Christmas Tales: The Reader Part 4

Box of Candies: A collection of stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So here it is finally part four. It took longer than expected to finish this BLAME IT ALL ON CAFELAND! But anyway here it is. I’ve condensed it and went straight to the point or scenes as you might call it. I hope you enjoy this update. Tell me what you think! I will try to keep my promise of finishing this on or before the new year but if I don’t I’M SORRY!!! Comment and upvote if you like my stories. :D

By the way thanks to all of my subscribers who commented you always make my day! Sorry that I can't mention your names here. And sorry as well since I promised a Yoontae moment to one of you ut failed to include it.  <3

 

Christmas Tales: The Reader

Part 4

           

            Tiffany stared at her reflection in the mirror. Dark circles formed under her eyes as a result of sleepless nights, tossing and turning in bed remembering the words Yuri said to her a week prior. Her skin was also pale and her lips beginning to chap. She had been neglecting herself after the break up and has been drowning her alcohol in sorrow. She wanted to forget Yuri and everything that happened between them but it was impossible. She loved Yuri too much to ever have the courage to get over him and accept reality.

            She splashed some water into her face hoping that it would cool her down but it didn’t. She was having a fever. Her body has given up on itself after days of eating take-outs and devouring gallons and gallons of ice cream. She had purchased the ice cream because it was a girl’s bestfriend when it came to break ups. She was about to leave the bathroom when she almost tripped on a bottle of wine so she kicked the bottle away.

            She walked towards her bedroom clad in Yuri’s white gym t-shirt and decided to sleep hoping that it would help her temperature down. Yuri had left the shirt she was wearing when he came over one time. She had kept it ever since, tracing her fingers over the name Kwon Yuri over and over again fantasizing that one day she would be called Mrs. Kwon. She would giggle like a child afterwards. But she as a coward, she couldn’t fight for him or his love. She was freaking coward.

            She fell asleep and her temperature rose until she was convulsing. She was on the verge of death until she heard a man’s voice swearing at her. The voice was later on followed by a cool object placed on her forehead easing away the pain and nightmares away.

 

            Taeyeon cursed out loud when he saw Tiffany’s condition. She was curled up in her bed looking extremely cold and pale. When he checked her temperature he yelled in pain because her body temperature was so high. She was convulsing with fever and was even having hallucinations. He hastily picked her up and rushed her to the hospital but before he did so he change her into decent clothes. He felt someone claw his insides out when he saw the shirt she was wearing, so her lover’s name was Kwon Yuri. He wanted to put her back into bed and forget all about her but he just couldn’t. He would prove to Tiffany that he was a better man than that Kwon Yuri was.

            As he made his way to the car he suddenly realized the danger Tiffany would be facing if her parents found out she was in this condition. He went back up again carrying her and called his college friend Wooyoung who was a doctor for help. After the call he took a towel and gave Tiffany a sponge bath hoping it would bring her temperature down. He cleaned Tiffany’s messed up condominium clearing up every freaking wine, beer and soju bottle he could find.

            At long last after three sponge baths Wooyoung came and he immediately assessed Tiffany’s condition. Wooyoung gave him some medicine and told him to crush it and mix it with water and then feed it to Tiffany. He also told him to make porridge for Tiffany and make sure to put in helpful medicinal plants to bring the temperature down since he didn’t want to bring Tiffany to the hospital.

            After subsequent tries to make Tiffany drink the medicine he finally succeeded. He proceeded to make the porridge for Tiffany since she was still unconscious. After he made the porridge he continued cleaning the place, he was a clean freak and he hated dirty places. Tiffany’ condo was worse than a pig pen. He wore gloves and used lots of bleach to kill the imaginary germs that he saw. After feeling satisfied with his work of bleaching everything he set his eyes on he called Tiffany’s housekeeper or should he say condo keeper to make her do the laundry.

            Being able to do the chores of normal people was something he took pride on. People of their status rarely cared about housekeeping but his mom trained him to be able to cook, sew, clean and do the laundry because she always had this fear of him suddenly being stranded in some unknown island and he needed to learn survival skills as his mom called it. He went back to Tiffany’s room and checked on her temperature which thankfully had gone down. He decided to spend the night at her condo watching over her until she finally got better.

            Jiyoung called him after Wooyoung told him what happened and Jiyoung mocking words really hit home.

            “You are the most masochistic and foolish man I have ever met. Let me rephrase that you are an idiot dude!” he shook his head after hearing Jiyoung’s comment on his actions. He guessed that really was an idiot for tolerating Tiffany and even taking care if her but love really made people do stupid things, this just proves how much he loved Tiffany.

 

            “Hyung get up. Aish how many bottles of soju have you drank huh?” Minho asked his seriously drunk cousin. Yuri looked at him and smiled like an idiot then answered in a very drunk and childlike voice.

