Saying Goodbye...

The Dragon Couple

Before We Begin: I had a case of the feels this morning and this is the result of those feels.


‘I’m not going to cry, I’m not going to cry,’ was the mantra I kept chanting in my head as Yifan and I made our way through the throngs of people in the airport toward the terminal I needed to take to get me to Tokyo. My hand gripped his tightly, and with the pressure I was applying I was surprised that it hadn’t fallen off as some kind of sick souvenir. There were others in a similar situation to mine, lovers and mothers alike crying floods of tears as they reluctantly allowed their loved ones to pass through airport security and toward their flights.

“You aren’t going to be like that, are you?” I pointed out one young man who had to be restrained by two other people as his…lover? Sister? I don’t know...walked away from the commotion with tears in her eyes.

Yifan chuckled. “If I wanted to be drastic, I would’ve tied you to my bed and cancelled your flight.” he replied, his chuckle turning into full-blown laughter at the gaping look I plastered on.

“That’s demented.”

“No Tora, what’s demented is that these are the last ninety minutes I get to spend with you before you go look after your terminally ill grandfather.” I had to pause at that, following his gaze up to the lit board that showed the next flights. Mine was highlighted as departing in ninety minutes, as Yifan said, from Terminal 5. It’s bad enough that I’m not the best flier in the world, but to put the terminal so far away is just cruel.

I heaved a heavy sigh and turned to face the giant of a blond standing next to me. “I’m really going to miss you, Yifan.” He handed me my passport and ticket and anchored his arms around my waist, pressing his forehead to mine so I was paying attention to nothing else but him.

“We’ll see each other at your grandmother’s place once this is all over,” he said softly, “then we’ll get started on planning our next holiday together. How does Australia sound?” I had to laugh at that. Trust Yifan to make light of the situation. I didn’t even feel annoyed over the fact that making light of things was supposed to be my thing.

“I just…” I placed my head on his shoulder, willing my tears to stay in my eyes with no avail, “It feels like I’ve only seen you for a short time, and now we have to leave each other.” And I thought we weren’t going to have all the drama… ‘I’m not going to cry, I’m not going to cry, I’m not going to cry…’

“Then I’ll give you something to remember me by.” Yifan’s fingers gently gripped my chin, lifting my face up to his. Once he was satisfied with our eye contact he leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine, his other hand pulling me closer to his body. My own arms twined themselves around his neck as we moulded to each other, desperately wishing that this moment would never end. The world around us dissolved into blurred colours, and even when we pulled away slowly to catch our breaths there was still just us. Yifan’s eyes were red-rimmed, which made me think that he was holding his own tears in too.

“You’d better go,” His voice was choked and rough, “or I’m going to do something your family will hate me for.” I moved my empty hand from the back of his neck to his face, gently cupping his cheek as I felt droplets cascade slowly from his eyes. I pecked his lips thrice more, then finally detangled myself from his warm embrace.

“I love you.” I picked up my suitcase, “I’ll try to email you at least once a day.”

“Make it three,” Yifan waved with a weak smile, “I love you too.” I turned and walked toward the check-in desk, waiting until I was beyond airport security and I couldn’t see Yifan anymore to let my tears flow freely.


Author's Note: ...I'm sorry.

GuardianOfTheDawn :'3