Confuse

Time to Love

Hyomin POV

“Good you two are here. Take a seat.” Taeyeon greeted us. I looked at Soo wondering what this is about. I guess she is as confuse as me. We decided to take a seat as what Taeyeon said. I sat beside Sunny while Soo sat beside Sica. It’s always like this. I will always be sitting next to Sunny. Not that I mind at all because I am most comfortable with her. I can’t help but think that maybe they are setting this up. Or maybe I am just thinking too much again so I just shrugged the idea off.

“It has been a tradition in KUA to hold an annual party. It is the biggest event in the whole year. Students look forward to it.” Taeyeon paused and look at everyone to make sure she has everyone’s attention. “We are going to be the organizers for this event so we will need all the help that we get. That is why we invited you to this meeting Soo, Hyomin and Seo. Will you help us?”

“Yes.” All of us answered.

“Aren’t we all in first year, I am just curious why the senior students didn’t organize this? Normally that would be the case.” I asked.

“Yes, normally that would be the case. But the seniors and the school body entrusted this to our group.” Taeyeon answered referring to them the ‘queenkas’.

I understand now. Being the queenkas of this school, of course it is normal that they be entrusted of the biggest event of the university.

“The event will be somewhere in February or March. I know we are all going for our Christmas break. Before that happens, I just want to finalize our theme that way we can enjoy our break. And you can concentrate of looking for ideas for our chosen theme. We are open for suggestions.”

“Taeyeon is really different when she acts serious.” I mumbled.

Sunny chucked and said, “Yes she is mature sometimes but 90% of the time she is a dork.” I looked at her I didn’t realize that she heard me. She winked at me and I chuckled a bit.

“So only 10% of the time she is mature?”

Sunny shook her head and said, “Let me correct myself. 99% she is a kid/dork/dokong lover and 1% she is mature.” I laughed at her funny response. I didn’t realize that the rest were watching us until…

“You two are in your own world.”

“I agree.  Mind inviting us in?”

“Stop butting in, don’t you see they are in the middle of something?”

“Like what? Dating?”

 “Lovebirds, I hate to interrupt you two but we are in a middle of a meeting. Why don’t we finish this first and you two can continue your date later.” Taeyeon said and there were loud cheers from the rest as they continue to tease us.

“Nice on Tae!”

I was really embarrassed.

“Yah! Will you all stop! You’re making Hyomin uncomfortable.” Sunny said after seeing me embarrassed. But she only to get teased more.

“Sunny being so protective of her girl…” Someone said which I am not sure who as I kept my head down. It was followed by more teasing.

“Ani… I was just admiring Taeyeon as a leader. And Sunny replied that Tae can be mature sometimes but mostly she is a dork.” I explained to which everybody laugh as well.

“Sunny, you don’t have to be jealous of Tae…”

“I can’t believe it. Not only the two of you interrupt my meeting but also having fun of me?! Unbelievable!” Taeyeon act dramatically. “It’s ok. I will forgive you two lovers.” And again, the nonstop teasing.

“We’re sorry for interrupting the meeting. But can we continue?” Sunny ask again.

“Ok. Let’s continue so we can go home early.” Taeyeon began and everyone began to focus again. “Any suggestions for a theme?”

“How about winter theme?” Sica suggested “We decorate the whole venue with winter theme.”

“Autumn!” Yoona suggested.

“Summer!” Sunny suggested.

“Come on winter will be more elegant.”

“But autumn will be more dramatic especially with the changing colors.”

“Summer is about warmth and being bright and sunny.”

The rest of the girls were debating and giving out ideas while me, Soo and Hyunnie just sit back and watch.

“You three have been quiet. Please share your ideas too.” Taeyeon said.

Hyunnie went to support Yoona’s idea. She does not mind which theme is chosen but she chose Yoona because she is her girlfriend. Yoona got 3 votes in total.

Soo chose Sica’s idea much to Jessica’s delight. She even gave Sooyoung a hug. Now Sica has 3 votes too. Sunny has 3 votes as well. They all looked at me.

“Looks like we have to depend on Hyomin to break the tie braker.”

“Please choose the best theme.”

“No bias”

Have I mention that I hate being in this situation. If it is with T-ara I would not mind at all because I can say whatever I want to say with them. But here, it’s different. They are all looking at me expectantly.

“I like… sunny.”

“We get it. You like Sunny…” Yuri teased.

