College Days: Boredom and Studies

Box of Candies: A collection of stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Boredom and studies

 

            I tapped my right foot on the white tiled floor as I listened to the reporter talking about objectives and assessment. Ok scratch that I was trying to listen to the reporter. It was our Ed 133 class also known as curriculum development. We are having individual reporting in class. Thankfully I was already done with mine. Unfortunately the others weren’t, so I was stuck here listening to my classmates babbling on and on about lesson objectives and all that crap that we have already discussed in our subjects last semester.

            I took out a packet of gum and opened it while trying hard not to fidget in my seat.  Gum was my addiction, keeping my mouth busy chewing while the rest of my body remained still was the only way to keep my sanity. I was the type of student who easily got bored with lengthy all lecture discussions and this often led to me becoming restless in class. It wasn’t helping that the reporter herself seemed to be uninterested in the lesson as I was. She as speaking in class in a very stoic manner it felt as though I was listening to a eulogy. Taking out my notebook I began to write a poem about boredom. I did it so it would appear as though I was listening to the reporter.

            Our professor Mrs. Dimasukol was a keen observer, if I don’t appear as though I was listening to the lesson she would call my attention and maybe ask some random question about the topic for today. I shifted my glance every now and from my notebook to the wall where the reporter projected her work. She was discussing about the different types of assessment which is something we have been discussing over and over again since 2nd year. I managed to yawn secretly while hiding behind my classmate’s head.

            The class seemed to go on forever! I glanced at my clock and almost cried out in annoyance when I saw the time. It was still 10:30 am our class would end on 12 pm! How the hell am I going to survive this long? I groaned upon glancing at the clock yet again. At times like this I regretted choosing the course I was in now. Why did I have to choose being a teacher out of all professions? I could have been a chef or a lawyer or even an architect!

            I was on the verge of resting my head on my armchair when I felt Ma’am Dimasukol’s eyes on me. I sat up straight fast and just decided to take out my frustration at my notebook. She is certainly an annoying teacher I wouldn’t be this bored if only she was doing her job properly! Heck with the whole inductive method it’s not like she was providing guidance while we reported! All she was doing was seating around while letting the students figure everything out on their own without even the slightest idea as to what to do! She was a freaking lazy excuse of a teacher fattening herself up with salary coming from people’s taxes! It was no wonder the College’s performance was losing quality; there are so many lazy professors in the college.

            I managed to put all my anger into writing and pretty soon I had a 6 paged one shot story about a young girl caught up in massive zombie disaster. I sigh contented with my work and began to compose a poem about a chair. I was going nuts this was obviously a sign of it. I was about to start another poem about the whiteboard when the door to our classroom opened and a student came in. He talked to Ma’am Dimasukol and said something about a meeting. The reporter continued to talk aimlessly in front while some students started talking.

            Ma’am Dimasukol went in the front and told the reporter to sit down. She announced that the class would have to end because the dean called an emergency meeting. I knew it was all about the President of the Philippines upcoming visit to the city next week. She was sad to dismiss us early and said that the reporter would just have to submit a written report since our final exam would go on as scheduled. I was jumping for joy inside!

            We were all happy when we left the classroom. I was busy texting my BFF Jessica Jung about my happiness.

            “I was literally about to die of boredom!” I texted while I walked her reply came quick saying “You always feel like you are about to die of boredom. I sure you have ADHD it’s just undiagnosed.”

            I replied back with an irritated expression. I called her and waited as she picked up the phone. I used a picture of picachu as her icon in my phone. I was a bit annoyed when she wasn’t picking up faster than I wanted her to. Was she texting someone else?!

            “What took you so long?!” was the first thing I said as soon as she answered.

            “I was buying lunch genius. I’m at the CED canteen join me if you want.” She replied. I immediately dashed towards the canteen which was located on the 1st floor of the CED building. As I entered the canteen I spotted her easily. She was typing something on her laptop and had this serious expression on her face. Her food which consisted of chopsuey, fried fish and rice was next to her laptop untouched. I smiled inside knowing that she was waiting for me. I made my best puppy face as soon as I was near her. She didn’t notice that I was already in the café until I sat beside her to her left and tugged at her sleeve. She looked at me with one eyebrow raised. I gave her the most

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter