✥ (New-ish) Chapter 21

Min Collection (Drabbles + Oneshots)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

please read author's note down below if you would like to know why I'm posting this story here! ↓

Bad Girl Good Girl

Winter Break may have ended, but winter itself wasn’t ready to leave the west coast just yet. It was the first day back to school for the students at High School of the Arts, Malibu and the weather decided to greet them with small sprinkles of water. While the other students rushed to get out of the rain, a certain senior student walked calmly carrying his umbrella and enjoying his music. The tall good-looking young man stopped walking as the streetlight changed to red. He nodded his head lightly at the beat of the song and watched the cars pass by.

When the light turned green, he jumped over the small puddle and continued to his destination. He was taken back when he saw someone run past him. No, run wasn’t the correct term. He was taken back when he saw someone dance past him. He furrowed his eyebrows at the petite girl that twirled and skipped down the street. The corners of his lips twitched when he saw her stop at the other side of the street and strike a pose. The shorthaired girl laughed at herself and continued to cheerfully skip through the streets.

I don’t think I’ve seen her around. Yunho thought as he watched the back of her hair bounce with every step. She had on a pink backpack, a long black pea coat and matching pink rain boots. As she got further away, Yunho sped up. He wanted to at least see her face. He blinked in surprise when he reached his High School. He looked around and saw the pink backpack disappear into the crowd of students. Yunho frowned. Oh well. At least I know she’s in the same school.

“Good Morning, Yunho!” “Had a nice Winter Break?” “I think you got taller?” Yunho smiled and returned a few hellos as he walked down the hallway to his locker. “What the hell is this?” Yunho asked when he saw two of his friends and dance team members standing in front of his locker with a box of chocolates. “This is our pathetic way of asking you to cancel practice” Yunho raised an eyebrow, “Didn’t I tell you both that there would be no practice the first two days back?” Eunhyuk and Donghae looked at each other then hugged Yunho “You’re the best Dance Captain ever!” “Keep the chocolates, there should still be a couple” Donghae and Eunhyuk quickly took off down the hall. Yunho rolled his eyes and opened the box of chocolates. “A couple? More like two” He mumbled, taking out the small chocolates and throwing away the box in the trashcan nearby.

“…new girl with the pink backpack?” Yunho glanced over his shoulder and saw two girls talking in front of the water fountain right across from his locker. “Yeah, the one with the weird black hair cut and messy uniform. Her tie was all lose and even the buttons on her blouse were ed, you could actually see her s!” The girl clicked her tongue, “Great, the new girl is a ” Yunho rolled his eyes and slammed his locker shut. He turned around and stared at the girls, who were now looking at him with innocent eyes. “Oh! Yunho! How are you? How was your vacation?” Yunho took notice that the girl's voice changed. “Good” He lifted his backpack and walked towards his first class.

The whole school day went by and Yunho didn’t see the new girl once. He walked down the hall a bit disappointed, but stopped when he saw her walking down the other hallway. He quickened his pace to catch a better glimpse of her, but stopped when he saw a guy bump into her. The guy dropped his textbook, but offered no apology. The petite girl didn’t bother to wait for the guy to say anything either and Yunho was surprised when he saw her step on the textbook and continue walking. “” The guy called out, but the girl either didn’t hear him since she had her headphones on, or didn’t care. Unlike the happy expression she had on this morning, she was now looking a bit solemn and intimidating. It kept him from introducing himself. She walked past Yunho without acknowledging him. The girls were right about the haircut being strange, but it complimented her round face. Yunho watched her as she walked past the school gates. He sighed and stepped out of the building. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow.

The following days Yunho had no luck approaching her. Not only did he only see her towards the end of the school, but also whenever he was around her he completely froze up. It was even more unfortunate that after school dance practice had begun and there were days when he didn’t even catch a glimpse of her. He overheard a couple of girls insult her behind her back and even heard a few rude, blood boiling comments from his male classmates as well, but Yunho ignored them all. He hated gossip and it was best he kept away from it. 

“Yunho, can you take these fieldtrip slips to the main office?” His English teacher asked, Yunho nodded and grabbed the hall pass. He took his time walking to the office, when he finally arrived he waited for one of the office ladies to get off the phone. “…I told you, I already took ballet. When I was 4” “And I told you the higher ballet classes are full” The girl who was talking to the guidance councilor let out a frustrated sigh. “Okay, but I wasn’t asking to join ballet. I want to join the hip hop team” Yunho furrowed his eyebrows. Isn’t the class just for boys though? He felt a little stupid for not knowing that, he was the captain of the Hip Hop Dance team after all.

“Ms. Lee that class is strictly for the male students” “I looked at the list of electives and I did not see 'male only' on the description section of that class. If men can take ballet easily in this school with no complaints, why the hell can’t I join the hip-hop class? If I have to try out to get in or get rejected, I’ll do it, but I will not join ballet” “Ms. Lee, I told you that class is only for boys” The girl groaned, “Oh my effin God!” “Ms. Lee!” “I’m just wasting my time here. I want to change my last class to free period, I can do that right?” “It’s not recommended...” “But I can do it” The councilor sighed in defeat, “Yes, you can” “Thank you” 

“How can I help you?” One of the women got off the phone and looked up at Yunho. “I’m here to turn in Mr. Everest’s fieldtrip slips” the woman nodded and took the folder, then signed his pass. “You may be new here, Ms. Lee, but you need to clean up that terrible attitude of yours”

Yunho stepped out of the room, but stopped when he heard the word “new”. Right when he was about to turn back around, he felt someone bump into him. He watched the girl with the pink backpack walk past him with her head down. “Hey, you should apologize when you bump into someone” Yunho called out, not meaning to sound annoyed and feeling stupid that those were his first words to her. The girl stopped and turned around, Yunho blinked in surprise when he saw her teary eyes. The girl had an angry look on her face, but she bowed her head lightly. “Sorry” She said softly, then quickly turned around and continued to walk down the hall.