            “Three? No, four? Or was it five? I don’t remember.”

            Minho helped his cousin get on his feet and walked to the street where he could hail a taxi. Yuri reeked of alcohol and looked as pitiful as a puppy left outside in the thunderstorm. His cousin was beyond heartbroken. It was as if he had not just lost the love of his life but he had also lost who he was as a person. He also lost his sense of time and responsibility. It was a good thing they owned the firm or else he would be fired now for failing to show up at work for a whole week!

            Minho now doubted whether his decision to convince his cousin to break up with Tiffany Hwang was such a good idea. Kwon Yuri was losing his mind and the last thing Minho could handle was his cousin going suicidal. He knew his hyung gave up on Tiffany for their sake and he feels grateful and ashamed because of it. His hyung was now in pain and he couldn’t do anything besides carry him back every night from his drinking session. He felt useless.

            They reached his hyung’s house and he tried to be a careful because the road leading up to the main gate was slippery and his hyung was heavy. He opened the gate and went in carrying his extremely drunk cousin. He climbed the stone steps up to the main door and took a deep breath. His hyung really need to go on a diet or something. How can a man weigh so much? He fumbled through his pockets to get the key which wasn’t an easy task because his hyung was moving too much on his back mumbling incoherent words and singing 1970’s songs. He was left with no choice but to put his hyung down so he could open the door.

            He turned around and saw Yuri resting his head back against the way sleeping with his mouth wide open.

            “AISH! Hyung don’t sleep there!” He yelled at his cousin but Yuri was already reached dreamland. Minho had no choice but to carry him unconscious into the living room and placed him on the sofa. He muttered angrily as he saw the state the house was in. Dirty dishes were piled on the sink. Hani his cousin’s pet dog looked like it hasn’t been bathed and feed properly. He went over to Hani and feed the poor dog and afterwards gave him a bath. He was about to take Hani for a night walk when his phone rang.

            “Mom.” He answered keeping the phone away from his ear because he knew she was going to scold him.

            “WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? IT’S PAST MIDNIGHT!” His mother yelled through the receiver. He had no choice but to tell his mom about his hyung’s condition. Before he hung up he heard his mom say that she was coming over. His turtle neck sweater suddenly felt stuffy and he knew he made the wrong move by telling his mom. She was going to give a piece of her mind to Yuri which he was sure meant non stop scolding.

 

            Jessica knew that she was going to get in serious trouble with her mother for escaping her planned Summer Christmas but there was nothing she could do. For the past week she has not had a decent sleep all because of her vision prior to the trip. She needed to be home because a certain someone needed her help and she couldn’t help that person if she was in freaking Okinawa. Not only was she suffering from lack of sleep se also felt incredibly uncomfortable everytime she didn’t have anything to do, thoughts of foreboding disaster often clouded her thinking making restless. She hated feeling like this and when she told her mom that she wanted to go home her mother went OA with her and told her she couldn’t go home. Madam Lee talked about the expenses she had to pay so they could go to Okinawa even though Jessica knew she was lying. This trip was a gift from one of her mom’s patron who just happened to have sealed a million dollar deal oversees because of her guidance.

            So now here she was on a plane leaving Japan without her mom’s knowledge. Escaping Madam Lee was not easy, she was after all a fortune teller and she could predict the future in cards. Her escape was a lucky draw. She boarded a taxi when her mother was out dining with a friend and never looked back. She’d rather hear her mom’s nagging than feel this wretched. It was so difficult for her coping up with this new profound range in her abilities; normally her visions were just visions once she saw them they would disappear but now it was different. The visions were like a broken DVD playing over and over again in her mind, disturbing her dreams and thoughts. They constantly flashed in her head when she left it unoccupied for just one second.

            The plane was just minutes away from landing at Incheon Airport. Jessica readied herself to board off the plane. The plane landed and she got her belongings. She was about to hail a taxi when her phone rang. The word “omma” shined and a cute anime drawing of a lady in purple hanbok ran across the screen fanning herself. This was the first time she had done something like this and she was very guilty. She dismissed the call intending to call her mom when she reached the house. She hailed a taxi and got on, the driver helped carry her meager luggage. She wasn’t able to pack a lot of clothes because she had every intention of going back to Japan after this whole thing with the visions had ended.

            She reached home and the first thing she did was take out her cards from her handbag. She wanted to know how angry her mother was and if she would get killed for what she had done. She arranged the cards in a spread and asked. She turned each card and a scowl formed on her forehead. The cards showed her something else. A Queen of Pentacles, the card of death, the chariot, a magician and Seven of Wands. Great so a rich lady was going to make a decision that could cost her life. What did Jessica have to do with her?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter