The Calling

The Dragon Couple

Before We Begin: This is a wolf!AU.


It was that time of year again, the one event that Tora dreaded more than flea baths. There was no escape from attendance, which made the whole thing feel like ripping a Band-Aid off a hairy leg incredibly slowly. There was no alcohol either, so any bad decision made was done with a sober and completely knowing mind.

It was that time of year again. It was time for the Calling.

The Calling was a bi-annual party of Alpha and Beta wolves from various places with the hopes that the majority of those in attendance would take home a mate. Tora hated going to these things, not because she never took home a mate, but because there was more to finding a potential partner than just showing up to a party and showing off for all the pheromones in the room. It was mostly lesser Alphas that showed off in front of her, with perhaps one or two Betas thrown in for balance. As a Beta herself, she was a protector of her pack and, judging by the quality of the competition this year, could best a large quarter of those trying to impress her. Rolling her eyes as another Beta slinked past her scent, she folded herself into a ball and rested her back against the largest tree in the clearing, wishing desperately she was at home hiding in bed until the Calling had completely passed for another six months.

“Now I know why you hate coming to these things,” came the voice of Tora’s cousin Chanyeol from beside her as he sat down, his hands full of a large platter of food, “I had to growl at three Betas just to get to the food.” He pushed the plate toward Tora, who thanked him and picked up a sandwich. Chanyeol himself was gnawing on the bone of a steak he’d put away before joining Tora at the tree, “To be fair, these things are catered greatly.”

“Pig.” The bone was swiped at the Beta, who ducked her cousin’s half-hearted attack, “I’m not interested in finding a mate, but Jungsu always drags me along to every Calling he goes to. I think he likes to show off the fact that I’m one of his best unmated Betas.” She indicated the Alpha of the pack they belonged to, who was gripping onto his mate’s arm with one hand and swatting a Beta around the ears with the other.

“He’s just looking out for you. I think he’s looking for someone to protect you from outside the pack.” Chanyeol reasoned, swallowing his mouthful of sandwich.

“The other prerequisite is they must be an Alpha. Look at all the Betas he’s rejected.” Tora pointed to the group of young men growling in Jungsu’s general direction, “Hey, who’s that walking toward Jungsu?” Sweeping through the crowds towards their Alpha walked a tall blond who made all the Betas around him scurry to bow and retreat from his presence, which told the two that he was an Alpha due to the respect he silently commanded. Flicking a lock of his hair out of his dark, piercing eyes he bowed respectfully at Jungsu and spoke to him briefly, Jungsu visibly lighting up at what he’d been told.

“Ten says they were talking about me.” Tora grumbled.

“Twenty says you’ve just been found a mate.” Chanyeol countered, blinking at the blond, “Hey wait! I know him!”

 “You do?”

“Yeah, that’s Kris!” Tora blinked, redirecting her attention to the – oh my God, he was gorgeous. Why hadn’t she noticed that before? He had on a charming smile that not only charmed her pants off, but it seemed to do the trick on Jungsu because his dimpled smile was on his face the whole time they were talking. He was wearing a simple white business shirt and black pants, which made her wonder where the nearest showering facilities were because they were a little too far out in the woods to be stumbled upon by humans. He had a series of piercings over both his ears, and if she looked hard enough at his left shoulder, she could just make out the dark lines of a large tattoo resting there.

“You stink.” Shaking her head, the Beta growled at her cousin who had devoured three quarters of the large platter they had been sharing, “Seriously, anyone would think you liked the guy with what you’re smelling like. And it’s not working in your favour.” A dozen lesser Alphas and Betas were closing in on their tree, having caught a whiff of Tora and responded to it. Chanyeol got to his feet and stood protectively in front of his cousin, mentally trying to reach out to his own Alpha to get them out of the situation. Tora took deep breaths to try and calm herself down, but she knew it was futile; they’d smelled her, and now they wanted her. She stood up behind Chanyeol and shifted herself into a fighting stance, ready for whichever sorry loser was going to be brave enough to take on two Park Betas at once.

“Move.” The commanding voice made all those gathered around the two of them scarper, revealing the blond that had been talking to their Alpha moments ago, his smile replaced with a deep scowl that made Tora’s knees turn to jelly. Whether it was for good or bad, she didn’t know.

“Ayo, waddup Krease?” Chanyeol’s English made both Alpha and Beta cringe, but Tora suspected Chanyeol did it only to garner a reaction, which he got in the form of Kris’ teeth grinding a little with a suppressed grimace.

“Thank you for dispersing that crowd,” Tora slipped out from behind her cousin and bowed to the Alpha politely, “It was my fault they’d gathered in the first place.” Kris took a second to allow his eyes to travel over the Beta that he’d been speaking to Jungsu about, his nose overridden with the scent of mangoes, cinnamon, and her pheromones. He had to let his head make this decision for him, not…the other one.

“It was no trouble. I’m sure Chanyeol has told you stories about me.” he said, swallowing a smirk as his voice caused Tora to shudder a little.

“He has, but he failed to mention how much better you look in person.” Chanyeol gagged at the obvious flirtation, loudly declaring his intention to go get more food before he got caught in anything.

“Your clothes better be on by the time I get back!” he yelled at Tora as he pushed through the crowds. Tora flushed scarlet, her hands balling into fists.

“Would you…like to go somewhere else? Away from Chanyeol?” Kris offered, rubbing the back of his neck as was his nervous habit. Tora studied the tall blond Alpha standing in front of her now, a complete opposite of the suave and commanding persona that had gotten rid of the hormonally-charged morons only moments ago. It was…rather endearing, she thought as she smiled warmly at Kris.

“Sure, you know any good places nearby?” she asked, taking the hand he offered to her. Kris smiled at her, and this time she was sure her knees turned to jelly for a good reason.

She still hated the Calling, but at least she’d found a reason not to go to them anymore.


Author's Note: Chanyeol is gorgeous. Enough said.

-GuardianOfTheDawn :3