Chapter 44

Claimed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Claimed would be ending in a few chapters. I'm not sure how many, but yes, we're near the end. 
And happy birthday, Singapore! ^^ 

 

 

 

 

 

He was reluctant to take his eyes off his omega, even if a few steps and one turn around the corner, Sungmin would come into sight again. The fear felt even more irrational since Doojoon and Yoseob were watching his omega, and though they had “betrayed” him once, he knew now that the pair would give their lives to protect Sungmin. He had to force himself to turn his head away from the small figure in the distance to the alpha waiting, taking in a deep breath in anticipation of a talk he didn’t really want to have. Not that he knew what Siwon wanted to talk about, but that he had no interest in talking to the alpha anymore. However, after how the alpha had risked his life to protect Sungmin, he had owed Siwon at least a civil and polite attitude.

 

“This wouldn’t take long,” Siwon said with a seemingly amused smile, as though aware of his illogical worries.

 

“What do you wish to speak about?” Kyuhyun jumped right past the draggy pleasantries, eager to end the conversation so that he could return to his omega’s side. After the two weeks long of separation from his omega, he had only grown clingier since his omega returned to his arms.

 

“My father expresses his gratitude for your help regarding the insurgents,” Siwon began.

 

“Your father?” He raised a suspicious eyebrow.

 

The alpha gave a guilty smile. “Well, me in place of my father.” Siwon scrunched up his nose in mock annoyance. “Couldn’t you have just accepted it and let it be? You didn’t have to spoil that.”

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smile. “Thank you for trying to be nice, or should I apologise for destroying your attempt at improving your father’s image and reputation?”

 

Siwon waved his hand dismissively. “My father enjoys his cold-blooded image. Actually,” the alpha flashed him a grin. “Sometimes, I think you do too. Makes me wonder who is actually my father’s biological son.”

 

The smile on Kyuhyun’s face fell, and from the sorrowful look on Siwon’s face, Kyuhyun knew the alpha had noticed.

 

“I wish… Our fathers didn’t fall out with each other, that our families could still be friends…” A sigh escaped Siwon. “I know it was my father’s fault; he was the one who betrayed their team first and he might have even plotted…”

 

Siwon dropped his words and shook his head, but Kyuhyun knew what the alpha was going to say. Choi Hyungbyun was one of the suspects behind his father’s assassination. However, it was unconfirmed. There seemed not a way to prove the identities of all those involved, despite catching a few, with the investigation coming to a standstill a few months ago.

 

“I don’t expect your father to be grateful to me anyway,” Kyuhyun said, bringing them back to the original topic. “It was a deal.”

 

Siwon shook his head lightly. “It wasn’t a deal to him – it was to his satisfaction to have Sungmin gone. And it wasn’t a deal to me as well; I could have acted on it myself.”

 

“Was it guilt then?”

 

“No,” Siwon answered firmly. “I would have kept Sungmin for myself. I wanted him, Kyuhyun. I have always wanted him, long before you even knew his existence.”

 

“So why—”

 

“I told you. It was my request for you to take Sungmin back.” Siwon frowned, seemingly finding it hard to voice his next words. “My father… would have killed him. This time, my mother’s feelings aren’t in the way. He didn’t kill Sungjin,” The alpha looked right into his eyes with conviction. “But he would have killed Sungmin.”

 

The pain and rage that seized his chest was so sudden his hand almost shot up instinctively to clutch it. Kyuhyun drew a deep breath, forcing himself to calm down. Sungmin isn’t dead; his omega is alive and well.

 

“I couldn’t protect him any further…” Siwon’s fists were clenched tight, his demeanor stiff. “Returning him to you was the only way to keep him safe and happy.”

 

“Thank you…” Kyuhyun muttered, though the two words would have been past his pride three weeks ago.

 

“No, thank you.” Siwon’s hand slid into his pocket, producing two key rings in his fingers, which he held up. “This is my way of wishing you two happiness… But if you dare to hurt Sungmin or let him get hurt again, I will not hesitate to take him back and find some other way to protect him.”

 

Kyuhyun received the two figurines, one badly glued up and held in place by tape, another brand new. It was his omega’s key ring, the half to the one he held tight in his hand through those sleepless nights worrying about his omega. The new one was a replicate, and interestingly, one with hair as blond as to the shade of his hair.

