Day 100

100 Days of Rain

For eight straight days, I never left the hospital. Dr. Si Won actually let me sleep with Han Geng every night. I almost never left Han Geng's side. "Hee Chul," Han Geng began. "Do you want to go to the park?"

I nodded slightly. "It sounds nice to get of the hospital, neh?" I replied.

Han Geng, now wearing jeans and a T-shirt, took me the park. I can't believe the doctors let him. I played around like a child and he joined. I liked this. Why couldn't we do this more often? It was fun. Earlier this morning it had been pouring rain. It was slowly letting up throughout the day.

It was about ten at night before we got back to the hospital. Sure Dr. Si Won was worried as hell, but like Hannie or I even cared. As I laid in Han Geng's caring arms, listening to his heartbeat, which was getting softer and softer by the moment, he asked, "Do you remember everything I told you to do?"

I nodded. "Do you remember all of the promises?" he asked.

Again, I nodded. "Do you remember what I taught you about rain?"

I nodded. I didn't want to speak, though. "Do you remember what I told you about rain on the first day?"

I gazed into his brown eyes. "That rain... Is also happy..." I murmured feebly. I could feel where this was going.

"Right. So when it rains?" he said.

"I should feel happy..." I felt defeated.

"Why?"

I glared at him. I actually didn't know why. He could sense that. "Because I am rain..." he answered.

I sat up and almost slapped him in the face. [i]Almost[/i]. I ended up cupping his face in my hands and kissing him gently. "You're not rain," I said softly.

"I'm not a rainbow either, Chul-ah," he replied.

I let tears roll down my face as he cradled me in my arms. I looked at the clock. It was thirty minutes to midnight. "Do you know what day it is?" Han Geng asked.

"Day... 100..." I said heavily. Han Geng hugged me tightly, my ear pressed against his chest, my eyes watching the falling rain. It was so slight, like a thin veil of mist.

"Saranghae..." he whispered.

"Saranghae..."

The time slipped by slowly. Every tick was agony. Every tick was in sync with Han Geng's heartbeat. I watched the clock and the rain simultaneously. I heard the echo of Hannie's heartbeat and the clock striking midnight in time. And then the monitor beeped a long, dead note. As the rain ceased, tears spilled out of me. Han Geng... Was gone... Like... Like rain...

"Han Geng... I'll never forgive you for teaching me about rain..." I muttered through tears. "I love it too much..."

As instructed, after five minutes I called the doctors in to bring Han Geng's body to Zhou Mi. Zhou Mi went to the crematory himself while Henry sat at home with me, consoling me and checking for plane tickets to Korea that were scheduled to take off today.

As I sat on the plane, Zhou Mi to my right and the window to my left, Henry clutching a mysterious little drawstring pouch and a clanking in Zhou Mi's bag that he refused to let go of, I gazed out the window. For the first time in months, it was bright. The sun was shining so brilliantly that I had to squint my eyes just to see.

"Day 100..." I muttered, silent and unconscious tears streaming down my cheeks. "Exactly 100 days of unending, continuous rain... 100 days of love from Han Geng..." And then the plane lurched forward and took off.