Chapter 16

Claimed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungmin peeked into every door on the row of activity rooms in the administrative building, noticing that his alpha’s scent was getting stronger with each room he passed. He quickened his steps, forgoing a few rooms as he headed towards the end of the corridor.

 

“He’s fine, just a little shaken.”

 

He heard his alpha’s voice when he was two doors away from the last room.

 

“A little? Don’t you think you’re treating things too lightly regarding your own omega?”

 

Sungmin stopped in his steps as he discerned Jongwoon’s voice.

 

“Hyung, even you? First Kikwang, then Doojoon, and now even you? I know what I’m doing.”

“Sure, you know what you’re doing. But you don’t know how Sungmin’s feeling.”

“And you do?”

“No, I don’t. All I know was that even I felt heartbroken seeing him begging me not to tell you what happened just because he didn’t want to make you angry. Although I didn’t know him personally before, I’ve heard about him in school. He would have just walked out or defended himself in the past, but he obediently took the punishment. He did it for you.”

“I know, hyung. I kicked that damn bastard out of school. What more do you all expect?”

“Not that I wanted to eavesdrop, but I was right outside when you two were talking in the clinic yesterday. You were glad that he’s your omega? Couldn’t you just tell him that you’re proud of him? How hard is it?”

“You know why, hyung. I’m already softening up a lot on him, I can’t give him any wrong idea that it’s okay for him to act like how he used to.”

“I really don’t understand your reasons, Kyuhyun. This isn’t just about protecting him and avoiding those nasty tongues. It has always been that thing, isn’t it? Wook told me you all were having a lesson on black omegas today.”

“Hyung, please. Don’t start. I don’t want to talk about that.”

“Kyuhyun, it’s all in the past. Look, I’m sorry about Ryeowook. Things would be much easier if he was your omega instead, but you don’t have to be so hard on yourself and Sungmin.”

“Hyung, I’ve told you a million times. There’s nothing to be sorry about regarding Ryeowook. We agreed on a fair competition and we both know he has always liked you.”

“But if you didn’t go for the friendly match that day…”

“No, hyung! Please! It wasn’t just you choosing Wook, he chose you, okay? And he’s more than happy about it. So please, just love him as much as he loves you. You two be happy together and I will be happy.”

“Kyuhyun…”

“I have Sungmin now. He’s my only omega.”

“But you—”

 

 

The conversation dropped abruptly and Sungmin found his breathing coming in irregular intervals. His head spun at all the sudden information and he quickly grabbed the doorframe, supporting himself against the door. He had always suspected that his alpha liked Ryeowook, but hearing something close to a confirmation for his speculation still made his heart sink to his stomach.

 

“Sungmin, come in.”

 

His breath hitched – his alpha had sensed his presence. Forcing himself to take a few deep breaths to calm down, Sungmin covered the final distance towards the room his alpha was in, revealing himself at the door.

 

 

The room was in quite a mess from the unpacking, with boxes all over the floor. Jongwoon was sitting on one of the chairs around the meeting table, while his alpha was in a cosier corner of the room, sitting on the floor and leaning against the sofa with a file in hand. It seemed like they were sorting the files, with the open boxes next to both alphas.

 

“I told you to stay in class, didn’t I?” His alpha said, drawing his focus back.

“I… I’m sorry, Master. I wanted to know where you were,” Sungmin replied softly, keeping his voice as steady as possible.

“Now you know, go back to class.”

“But I…”

 

His alpha closed the file, putting it down on the coffee table as he got up from the floor. Sungmin lowered his gaze as his alpha moved over, stopping in front of him.

 

“Did you overhear anything?”

 

Afraid that his alpha would scold him for eavesdropping, Sungmin shook his head.

 

“Sungmin, I’m giving you one chance. If you heard anything that you have doubts on, you can ask now.”

 

Sungmin’s eyes flickered to Jongwoon, then back to his alpha. There was nothing to doubt about the issue regarding Ryeowook, but there was something else bugging him. He didn’t know what “that thing” was that Jongwoon spoke about, but it seemed to be related to the lesson on black omegas today.