 

“I didn’t plan to return it to Sungmin originally, since it obviously represented you. But let me clarify first; I’m not as petty as to break the figurine – Jong was the one who broke it, I think—” The alpha cut his rambling abruptly, shaking his head at himself. “Whatever, just pass it to Sungmin for me. Or if you’re the petty one who doesn’t want to pass Sungmin my gift, then dispose it.”

 

Kyuhyun cradled the new figurine in his palm, examining it. “Did you have this custom-made?”

 

“Yeah,” Siwon shrugged his shoulders. “I figured it wouldn’t be easy to find an exact same one.”

 

“Thank you.” Kyuhyun pocketed the figurines, recognizing the surprise in Siwon’s expression. “I will make sure to pass it to Sungmin.”

 

“Really—” Siwon cleared his throat, correcting himself. “I mean, good… That’s great.”

 

Spotting Kibum and Henry appearing from the far corner, Kyuhyun gestured in their direction, grateful to be able to end the conversation before it became awkward. “I should get going.”

 

Siwon turned to look at the couple, nodding. “Yes… I guess this is the end of our collaboration.”

 

“The next time we meet, it will probably be as rivals again.” Kyuhyun offered a polite handshake. “Thank you, Siwon-ssi.”

 

The alpha pressed his lips into a thin line, receiving his hand. “Thank you, Kyuhyun.”

 

He held himself back from reacting to the lack of honorifics, turning his back to the alpha. Kyuhyun took a step before stopping again, clearing his throat to capture Siwon’s attention. “When you’re free from your father’s rein, maybe we can be friends then… Siwon.”

 

His cheeks burned when the alpha’s reply basically radiated happiness. “I’ll look forward to it!”

 

Shaking off his unfounded embarrassment, Kyuhyun strode back to where he left his omega, mind occupied with what had just happened. Where did that come from anyway? He did began the conversation almost unwillingly and thinking that it was uncalled for to talk, much less maintain any contact or relationship, but he had ended with an offer of friendship. It was unlike him, unlike the cold monster he was two months back before a particular omega stumbled into his life. He probably should have contemplated on it, but as his eyes fell on said omega’s smile, the inner confusion had vanished into thin air.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~--~

 

 

                                                                                                                      

 

 

 

 

 

 

He was truly home – at his alpha’s house – after more than two weeks.

 

Though the suffocating feeling in his chest was distracting, Sungmin still managed to draw out the differences from the house’s transformation. There was extra height of barbed wire extending from the washed walls he had climbed over, possibly laced or made with silver to deter any attempts of sneaking into house. Similarly, it would have hurt a wolf to try to climb out of the house, but if he weren’t escaping from any assaults, there would be no reason for him to do so again. The old metallic gates were now a set of black ones resembling cabinet doors, the intricate design with lots of holes now a plain, solid board that robbed one’s opportunity to peep through.

 

“The entire security system has been replaced,” his alpha explained, reaching out of the descending car window for the new digital lock. Unlike the previous one that was pin-enabled – Sungmin still remembered the pin numbers his alpha had entrusted to him –, this was higher technology. His alpha placed a thumb into the scanner and a beep sounded after three seconds. Sungmin expected the gates to open inwards like the previous ones, but they had smoothly slid into the sides, making an opening for their car to pass through before swiftly returning to place.

 

His head was still turned, attention held by the sliding gates, when Sungmin suddenly realised something – his thumbprint wasn’t recorded in the lock. If it was somehow already so, his alpha would have mentioned it. But his alpha didn’t even suggest having his thumbprint registered in time to come. Would his alpha do it later, or did his alpha really intend to lock him up in the house? Perhaps it was just to make sure he was safe and within the house, he thought. But he couldn’t stop his mind from linking up the logic – if he couldn’t get out, it meant he couldn’t get in.

 

The parallel between the thumbprint lock and the forest maze he had gotten lost in when he was a child was too striking for him to ignore. The forest had once prevented him from returning to his parents that had abandoned him. What if—

 

“Home,” his alpha announced, pulling him back harshly from his straying thoughts. The quiet sound of the engine ceased, and his alpha got off the car, walking round to open the door for him. His alpha held out a hand to him.

 

Looking at the upturned palm, Sungmin carefully placed his hand on it, giving in as his alpha pulled him out of the passenger seat. The warmth from the big hand was as though scolding him silly for even having such thoughts. His alpha had gone to great lengths to retrieve him. Kyuhyun wouldn’t throw him away like his parents did… right?

 

He didn’t dare look up at his alpha as they entered the house.

                                    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~--~

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter