11: Prepared

Faded But Not Gone

prepared.

"you look nervous." yoongi said. he and taehyung were already in the building, wandering the (so far) empty halls. they were keeping plenty of an ear out, but nobody told them they had to be completely silent.

"of course I'm nervous. my-" taehyung paused, cleared his throat. "jungkook is in here. how could I not be nervous?"

"you know," yoongi said. "the way you talk about him sometimes... it's not just childhood care carried over into the present, is it? you're not just protecting him because you have to."

"no, I'm not." taehyung muttered. he ran a hand over his face like a stressed old man, only there was no facial hair to run, scratchy, against his palm. yoongi hummed in what sounded like agreement but couldn't have been.

"we're the first people in here," yoongi said after a few minutes of silence. "if anyone were to jump out at anyone, it would be the bad guys jumping out at us- not jungkook and whichever line he's in."

"the bad guys," taehyung kind of chuckled, his shoulders moving with his laugh. "you make it sound like we're the good guys."

"we don't kill people for no reason." yoongi said confidently, and taehyung couldn't stop himself from thinking that that wasn't true, because a lot of the people they killed were probably stuck in a situation just like yoongi, jimin, and the rest of them. "and we don't-"

"hoseok killed people for no reason. he went ing nuts in this place." taehyung kind of chuckled again, a little bit harder this time. "he's such an idiot, isn't he?"

"yeah," yoongi said fondly. he paused for a few minutes, and although taehyung wasn't looking at him, he could guess he had a conflicted sort of look on his face. "but, uh, I would've done the same thing."

"would you have?" taehyung asked. yoongi opened his mouth to answer when a sudden shriek was heard from the first floor.

"jungkook!" taehyung shouted at the same time yoongi yelled, "tae!" and grabbed his shoulder, pushing him to the ground. the both of them narrowly dodged three bullets flying over their heads.

"jungkook!" taehyung said again, but yoongi was pulling him up and shooting four clean shots at the three guys shooting at them. the fourth shot was aimed at the alarm, and off it went, blaring and darkening the whole place. the alarm was much too familiar to taehyung, and he almost started to think about it, that night, but then yoongi's hand was on his shoulder.

"come on, we've gotta make this quick." yoongi said, tugging taehyung down the hall. they began sprinting, their eyes glancing left, right, foreward, their heads turning back, looking for valuables and enemies. (they saw nothing for a long, long time. not until they came upon one hidden room near the end of the hall.)

"up," yoongi said, and taehyung leaned back against him, kicking his legs out at the same time yoongi pushed him forward. the door broke down like that- a simple trick he and yoongi had learned when training. taehyung landed on his feet hard, but he did every time.

"," yoongi said. there were piles of valuables in the room- money, silver and gold bars, diamond jewelry, little boxes. "what kind of idiot piles this all in one room?"

"an idiot who minors," taehyung muttered. yoongi heard him. (but he said nothing.)

"come on, we have to hurry." yoongi said. he threw his pack off his back and began shoving everything important into it- the money, the bars, the jewelry. and taehyung took the boxes (after opening then quick to make sure there wasn't something insane- like bombs or killer bees).

"come on, come on, come on," taehyung tugged at yoongi's sleeve after three minutes of clearing the room. the alarm was still blaring and the building was getting darker and darker by the minute- as was the sky outside. the rest of the building had been eerily quiet, though, and taehyung was terrified they'd walk downstairs to find the dead bodies of their partners and his someone.

"alright, let's go," yoongi said, jogging after taehyung. "and keep an eye out! who knows how many more freaks are in this pla- !"

yoongi ducked another bullet; he was really good at that. taehyung skidded to a stop and pulled his pistol out of his pocket, pointing it into the coming darkness. he couldn't see where the bullet came from, but yoongi was next to him in the next second, shooting a bullet on his left and killing the person taehyung assumed had shot at them.

"you have a good eye," taehyung commented. he took off down the hall again; yoongi followed quick.

"trained longer than you," yoongi muttered. they were at the stairs the next second, flying down them and outside. they didn't catch sight of any of their partners (or jungkook) on the way out.

"thank god you idiots were prepared." taehyung heard jin before he saw him. he couldn't see inside of the van for a moment, because yoongi was climbing in. he saw jimin when yoongi had moved. then he saw namjoon, and hoseok, and jin, and-

"jungkook," taehyung climbed into the van, immediately wrapping an arm around the boy. jungkook looked quite calm. he was munching on a chocolate bar with a bottle of water in the other hand. "you okay?"

"nobody sent me in," jungkook said. "they made me stay here."

taehyung sent a questioning look to the rest of them. jin rolled his eyes, "we heard the gunshots when we were outside of the building. we made jungkook go back. we knew you'd freak out if he so much as saw a bad guy with a gun."

"a bad guy," taehyung muttered. what made the other guys so bad? they were doing the same exact things they were doing. and who was to say they were hurting people for no reason? really, who was anyone to judge them? (taehyung wished he wouldn't think about these things so in-depth.)

"whatever. we've got all we need, anyway. the rest of those s can burn in there," jin said.

"burn?" taehyung asked. jin didn't answer until he'd pulled out of his parking spot and was speeding down the road leading away from the secluded building.

"bomb," jin said. "we set up a bomb in there,"

"nice," taehyung said. he heard the explosion when jin hit a little red button on the collar of jimin's t-shirt.