Yunho frowned and walked back into the main office. “Oh, Yunho. What can I do for you?” Mrs. Gray asked politely. Yunho stepped into her office and closed the door behind him before taking a seat in front of her. “About the girl that was just here….”

“I’ll go talk to her. Councilors tend to cave when angry parents go to the school” Min’s father said, but Min continued to stuff her face with ice cream. “Don't like that lady”, Min mumbled, digging her spoon into the large mountain of vanilla ice cream. Her father sighed and put a hand on her head, “I’m sorry sweetheart, but I'll go and talk to this Mrs. Gray the day after tomorrow okay? If she still dares say no, I will go straight to the superintendent”

“Its not just the councilor, it’s the whole school. I like and respect classical music, ballet and contemporary dance, but that just isn’t for me. When I found out there was a hip hop class I was so happy” Min sighed, “I wish I could go back to my old school”, She mumbled. Her father frowned, “I know and I’m sorry about that” Min felt bad, “It’s not your fault, daddy. Mother is the one who forced me to go to that school”

Though her parents were recently divorced, they had already been living apart for a while. Min’s mother was incredibly strict and had a new family to take care of, so Min hoped that after the divorce her father would get full custody over her. Though she was allowed to live with her father, her mother got to choose her education plans. Min’s mother was never a fan of Min’s choice of dance, but if she was set on pursuing dance, Min’s mother chose a more “modest” form of dancing. Min knew that her mother was still hoping that she would change her mind when it came to her future.

Min never understood how her father was able to fall for a woman like her mother and vice versa. They were both literally opposites. When she asked her father, he simply said that he thought it would be fun and interesting to marry someone different than him. Boy, was he wrong.

“Crap, I’m going to be late for work again” Min rolled her eyes, “You’re the boss, it’s okay if you’re late” “No. It is not. I may be the boss, but I still need to set an example” Her father kissed her head and grabbed his black bag. “I’ll see you later. Behave. No parties. No boys. Blah. Blah” Min waved, “Bye daddy, have fun at work”

Min’s father was the owner and main chef of a luxurious restaurant in Malibu, but although she inherited his down to earth personality, she unfortunately didn’t inherit his ability to cook. Min finished up her ice cream and washed her plate. She jumped as her phone vibrated in her pocket. She quickly dried her hands and took out her phone. “Oh. Just an email” She scrolled down and tapped on the unopened email.

Ms. Lee,

You’ve been allowed to try out for the Hip Hop Dance Team at school. Please present yourself at the Dance Studio tomorrow during 6th period. If you’re accepted, you will be allowed to join the class. The Captain told me to tell you to have a dance routine prepared.

Mrs. Gray

 

“Huh?” Min blinked, surprised that the woman had changed her mind. Min began to jump around, “Yes! Yes! Yes! I need to go practice”, Min said, quickly grabbing a water bottle from the refrigerator and running out to the backyard.

“But what if she’s not good and we hurt her feelings and she starts to cry!” Yunho rolled his eyes at Eunhyuk. “Let’s just give her a chance”, He said. “Is she at least hot?” Donghae asked, “Does it matter? Will you vote based on her looks or dance skills?” “Dance skills I guess” Donghae mumbled. They arrived at the dance studio and saw the rest of the team waiting outside. The Hip Hop Dance class was just that, a dance class. There were about 28 guys in the class and it was usually Yunho, Eunhyuk and Donghae who taught the dances since they had more experience. They were also the ones who usually split up the group and sent the smaller teams to different competitions. Only Yunho, Eunhyuk and Donghae handled the harder and tougher competitions since the other students weren’t at that level yet. The trio was also the only group of seniors in the class; the rest of the class was made up of juniors and sophomores. Anyone could join the class so the girl didn’t actually have to try out, but Yunho used the excuse so he could see her dance. He was glad that the rest of the team didn't question him. 

Yunho opened the room and let everyone walk in first. He looked right and left, but didn’t see the girl coming. Maybe she changed her mind. He was about to step in when he heard a voice, “Wait!” Yunho saw the girl running towards him. She was wearing black sweats and black and red hoodie. She put her hands on her knees and tried to catch her breath, “I’m…I’m Min Young Lee” Min Young Lee Yunho repeated her name in his head. “I’m Yunho Chung, the Captain of the Hip Hop Team”, He said. Min took a deep breath and straightened up. Her eyes went wide when she saw his face. “Oh no” Yunho looked at her quizzically, “Oh no what?” Min blinked, “Did I say that out loud?” Yunho nodded, Min sighed and slapped lightly. Why did it have to be him? She was still frustrated that she had allowed someone to see her close to tears at school. Turns out it was the Captain of the…. Min's eyebrows shot up when she realized something. “You were there,” She pointed at him. Yunho crossed his arms around his chest, “Where?” “At the Main Office, you heard me arguing with that Gray lady. Did you ask her to give me a chance? Are you the reason she caved in?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter