❄ Chapter 7

Min Collection (Drabbles + Oneshots)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Underneath The Christmas Tree

That’s disgusting.

Excuse me, some people want to walk and not hear you swap spit.

Oh a date tomorrow? Shouldn’t you be with your family? Appreciate them!

Psh, I don’t need a man to carry my . I’m a strong independent woman…. well, she probably is too…. and now I’m just being rude.

Min pouted and took a sip of her coffee as she waited for the elevator to come up. She didn’t truly mean those comments. She was just stressed, tired and well, bitter. Christmas in the states was all about decorating the house in hopes that yours looks better than your neighbors, preparing a mouth-watering meal and spending time with your family. Apart from the decorations at the shopping centers and the snow on the ground outside, Christmas Eve and Christmas in Korea seemed more like two extra Valentine’s days.

Min stepped back to let the people get off and then quickly stepped inside, pushing the button for the 1st floor. She leaned back on the rail and took another sip of her warm coffee. Min internally groaned when a couple scurried inside with her. They had their arms wrapped around each other and the guy was whispering (loudly) in the girl’s ear as she giggled. Min side eyed them while sipping her coffee. If anyone saw her they would think she was planning to severely maim the lovers. The elevator dinged and the couple walked right out, probably not even noticing Min had been in there with them. She took one last gulp of her coffee and dunked it in the trashcan.

The cold air nipped her exposed face and she shivered as she carried her shopping bags to her car. She slowed down when she spotted a small crowd of children and their parents. She got closer and noticed they was a North Pole set up in the quad of the shopping center. She smiled when she saw a happy child on Santa Claus’ lap. The little girl was whispering something in his ear as he nodded and listened to her requests.

It was nice to see something familiar.

“There’s no age limit” Min blinked and turned to look at a handsome young man dressed in a elf costume fixing a fallen candy cane decoration. “It’s nice to know Santa isn’t a ageist” Min joked, looking back at Santa.

Mark glanced up at her and smiled. It wasn’t like him to talk to someone first, unless he absolutely had to, but when he saw her standing alone staring at the set up with a sad smile, he felt the urge to say something. He stepped back from the candy cane and looked around to see if any other decorations needed to be adjusted.

“I remember the first time I asked Santa for something” Min said out loud, then abruptly closed . Woah. Spill your childhood stories to some random cute stranger. That’s totally attractive and normal. Min glanced at the elf, hoping he hadn’t heard her, but to her luck he was watching her intently.“What’d you ask him for?” He asked. “Well… I don’t exactly remember what I asked for. I just remember being so excited that I got to meet him” Min was a little surprised how easily the words came out.

Mark glanced over at the line and saw it getting bigger. “What’s your wish this year? Maybe I can pass it on to the old man” A couple passed by right in front of her and Min kept her gaze on them until they disappeared into the crowds. “If he can wrap up my true love and throw him under the tree, that’d be great” Mark raised an eyebrow, “Alive right?” Min laughed, “Of course! That or a simple date, alive as well.” Mark laughed and nodded, “All right, I’ll let him know and we’ll see what he can do” Min pointed at him, “I’m holding you to that, elf”.

Mark opened his mouth to tell her his name, but closed it back up when he saw her digging for her ringing phone. She shot him an apologetic smile before answering, then turned around and put a finger over her other ear to listen better.

“Mark, can you come help me with this light?” Mark looked over at his co-worker and nodded. He glanced at Min and let out a sigh before walking over. Probably her boyfriend telling her he’s actually coming for Christmas. He pouted and instead pushed away the thought. He had to be a happy elf, at least for two more hours.

“Speak louder…okay…yeah…don’t worry I’ll pick some up right now…Irene, relax I’m sure the turkey will be great even without the stuffing…yes I know it’s not the same…okay I get it, I’ll get some. Bye” Min hanged up and shook her head. Her best friend Irene was planning a Christmas Party at her condo and even though Min didn’t live with her or ever agreed to it, she had been forced to help with the hosting. She thought since both their families were back in the states, they should have a party for their friends instead. The bags she had were small presents for them and other guests. She got her friends what she thought they would like and the guests something that anyone (she hoped) would like. For example: giant 1lb gummy bears and chocolate bars. Who wouldn’t love that?

Min’s eyebrows rose, remembering that she was having a nice conversation with a cute guy, but when she turned around he was nowhere in sight. Min frowned and let out a loud disappointed sigh, earning a look from one mothers close by. Oh well. Min thought, then shoved her hands in her pea coat’s pockets and hurried to her car with another errand to run.

Min yawned and dragged her feet towards her bedroom door. She grabbed the doorknob and furrowed her eyebrows. For some reason the memory of yesterday’s elf encounter popped into her mind. People aren’t objects to own, but Santa works in many ways…Min shook her head and slapped herself. “Ow” She rubbed her cheek and sighed, “I get I'm lonely, but c’mon. Now I’m just being pathetic”, Min mumbled, turning the doorknob and stepping into her living room. She crossed her arms around her chest and looked at her small Christmas tree placed on top of her coffee table. “You see. You’re being so pathetic that you actually thought a human being was going to appear under your tree” Min shook her head, disappointed in herself. That’d be both creepy and frightening now that I think about it. Min put her hands on her hips, “You’ll find someone one day. It doesn’t have to be on Christmas. I mean Christmas is for family and friends for goodness sakes! Besides, I’m perfectly fine alone” Min nodded once, satisfied with her scolding and went to her kitchen to prepare herself a small, but tasty, Christmas breakfast. It was true that she happy and satisfied with her life, but of course there was nothing wrong with wanting to be in a relationship. It was just the whole pressure of having a date or boyfriend during this time had been clouding her thoughts.

Min sat down on her sofa and watched Christmas movies until 4pm and despite the majority of them being romantic, she enjoyed them nonetheless. It seemed that her bitterness was finally sizzling down. “What?” Min a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter