone through a while ago. I used his shoulder as a pillow as I stared out at the grey clouds that cried down on the earth below. I whimpered when I spotted the giant streak of electricity crackling through the sky as we took off. I will fight the lightning, I thought to myself. I'm not letting Han Geng go... Lightning will not change my life...

Once we landed in China, Henry was already at the airport waiting for us with his car. "Why aren't you out looking for Hannie?!" I screamed at him when I saw Henry.

Henry just bowed his head and stifled a cry as he hugged me. I immediately felt sorry for yelling at him and apologized, hugging him tightly and kissing his forehead.

As we climbed into the car, Henry explained all the places that he, Dr. Si Won, and the police have searched--the stores, the hospital, his apartment. A place suddenly popped into my mind. "Go to the park across from Hannie's apartment," I ordered. There were no protests, comments, or questions. They just did as I asked. I knew where he would be. The day he ran from the apartment thinking I loved Henry, this was where I found him.

Even if the police searched every single part of the park, only he and I knew a special hiding spot in it where it was like a cave overhanging above your head. And when it rained, the water rain down the hood of the cave and cascaded down to create a waterfall in front of the cave, concealing those who were hidden inside. This particular spot was located between the trees in the center of the park. It looked like a jungle in the middle of an oasis. I told Henry and Zhou Mi to stay in the car and I continued on into the forest-like center of the park, not minding the rain at all.

I found Han Geng huddled underneath the cave, the rainwater splashing all around it. I ran to Han Geng and tackled him. He just looked completely bewildered and hugged me tighter. "Hee Chul! What... What are you doing here?" he asked.

I slapped him on the arm and yelled, "Henry called and said you went missing! I had to come back and find you! Why would you scare me like that, Hannie?!?!"

"I'm sorry..." he said softly, wiping the tears from my cheek. "I... I just... Wanted to visit this place before... Before I--"

I wouldn't let him finish that sentence. I knew what he was going to say. I wouldn't let him. I crashed our lips together to make him shut up. I felt Han Geng's arms around my waist pull me closer to him as I sat on his lap. My hands tangled into his hair, playing with its softness. I tried to pull apart for air, but Han Geng kept me against him. As we breathed heavily from our deep kiss, trying to allow air back into our lungs, Han Geng asked, "How many days has it been, princess?"

I had to think for a while. "Today is the 85th," I answered.

He gave my lips a chaste kiss and got up. "Come on," he said. "We should get back to the hospital." As we walked back to the car where Zhou Mi and Henry were still waiting, I spotted something in Han Geng's eyes, an emotion. At first I thought it was regret, but I don't think that was it. It wasn't quite sadness either, nor frustration. I concluded that it was pain... Not to mention with a hint of apology. But for what? For becoming ill? For leaving the hospital and making me worry? What was bothering him?

When we got back to the hospital, Han Geng was immediately led back to his room and Zhou Mi, Henry, and I were dismissed and forced home. The next morning, I was expecting Zhou Mi by the seat in the window and Henry in my arms in bed. However, what I found was Zhou Mi and Henry sprawled on the couches and next to me in bed... Han Geng...