“That’s not what I meant. I like the theme sunny. Summer”

“So you are saying that you don’t like Sunny?” Hyoyeon joined in.

“I didn’t say that..”

“So you do like her..”

“You told me to choose a theme. I chose summer. Sunshine. Bright and sunny. I like sunny… I mean summer theme.” I literally want to disappear. I am really embarrassed especially when they tease me like this.

I look at Sunny and she smiled at me and said, “Don’t mind them.” I smiled back at her. The others notice this and as expected they teased us more. I really can’t face them so I look down to hide my red face.

“Girls, stop it. Hyomin and I are friends. Just friends nothing more nothing less. So please stop this nonsense. You are making us uncomfortable and awkward.” Sunny said.

“Sorry Hyomin. I guess we had too much fun.”

“Sorry.” They apologized.

“It’s ok. I’m sorry too.”

“Ani. We were being too much.”

“How bout we just move on?”

“Ok. You are the best Hyomin.”

“Well we have chosen a theme based on the number of most votes and it is Summer theme.” Taeyeon declared. “Meeting is adjourned. We will meet after the Christmas break and we can discuss and start planning. During the break, you can start thinking of ideas based on our theme. Thank you everyone and also thank you Soo, Hyomin and Seohyun for helping us out. Merry Christmas everyone! See you all next year!”

“Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!” everyone greeted each other.

“Wait, aren’t we going to have a gathering before our Christmas break?”

“That sounds like a good idea.”

--

I went to spend the break with my parents. Since my parents still have work, we decided to send Christmas near their shoot location. I didn’t mind at all as long as I can be with them.

I was seating by the window looking outside. I have been thinking of what Sunny said that day. “…Hyomin and I are friends. Just friends nothing more nothing less. So please stop this nonsense. You are making us uncomfortable and awkward.”

Just friends.. nothing more.. nothing less…

Stop this nonsense..

Uncomfortable and awkward…

It bothers me so much. And I don’t want to admit it but it hurt me. Those words hurt me. ‘Nonsense.’ ‘Just friends.’

Sigh. I can’t understand myself as well. I do understand but if I admit it, I will just get hurt. Maybe I should stop this ‘nonsense.’

“Sunyoung” My mom called out and she sat by the window in front of me.

“Umma”

“Honey, what’s bothering you?”

“Nothing. Just being melancholy like the weather outside.”

“I think I know when something is bothering my daughter.” I smiled at Umma’s remark. She always gets me. “You can tell it to me.”

“I don’t know how to say it. I don’t seem make sense of it.”

“Sunyoung, if you have made sense of it, you would not be like this. And that’s why I am here for. So we can talk about it and try to make sense of what’s going on.”

“Umma, it’s just that these words are troubling me… ‘Hyomin and I are friends. Just friends nothing more nothing less. So please stop this nonsense. You are making us uncomfortable and awkward.’”

“Do you like this person?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you feel when you are around this person?”

“Happy. Comfortable. Special. I always want to be with her.” I stopped. I said too much. It’s the first time I open up to my mother about this. I want to see her reaction upon knowing I like a girl.

“I think you do like her. Who is she?”

“Sunny. She’s a girl, Umma.”

“Is that what is bothering you? Sunyoung, love is love. You cannot choose who you fall for. Tell me about this Sunny.” Umma said and hugged me.

I felt a lot comfortable and tell her about Sunny. How we met and also our encounters. I also tell her about my friends and her friends.

“She seems like a beautiful and nice girl. I can’t wait to meet her.”

“Umma…”

“What? I will meet her eventually when you two are together.”

“Well, I don’t think so. She did say that we are friends. No more. No less.”

“That shouldn’t stop you Sunyoung.” I look around and saw Appa. “Sunyoung, just because she said that, it means that you should give up. You haven’t even tried yet. I say go for it.”

“Appa?” I was going to ask him if it bothers him that I like a girl.

“Love is love Sunyoung.” Appa said as if reading my mind.

I hugged them. I am so happy to be with them. “I am not sure of my feelings, Appa, Umma. If I really love her, like her or simply has a crush on her. Or maybe I just enjoy being friends with her.”

“You don’t need to rush. You will know in time.”

“You don’t really have to think it through. You just have to feel it.”

“Umma, Appa, you both are so cheesy.”

“We are just romantic, Sunyoung.”

“Arasso. Thanks Umma, Appa. I love you both.”