However, how was he going to ask? How should he go about starting his questions? And how would he manage if it were about black omegas?

He silently convinced himself that his alpha must have not trusted him enough yet to tell him the entire matter. Else, he would have been told by now. He shook his head, telling himself that he shouldn’t make things difficult for his alpha. He would wait patiently till his alpha trusted him enough to tell him everything on his own.

 

“Go back to class then.”

 

His alpha moved back towards the sofa and Sungmin instinctively reached out a hand. He wanted a hug, he wanted comfort, he wanted to hear his alpha’s heartbeat to anchor himself. He didn’t want to think about Ryeowook, about his submissive nature, about his unworthiness, about his secret, about everything. All he wanted right then, was to feel safe in his alpha’s arms, by his alpha’s side.

 

“Sungmin.” His alpha turned around, seeing him frozen in his spot with his arm raised. “Anything wrong?”

 

 

At his alpha’s gentle tone, he couldn’t hold it in anymore. Sungmin ran right to his alpha, throwing himself and wrapping his arms around Kyuhyun.

 

“Sungmin?” His alpha called out in mild surprise.

 

At his alpha’s slight attempt at pulling away, Sungmin tightened his hold, pushing the side of his face against Kyuhyun’s chest in search for his alpha’s heartbeat. “P-Please, Master. Don’t l-leave me alone,” he croaked.

 

A few moments of silence passed before he heard his alpha sigh and an arm held him, the other landing on the back of his head. “Are you still thinking about what the teacher said? I told you not to listen to him, didn’t I?”

 

At the steady heartbeat pulsing by his ear, Sungmin relaxed in the comforting hold of his alpha. “I’m s-sorry, Master… I’ll do better. Please… Please don’t leave me a-alone.”

 

“I won’t.” His alpha replied firmly. “You don’t want to go back to class alone? Then stay here and help us unpack.”

 

 

His alpha didn’t know the underlying meaning of his words, but it was enough for now. It was enough to be in his alpha’s arms, by his alpha’s side, with his alpha’s attention on him.

 

He nodded against his alpha’s chest, unwilling to let go for a few more moments.

 

It was enough, because he felt safe.

 

He was safe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~--~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sungmin! Are you really fine? You looked sick when you left the classroom during Teukie umma’s class and now you don’t want to join us,” Ryeowook grabbed a bottle of mineral water Sungmin had carried over, panting as he sat down beside Sungmin.

“I’m fine,” Sungmin gave his usual response, refusing to take his trained sight off his alpha. There was a nagging pain in his head, but he didn’t want to disturb his alpha’s activities.

 

His alpha had kept him at the Youth Council room as promised and halfway through unpacking, brought him to Leeteuk’s homeroom to report. The teacher didn’t mentioned anything about the lesson they missed, only passing them a briefing sheet about a pair work essay assignment on bonding that was due the next lesson, and then sending them away. When they had returned to the room, the bodyguards had arrived with both their bags, followed by Ryeowook, Minho and finally Junsu and Yoochun who travelled from their school. Sungmin reckoned the two alphas would eventually transfer school to join them as well to make things easier. Transferring of schools were common after all among the high school students with alphas joining their newly claimed omegas or vice versa.

The room was crowded, but nevertheless big enough to fit them all. When they started their meeting, the three omegas moved to the sofas, giving the team the space of the entire meeting table to work on. Sungmin was glad that Minho was with them, because he had definitely no confidence that he could talk to Ryeowook without snapping. After he evidently showed Ryeowook that he didn’t want any conversation by working on his Physics homework, the omega turned his attention to Minho and left him alone. However, one and a half hours later, his peaceful time ended when his alpha announced an impromptu bonding session for the team and they came out to play basketball.

Sungmin was in no mood to play, but he didn’t want to leave his alpha’s side. Thus, he ended up carrying water for the team instead, sitting by the steps and watching the rest play like how he did on Monday evening.

 

 

“I’ll get one bottle for Jongwoon hyung!” Ryeowook an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter