Day 14

100 Days of Rain

I've been staying at Han Geng's place for two weeks now. Everything has become a routine. He always cooked for me. He was very nice. It makes me feel kind of like a burden because he did all the work. I didn't know how to cook or clean. The most I could do was wash the dishes, and he wouldn't let me! Every time I went to go do the dishes, he'd pull me away and take my hands in his and put them to his lips, muttering against my hands, "You're too pretty to do work. I'll do it."

He'd kiss my fingers and then sit me on the couch. I could never go against him because what he did always made me not think straight. One day, I said, "I feel like a burden to you, Han Geng... Couldn't I do some work around the house?"

Han Geng just folded his arms around me and whispered in my ear, "No... You're not allowed to do any work... Just learn what I teach you about rain. That's payment enough."

"Why do you want me to learn about rain?!" I shouted, pushing him away.

Han Geng looked like he was about to answer when my phone rang. I picked it up and calmed myself as soon as I saw that it was Lee Teuk umma. I couldn't show him that I was distressed. "Hello?"

"Yah! Kim Hee Chul! Where the are you?!"

"U-Umma... What--"

"I saw Sung Min today... He said you weren't at his house. He you were NEVER at his house. Where the have you been for the last TWO WEEKS?!?!?!!"

I couldn't reply. "U-Umma... I..."

"You're coming home now. Where are you?"

"N-No! No! Lee Teukie umma!! I don't want to go home! I want to stay here!"

"Where is here?! I'm going to go get you, Hee Chul!"

"No! Umma! I don't want to come home! Tell Appa and Dong Hae that I say goodbye. I'm not coming home!!" and then I hung up. I was shaking, almost in tears. I felt Han Geng's arms engulf me, pulling me to his chest. I cried into his shirt.

"Shh~~" he murmured, leading me to our room. "Shh~~ Hee Chullie... Don't cry... It ruins your image."

I just gazed at him with big watery eyes. He smiled gently and my hair. He stared out the window and I followed his gaze. "It's raining..." he whispered.

I nodded. "Rain is not only just... Sad and gloomy... It can make you happy too... It... Helps you get over problems, makes you feel better, like crying. Because, once the tears stop, once the rain stops, sunshine comes."

Like magic, the skies slowly cleared up at his words and the sun came out, a rainbow following in its wake. I glanced at Han Geng. It's like his face was the sun, so bright and radiant. "And the rainbow that comes after is a new promise... A promise for a better future."

He pulled my lips to his. "I'm your rainbow, Hee Chul..."

I nodded... "My new promise to a better future..." I whispered on his lips.

I think that was when we officially decided to become a couple. At dinner, I asked, "Hannie... Can we..."

"What?"

"Can we... Move...? To China..."

He put down his chopsticks, swallowed his rice and looked at me intently. He nodded and his lips. "Under one condition, Chullie."

I glared at him. "What?" I asked.

Han Geng my cheek gently. I began to melt under his touch. He leaned forward and pecked my cheek. "When we arrive in China..." he began. I nodded for him to continue. "Please... Don't fall in love with anyone else..."

"What?"

"Hee Chul-ah~" He pushed me onto the floor and pinned me to the ground. "I love you... I know I've only known you for two weeks, but... There's something about you that I can't live without..."

"Han... Han Geng... I..."

He gazed at me with wanting eyes, eyes that I could stare at for the rest of my life. "I love you, Han Geng..." I murmured.

He just smiled and nestled his face into my neck. As we slept in bed together that night, our clothes and things already packed for our trip to China, Han Geng and I whispered promises to each other. I promised I'd never fall in love with anyone else. He promised that he'd protect me through everything. He kissed my long hair and pulled his fingers through it as we drifted off to sleep.